Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I've finished testing two Power Blenders.
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 04, 2007 03:57PM

If you want to call them that. I understand that BlindGuru.com is now selling a 20 AMP, 2400 Watts, 5.4HP Super-Power Blender. Has anyone heard the price? I bet it's out-of-sight. I saw his Video on it and it's just too much blender for me. I'd like to hear about it if anyone here buys one.
Anyway, the Waring XT and the Vita-Prep 3 are the blenders I compared. I had two Green Smoothies a day, preparing one with each blender. After several days of this, I concluded that I like the VP3 better. It has more Power, and just 'feels' better overall. Things like the Power Cord and rubber Top Mount were important to me. The XT is a very good blender, and you can't go far wrong with one.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I've finished testing two Power Blenders.
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 05, 2007 04:53PM

WY

What the hey does anyone need a 5.4 horsepower blender for??..

Perhaps in the busiest of juice bars or restaurants where the fruits & veggies are tossed into the carafe whole & the power cranked on??..

I can't imagine the noise that it puts out!!..

I'll also bet it needs an enclosure in order for the noise output to be tolerable??..

Thanks for the blender reviews lately..

Bruce

P.S.

Raw Guru is really stoked on blenders..

After I called them to ask about returning the Blend Tec that I purchased from Raw Guru before I got my Vita-Prep 3, he called me back & spent the better part of 5 (or more) minutes trying to do a hard sell on the Vita-Prep 3..

His enthusasium is overwhelming, & the hard sell put me off of the Vita-Prep 3 for several months..

I eventually got the Vita-Prep 3 from another online purveyor at an even better price than Raw Guru was offering it at..

I never would have looked further than Raw Guru for another blender had he not initially given me greif for wanting to return the Blend Tec; & then spent so much time trying to get me to immediately committ to purchasing the Vita-Prep 3..

His obvious disappointment with my not purchasing the Vita-Prep 3, right then & there, is the prime reason I haven't had much to do with Raw Guru since then..

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 05:07PM by baltochef.

Date: November 05, 2007 05:11PM

WY

Sorry for the mini rant on Raw Guru!!..

For some reason my brain did not pick up on the fact that you had stated that Blind Guru, not Raw Guru was selling the 5.4 horsepower blender..

Be well

Bruce

Posted by: Libra ()
Date: November 06, 2007 12:07AM

Bruce,

Why did you return the Blendtec? Did you find the Vita-prep to be that superior?

Date: November 06, 2007 01:57AM

Libra

I returned the Blend Tec for several reasons..

My evaluation of the blender comes from the point of view of a professional chef who hates to spend money on poorly constructed tools..

I spent several months online researching blenders..

I had narrowed my choices down to one of the 5000 series Vita-Mix blenders, or the Blend Tec..I was not aware of the Vita-Prep 3 at the time I purchased the Blend Tec..

I purchased the Blend Tec on the strength of the written reviews on the Raw Guru website, as well as their enthusiasim when speaking to them on the phone..

After recieving the Blend Tec & using it for several weeks I came to the following conclusions..

First, I did not care for the looseness of the lid as it fit onto the carafe..

Second, I did not like the construction of the carafe at the base where it fits onto the motor body of the blender..I can't pin down an EXACT reason for not liking it, it just did not seem RIGHT..Gut instinct & opinion, but I've learned to trust my instincts in matters like this over the years..Every time I have let my brain & reasoning override my instincts, I've been burned..

Third, it was just too damn noisy!!..Even noiser than my 35 year old Oster Osterizer..The Vita-Prep 3 is much quieter in comparison..

Fourth, I did not care for all of the pre-programmed settings on the function buttons..Maybe I'm "Old School" in this regard, but I DON'T want to have to THINK about how to run my blender!!..I'm sure that the computer chips in the blender help to avoid overloading & straining the motor..But when you get right down to it; virtually every instance of overloading a blender is the result of putting too much food in the carafe, turning the blender on, & expecting the motor to be able to overcome more dead weight inertia than the blender was designed for..To my way of thinking the computer chips are in the blender to try & prevent ruin from owners who are too lazy to run it properly..If you allow for the proper amount of liquids, fats or water, in the carafe; then it is nearly impossible to ruin a blender, regardless of price..The simplicity of the Vita-Prep 3, with it's two simple switches & rheostat dial is much more to my liking..SIMPLICITY RULES!!..

Bruce

Date: November 06, 2007 02:30AM

Bruce....I didn't like the Programmed Cycles either, so the Blendtec was never an option for me. I noticed that BlindGuru tests four blenders side-by-side in one of his videos. The Blendtec was the Loudest, and also whipped a lot of air into contents......WY
P.S. The Waring XT won the contest, and that's what prompted me into buying one, much to my dismay. I couldn't get mine to perform the way BG did his.

Date: November 06, 2007 02:39AM

I'm really torn now... That thread about chemicals leaching from the plastic carafe has spooked me into the Waring with the stainless steel carafe. But reading how disappointed you are in the Waring has me bummed about my choice.... I wish one of the other brands offered a stainless steel carafe.

Date: November 06, 2007 02:51AM

Libra....I'd buy the stainless steel carafe from Waring and use it on the Vita-Prep 3 base, if I were you. The Polycarbonate Container doesn't bother me, like it does you. You can buy a Vita-Prep 3 on eBay. That's where I bought mine. Bruce might give you a better source.......WY

Date: November 06, 2007 03:00AM

I can definitely use the Waring carafe on the Vita-prep base?? I know the Vita-mix carafe works on the Waring, but didn't know if it works the other way around, too, although it makes sense that it would.

Although, then it starts getting really pricey. $500 for the Vitaprep and then another couple hundred, I think, for the stainless steel carafe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2007 03:04AM by Libra.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 06, 2007 03:08AM

you might wanna try advertising on craigslist or freecycle for the caraffe as someone somewhere might have one thats from a burned out machine....or look on ebay for that too smiling smiley

just an idea .. you might find one quite cheap smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 06, 2007 10:02AM

Libra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can definitely use the Waring carafe on the
> Vita-prep base?? Yes, I'm 100% sure. I know the Vita-mix carafe works
> on the Waring, but didn't know if it works the
> other way around, too, although it makes sense
> that it would.
>
> Although, then it starts getting really pricey.
> $500 for the Vitaprep and then another couple
> hundred, I think, for the stainless steel
> carafe...Yes, it's $180 at
[www.smallappliance.com]
and the Vita-Prep 3 is around $430 on eBay. It gets more complicated as the Waring blades are inferior to the Vita-Mix, and I'm only 90% sure the blades are interchangeable. You'd need a special wrench for both sets of blades. Maybe you should go back to the Drawing Board? What do you think?.....WY
P.S. Just trying to help.

Date: November 06, 2007 05:23PM

Libra

As to chemicals leaching into our foods as the result of blending; I have to say that this will be the least of my health concerns; at least until I am a LOT healthier than I am currently!!..

I cannot tell you what to do, but it seems to me that using a clear plastic Lexan blender carafe with a very small amount of chemical leaching per use, as opposed to an opaque stainless steel carafe; is a very small price to pay versus the health benefits that derive from the raw foods prepared in the plastic carafe..

The clear plastic carafe allows you to SEE what is going on while blending..I feel that is important to KNOW what is going on in the carafe during blending..

Using a stainless steel carafe means that you have to constantly start & stop the process of blending in order to check out what is happening in the carafe, due to not being able to see into the carafe..

Over heating food while blending is more likely to occur when using the opaque carafe as opposed to the clear one..

By the time that I personally reach the stage that chemical leaching into my food from blender use becomes a concern, I hope to no longer be using a blender..Instead I hope to be eating all of my foods raw with no fancy preperations to mimic SAD foods..

As raw foodists, I think that we have to pick & choose our battles as concerns what we are going to eat, how we prepare our food, the types of containers that we store & prepare our food in, the clothes we wear, the homes we live in & the materials that those homes are constructed from, where we work, where we live, the levels of toxicity that our homes & work environments present to us as we live & work in them, the vehicles that we choose for daily & special purpose transportation, etc., etc., etc..

By worrying too much & obseessing over the teeny tiny details BEFORE we as individuals have addressed the LARGER, more overriding things that will affect our personal & families health; seems to me a complete waste of time..

As I see things for myself, I need to focus on changing my life by observing the following steps (which ARE NOT written in stone!!)..

1. Start eating more raw foods--Fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, sprouts..

2. Eat organic where possible & practible, but at LEAST eat raw..

3. Change my environment where possible, practible, & senseable***Eliminate toxic things from my home--switch to less toxic clothing--replace plastic with wicker, wood, glass, metals--Change to homemade cleaning products emphasizing Boraxo, Washing Soda, Bon Ami Cleanser, vinegar, essential oils, Dr. Bronners soaps, etc..

Regarding clothing, the above will require some compromises as regards the vegan philosphy of NO animal products..As someone who has lived a great deal in the outdoors, both winter & summer, & lived in Alaska--I can tell you that if eliminating the toxicity of synthetics from our everyday lives as raw foodists is a real goal; then leather & wool are the only two options for safety & health when the weather is cold & wet..

Wool is the only material known to mankind, natural or synthetic, that retains enough of it's original insulating power (80 plus percent) when thoroughly soaked to prevent hypothermia & death when humans get cold & wet..Wool also GAINS heat when wet..It puts out 27 calories of heat per gram as it transforms from dry to wet; something that is unique on the planet!!..

Cotton & other plant based fabrics are fine (I actually prefer the feel of cotton over all but the very finest & most expensive wools) when the weather is good & we can COMPLETLY control our environment; but when the weather turns wet & cold, cotton DOES NOT WORK..

I fully realise that this will not sit well with the hard-core true-blue 100% vegans..The above three paragraphs & my sentiments reflect the assumption that the 100% raw vegan will want to completly eliminate ALL synthetics from the home & off of the body..Doing so does not give one a lot of choices in clothing materials if you live outside of the tropics where the weather NEVER becomes life threatening, temperature wise..

Sorry about the long post regarding the toxicity of the Lexan carafe on the Vita-Prep 3..

Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables