Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Star Juicer~ advise, tips, input please!
Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: April 16, 2008 06:06PM

Hi all!

I have had my GS for a few weeks now and finding I am becoming more and more dissatisfied with it. :-(

To start with I only used it one time and had to return it because it was defective. Took three weeks to get it back.

I watched the instruction video that came with it and they make it seem way easier than it actually is. Clean up is much more detailed than they say it is.

I have always enjoyed wheat grass shots from the juice bar and is one of the reasons why I chose the GS. I figured it would be cheaper to make my own. Well, I bought some organic wheat grass and proceeded to run it through the GS and the smell so overpowering, I though I would gag!!! Bad wheat grass??? Or is that normal?? I’ve never noticed this before when ordering wheat grass at the juice bar.

I proceed to juice my carrots & chard without cleaning the machine in between, as they say you can do. I had to throw away the quart of juice I make because it was permeated with the wheat grass smell & taste. YUK!!

Another thing is it produces a lot of foam when juicing greens!! I’ve heard it does that with fruit, which I have yet to try.

The biggest disappointment was when I tried to make almond butter (one of the MAIN reasons I bought it!). And it did NOT turn my almonds into almond butter. What came out of the chute were finely grinded almonds! I even ran the mixture back through the machine 3-4 times trying to turn it into almond butter!! And it did not even taste like almond butter. Unless I have some really bad almonds I can’t figure out why I can’t make the almond butter. Has anyone been successful with this? When making the almond butter is demonstrated on the video it shows it coming out moist and oily looking.

I would really like to hear from someone who owns a GS and is successful and happy with it. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated!

On the plus side, It does make wonderful carrot juice!!

Thanks in advance!
Denise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Star Juicer~ advise, tips, input please!
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: April 17, 2008 05:23AM

Sorry you're not happy with the juicer. I love mine! Hopefully this will help some:

For cleaning, buy a good vegetable scrub brush, and use it along with the normal one. It saves a ton of time.

Wheat grass does smell strong when you're juicing it, you'll get use to that. To me it smells like a fresh cut lawn.

When you make one juice, then go to make another, it should be done right away, and not sit. The pulp inside the juicer spoils fast and ruins the second juice. Also run a carrot through the juicer before you switch. The carrot will push the rest of the wheat grass through.

I tried several times but have not successfully made almond butter in the juicer. Soaking, then dehydrating the nuts helps, but my processor works better (sort of). The GS does grind a great pate' though. Not sure about how to make nut butter work, and wonder if they did not use roasted almonds in the video.

Good luck!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 17, 2008 10:06AM

1) yes wheatgrass doth possess a VERY powerful fragrance ( just like if u were to put garlic through the GS, everyone in the kitchen would know by their olfactory signals

2) sometimes the greens make a foam, just get the wooden plunger and stir it around a bit, its still fine...

3) for almond butter, u have two choices... put in the blank ( that has the opening ) and yes you will get fine powder...

or u can put in the blank ( without the opening) and it comes out in chunks

some people add flaxseed oil to it afterwards and put whatever spices they want on it to make it taste however they wish it to... like curry powder or agave or lemon juice or whatever... then spread it on celery

u just have to get creative ... that's all

and yeah, if u put wheatgrass in their first... stuff that follows will also taste like it

as far as the cleaning, it does take a tad bit of practice

but really, its not so bad

that little scrubby scrub thing that comes with it is quite a feat of engineering

it does EVERYTHING u need it to to clean the GS

it scrubs the cylindrical slots

it washes out the inside parts of the machine

and the hard to reach places

it only takes me just a few minutes to do the cleaning

i don't even think about it

its done before i think about what a potentially onerous task it could be

also u could listen to some catchy up beat tunes while you are juicing

and especially afterwards when u are cleaning up

this may make u associate cleaning up with good thoughts

i do that for stuff a lot

it works

put good music and then what u are thinking is colored by the good feeling

yeah, kind of like an elementary advise

not sure if it will work for u

Date: April 17, 2008 04:09PM

Lister to Ver...she knows best...

You see, The Lady Veronique is the:
"Princess of Juice Fasts" and holder of the "Royal Chalice of Living Emerald Juices"
...and a darn good creative writer!

Hi Ver!

Date: April 17, 2008 07:46PM

hey swimmer! ( hands wavingsmiling smiley

i thought u disappeared off of here
are u still SWIMMING?

hows it going?
i forgot what your favorite food was

was it melon?

<<You see, The Lady Veronique is the:
"Princess of Juice Fasts" and holder of the "Royal Chalice of Living Emerald Juices" >>

thanks for the vote of confidence... the truth ne'er did hurt any - buddy, u know? LOL!

Date: April 17, 2008 10:19PM

Hey Ver, I hope all is well!

Haven't posted cuz I've been swimming the seven seas with some of my dolphin friends!
Actually I haven't done laps in almost 2 years, but now my swimming days may be over. Two months ago, I tore up my shoulder and bicep (work injury). At this point, the way the workers comp. system is, I doubt I'll ever be able to swim again. (left hand only for typing & mouse) :-(

Yup, it was melons. Now I'm back into green smoothies. Oh and oranges for lunch!

<<thanks for the vote of confidence... the truth ne'er did hurt any - buddy, u know? LOL!>>

The truth is, my friend, the truth is! However, I still think using a veggie brush on the screen and gears makes cleaning my GS easier!

Date: April 18, 2008 02:52PM

geeez... i'm sorry to hear that u tore up your shoulder... do you have shooting nerve pains too?

hey yeah... that's what i said too... that the veggie brush works reaaaaal well on the GS.. i accidentally broke off the tip of the brush though( the one that had the teeensy eeensy pointy scruberoo on it) ... but the rest of it works just fine

i'm going to send some healing energies to your shoulder

let me know in one week if it has gotten any better

your swimming days are just around the corner

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: April 19, 2008 04:00PM

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I’m not giving up on my GS :-). Actually about the cleaning, the only thing I was having a problem with was the screen. It seems to take a bit of work to get all the carrot pulp out of it. I suppose I will just start getting up earlier so I won’t be late to work. And when I juice my wheat grass I will open all the windows and turn on the fan. :-). I don’t know yet how I will conquer the nut butter dilemma.

Swimmer- you say you make nut butter in your processor? Could you please tell my how you do it? Do you just add the nuts or do add water or oil? Thanks for your help!

Denise

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables