Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

broken jaw - mouth wired shut
Posted by: dinobambino ()
Date: June 02, 2008 07:39PM

i had a bike accident on sat. can only eat through a straw for at least 2 - 4 wks. good thing i have a juicer. how can i not lose weight? dont have any i need t lose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: broken jaw - mouth wired shut
Posted by: Spitfire ()
Date: June 02, 2008 07:47PM

Hi dinobambino, I'm so sorry about your accident. You could add flax oil to your juice and that would give you a dose of fat and calories. Juicing would be beneficial to your injury because it's antiinflammatory and aids in healing. I injured my wrist last winter and it was constantly hurting. When I did a one week juice fast, the pain went away and hasn't come back (knock on wood). I wish you the best in your recovery.

Date: June 02, 2008 08:17PM

spitfire..great idea, i didnt think of that. i've used it before and now i definitely need the fat

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 02, 2008 11:29PM

Hi dinobambino,

Drink nut milk too. Also, think about adding coconut oil to your juices. You'll be back on solid foods before you know it, without losing much weight.

Best regards,
Sharrhan

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 04, 2008 12:10PM

Maybe doing an actual fast would help you heal faster? You could add the Master Cleanse type lemonade and if you don't want to do maple syrup use Agave for the calories so you don't lose weight...

How about blending smoothies and just adding more water so it's drinkable through a straw? You could add fat to the smoothies, protein powder, nuts, whatever... Plus the fiber it would keep your bowels moving. You're not going to feel that great if you're constipated for 2 weeks.

Date: June 04, 2008 12:57PM

iveadded now a fiber supplement and fax seed oil to my diet. hopfully the fiber will begin to work soon. i'm trying to come off the pain med, so that i can start to detox. i havent had any today,but may need to succumb later,

thanks or all suggestions.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 05, 2008 10:50PM

hey dinobambino

real sorry to hear about your bike accident
i fell off a bike twice ( silly stuff)

and it hurt

wishing you healing

and those were good suggestions above

also, if u don't wanna lose weight and all, i was thinking of your doing isometric exercises etc. or whatever... though i don't know the extent of your injury * like what u can and can't do

but the above stuff along with gentle exercises
should work out so u don't lose any weight

and if u do lose weight

like it was mentioned, u can gain it back when u get on solid foods

take care

Date: June 05, 2008 10:52PM

hey dinobambino

i know this sounds like an ignorant question but the only reason i ask it is cuz i'm genuinely ignorant concerning this aspect

so the question is:

why did they wire your mouth shut? couldn't they just as easily asked you to maintain a posture where your mouth IS shut?

without the wiring?

just a little bit confused

is it cuz during the night, u might not have control over jaw posture etc?

did the accident crush the temporamandibular joint?

Date: June 06, 2008 01:11PM

lav..

i also broke 2 fingers on one hand they did sugery and i still have pins in my hands my neck has been sore since coming off the pain meds. so alot of exercise is out of question for now i do intend to walk soon Im staring to feel like that can happen hopefuuly sooon......been in so much pain exercise has not even been thought of till about today. Also my jaws on both sides were broken and dislocated. i already had no control of my mouth..they are trying to set my teeth back together by having my back teeth locked together. to be more specific about the location of the break it was the top of ramus of the mandible.
so far i dont feel like ive lost alot of weight (i have no scale,never have),but going to the dr today so ill see. i do feel like ive lost alot of muscle already. i know i'll be fine,but know it may take ahile to get back to where i was as far as exercise and shape.

thanks for everones ideas

Date: June 09, 2008 09:27AM

gee whiz dino

you really DID take quite a spill on your bike... wow, painful PAINFUL!!

sheeeez!

it makes me wince just to hear about it

i'm wishing you an extraordinary as well as expedient total healing

just curious if you are familiar with or are utilizing any energy healing

there are some good self help books out there on energy medicine... so , that way you can be in better "control" of the healing process

surprisingly, some of the techniques work pretty well
hope you find a set of tools that works for yousmiling smiley

regardless

you are definetely in my thoughts as well as prayers

Date: June 09, 2008 11:43AM

la..can you recommenn any good books. thanks for your prayers

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: June 09, 2008 09:36PM

I don't have any advice either but I just wanted to express my moral support. So sorry this happened! Sending virtual hug energy beams your way. smiling smiley

-DaveK

Date: June 10, 2008 11:09AM

thanks itzdavey

i appreciate all hugs and prayers. im doing much better. still dont have much of an appetite, so liquids are fine for now after 8 days i lost 2 1/2 . i hope i dont continue at this pace. i would hate to lose 10 pounds. lbs.

i go to the hand surgeon today and im supposed to start therapy.

Date: June 12, 2008 10:03AM

well, the one that i had and lent is called " Your Hands Can Heal You"

with your one good hand, i think you can still pull it off
takes a lot of focus, concentration and practice though... the cool thing is that YOU have a lot of control over the healing process because u determine how much focus, concentration, intent and time etc. u spend in doing it

works really well for the chakras too

I also read a book called " Matrix Energetics" by richard bartlett

interesting stuff .... it helps to read it just to understand that it really is all a matrix of energy and u can use your intent, mind etc. to manipulate it

I have two more energy medicine books that but for some bizarre reason, the names escape me. Lent one out to a friend and the other one is floating around somewhere in my book shelf. Will let u know when I ever find them.

My motto is : Do whatever works. Use all and every tool available. Keep searching ... leave no stone unturned... have faith... be patient... nurture yourself in the best way possible while you are in the healing mode.. cry a little ( or a lot) ... laugh a little ( or a lot)... its okay to be scared and admit it... but then go back to searching and practicing whatever tools u get...
get excited about every little improvement and more will come to you... be diligent in your practicing of all mind energy nutritional modes of healing...
make an assessment of the things you CAN do and do them if they bring you joy.. in fact, do a LOT of it... cuz it will help you take the edge off of the stress/pain etc.

been there, done that... hope i don't have to do it again... but who knows... accidents do happen...

wishin u the best

Date: June 12, 2008 11:03AM

wow laver.. i really needed to hear that. I've been disappointed this week. after having my fingers freed from the wrapping and starting physical therapy, I realized how long this is going to take. I will be a miracle when i can make a fist or even bend my fingers. I have the pins removed on the 20th. Hopefully at that point things will be more flexible. I go today to the oral surgeon to have bands loosend. Praying my jaws work better than my fingers.

I know i need to stay positive be joyful for any progress that I see. I'm trying, maybe need to try a little harder.

if i can get to the library, i'll check out those books, thanks.

I started juicing wheatgrass yesterday. Hopefully that will also help with a quicker recovery

Dino

Date: June 13, 2008 11:57AM

<<I started juicing wheatgrass yesterday. Hopefully that will also help with a quicker recovery>>

u better believe it

hang in there

go get those books

go to amazon cuz they have more newer, updated books and just type in energy medicine ... then it will lead u to one book ... then another...

look inside the cover of the book ( click)

see what is in there and if it appeals to you

there are so MANY almost INFINITE modes of healing

believe me ... they do work...the trick is to find what works for you

energy medicine is quantum healing

but doing all and everything else also helps as well

i always say to keep it "panoramic"

360 degrees

keep the cells pure and strong by inundating them with rich chlorophyllic and cleansing juices

keep the mind positive and strong by thinking about good things, happy memories and future goals that will make you happy

keep the body strong by doing what u CAN do at that moment
movement and breathing helps to cleanse the lymphatic system etc.

which helps the healing process overall

keep the spirit strong by laughing your head off at any chance u can get
but hopefully the laughter won't hurt you further

sometimes , depending on where the pain is... laughter can cause pain in the back, and certain damaged organs

but if it doesn't hurt you... i strongly recommend that you hang out with funny people

or cultivate a warped sense of humor so u can laugh about your predicament

hey.... whatever works, right?

Date: June 13, 2008 12:02PM

also just want to say that sometimes when an injury occurs , people have the idea that

everything can heal BUT the area that they injured cuz it seems like such an impossible thing to have injured

u may think that the mouth is "unique" "different" or "special" and not likely to be healed by different modes

but it is no different than any other area of the body

in the aspect that it is still made up of space and energy

same with the hands...

and teeth

and everything else

so don't give up hope even though u are going through an EXTREMELY rough time

nothing is impossible

believe it

and work towards it

and take some "time off" to get angry, punch the wall ( just pad it up a bit with something puffy) and/or get scared, cry... laugh.. then get back up on your feet again

and take a deep breathe and continue on

i feel for you cuz i know how its like

won't go into vast details but to make a long story short.. it was scary as hell

and it was also joyful and miraculous and well deserved when healing does take place

also don't let anyone shame u or make u feel like you "should have" healed by now

or that this or that "should have worked" etc.etc.

u don't need insult added to injury

it works if and when it works

healing can be gradual, linear... rapid

and sometimes it may be kinda mysterious and irregular etc.

but the best chance u have ( like i said before)

is the panoramic style

in other words

try all and everything

chin up

there's hope

smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2008 12:06PM

also another suggestion i have is to go to a local bookstore that u know carries a lot of books

a good bookstore will have an energy medicine or healing section..

riffle through those books and write down the titles

if its in the library.. that is good.. if not, go online and try to get it at discount prices

you are probably spending enough money as it is with all the medical bills

Date: June 14, 2008 01:46AM

someone brought over some books today on hand reflexology and foot reflexology. I'll definitely check out some energy healing book soon. I'm feeling tons better already but want to be healthy and back in business as soon as possible

Thank laveron.. for all you inspiration and input. I reallllllllly appeciate it.

dino

Date: June 14, 2008 03:41AM

those are good

but i think u need a lot more

good luck

use everything

i'm rooting for you!!

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:35AM

dinobambino sending healing rays your way. did you have a bicycle or motorcycle accident?

you've received great advice. as a fellow formerly broken boned person I just wanted to give you moral support and share that it does get better. i severely broke every bone in my leg/foot in a motorcycle accident, right hand and thumb. I have permanent pins in my thumb and i won't go into the details with my leg. let's just say i could give jamie sommers a run for her money. (for the younger crowd that's the bionic woman ;-)

my recovery was long and my joints were very stiff, including the thumb for quite some time. you think it will never happen, but eventually the innate intelligence of your body kicks in and you heal. my hand is as good as new and my leg is doing great.

physical therapy, acupuncture, healing visualization, nerve/redirection meditations that veronique mentioned helped me immensely. see if you can be referred to an acupuncturist - they are very good for redirecting energy sustained in traumas. helping with inflammed tissues and balancing the ch'i in stressed, taxed organs like the liver, kidneys & adrenal glands with the pain meds etc

i'm a woman and experienced severe muscle atrophy and yo-yo with my weight. lost, gained (binging on crappy foods during recovery) and lost it again. i'm stronger than ever now and i have raw foods to also thank for this. you will gain it back if you lose it.

best wishes and heal strong!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2008 02:36AM by rawangel.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:44AM

Another good book suggestion is Waking the Tiger, Healing Trauma by Peter Levine and Healing Your Body by Louise Hay

Date: June 25, 2008 03:51PM

raw angel..those words of encouragement mean alot to me. It's been 3 1/2 weeks and I was told last thursday, I needed the bands back on jaws full tight for another 4 - 6 weeks. It's becoming very frustrating and time consuming. I'm doing physical therapy now twice a week for my hand.

I found a book called your hands can heal you. I'm trying to get through it I'll also look for waking the tiger.

My fingers are somewhat better but have a long way to go to make a fist. I love hearing that your hand is as good as new. I hope I can say that soon.

Thanks again for all encouragement.

The only good thing so far out of this is I'm drinking alot of nice fresh juices. I'm having 1/2 a pineapple and almost a quart of strawberries.

Date: June 27, 2008 09:41AM

hi dinobambino

glad u got that book

its one of many excellent tools

treat yourself extra nice during this time and try to do stuff within your capacity that you feel buoyed up by

hoping your spirits continue to be renewed

understand your frustration

but things will get better when u least expect it smiling smiley

hang in there

Date: July 12, 2008 02:33PM

it's been 6 weeks that i've been on a liquid diet. In 2 more weeks there going to consider loosening the bands so that I can open my mouth a little bit. Will still be on liquids. Who knows how long this will last. I just can't wait to get these arch bars OFF. I've been about 75% raw. Never thought I would make it to that. I'd love to be 100% raw, but really don't want to lose any weight.

It's also been 6 weeks since I broke my fingers. Im regaining alot of flexibility in them, but there still very stiff. I've made wonderful progress considering how severe the fingers were broken. That I'm very thankful for.

Thank Laver.. I really appreciate your words of encouragement.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: July 12, 2008 09:55PM

Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm sure we've all been wondering how you were doing.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 13, 2008 03:46AM

Yes, we have. Hang in there!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: July 15, 2008 02:24AM

Hi dinobambino,sorry about your accident. In my opinion sunflower milk is the best milk to gain weigh,and also delicious,it is my favorite milk.
Just raw sunflower seeds,water and agave or honey.I always add some bananas too,or any fruit,but just the milk is delicious.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: July 15, 2008 02:30AM

Date: July 16, 2008 12:38AM

hey dinobambino

that is so cool that you have made such progress

EXCELLENT!
focus on that progress and you will attain more

i agree with cy
u can definetely gain weight or keep weight by consuming nut milk

or just making smoothies that contain avocado ( excellent source of fats)

it will probably speed up your healing process a great deal to be 100 percent raw

with the liquid diet

you are doing very well

u should be so proud of yourself

what did u think about that book " your hands can heal you"?

there are others

my friend whom i have lent it to hasn't found them yet LOL smiling smiley

but will let u know if he ever does

powerful stuff

i mean it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables