Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

CONSUMER REPORTS ON BLENDERS-WANTED TO SHARE THIS WITH THE GROUP
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2009 02:02AM

Multifunction machines claim to combine the functionality of a blender and a food processor. The Vita-Mix 5000 (shown) is billed as "10 kitchen appliances in one." This tall, heavy, and pricey machine did well in our blending tests, though less-expensive models did just as well. The Vita-Mix excelled in most of our other tests, though it is loud and not as easy to use as some basic blenders. What the high price gets you is versatility. We tested two of its many claims. The Vita-Mix mixed banana-bread dough well, but cleaning out the dough was a chore. It also made a smooth, creamy ice cream and did a very good job with salsa and blueberry-pancake batter.

The Blendtec Total Blender is another multifunction appliance, which, says the manufacturer, can "Blend, Chop, Grind, Freeze, Cook, Hash, Crush, Mince, Dice, Mill, Purée, and Much More!" The Total Blender excelled at making smoothies and crushing ice. But that power and performance come at a price: This blender is extremely loud.

We also made banana bread, ice cream, salsa, and pancake batter with this blender. The bread was a bit dense, the ice cream smooth though it had some ice crystals, the salsa was excellent, and the pancake batter was very uniform.

If having a do-it-all device is a priority, consider the Vita-Mix or the Total Blender--they both topped our Ratings. Otherwise, we'd get separate appliances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CONSUMER REPORTS ON BLENDERS-WANTED TO SHARE THIS WITH THE GROUP
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 15, 2009 01:45AM

[ This tall, heavy, and pricey machine did well in our blending tests, though less-expensive models did just as well.]

Thanks ryanwex. This says a lot to me.

Re: CONSUMER REPORTS ON BLENDERS-WANTED TO SHARE THIS WITH THE GROUP
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 15, 2009 07:30PM

I'd just be careful of buying something you haven't personally tried. I used a Cuisinart that was loaned to me by a friend and it is highly rated. (My friend bought it based on the research she did online.) And what a piece of crap! I am not saying all blenders that are not the Blendtec or Vitamix are crap. But, the highly rated Cuisinart sure is. It would smell like something was burning after running for two minutes for a spinach and apple and water smoothie. And it was much louder than the Blendtec. It was extremely annoyingly loud. I've heard the Vitamix is loud, but for the amount of power you get, ok. For what the Cuisinart does, the loudness is not worth it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables