Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

blender or juicer for complete newbie
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2009 07:13AM

Aloha from Waimanalo on the island of Oahu in the 50th State Hawaii. I need your kokua (help). I've done some researching on the internet, but still don't know what my 1st purchase of a juicer or blender should be. I realize that my current eating lifestyle needs to change (currently transitioning to be a veggie) for optimal health and well being. I'm willing to spend up to $400 (including shipping). Oh, by the way, the purchase would be for myself and my partner. We're both 52 years young.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blender or juicer for complete newbie
Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: March 05, 2009 07:58AM

I would suggest a blender, vitamix or blendtec seem to be the way to go, as you keep the fiber intact, they are easy to use and clean, green smoothies, lots of fruit and greens, check out this and some other raw forums about raw foods in general, basically lots of fruit, greens, veggie fruits, in abundance, and use nuts/seeds/fatty fruits more sparingly. 80 10 10 diet by Doug Graham is a good resource to answer many of your questions.

As far as juicing, the main reason I am utilizing it is for getting my greens in until my gut heals up enough to incorporate enough in green smoothies or on their own, but still exploring this area. Some of them are used as food processors to, but hey so can a blender, but some of these tasks are hard on the blades so I have heard to keep them separate.

Definitely research for a bit and find the best deal, you can get the new vitamix (refurbished) for I think 380 with shipping and entire warranty, and blendtecs for perhaps similar price? There is a new BPA free container that many like, some folks here like a higher HP and go for the vita prep or blendtecs, basically the vitamix has a tamper and different blade, the blendtec makes a vortex with less blades and has no tamper, and has buttons for pre-programmed cycles, whereas vitamix has a dial for speed control. The blendtec does not have BPA (toxin) free plastic container yet.

There are cheaper blenders to get you going too like the oster beehive, basically the high powered blenders are way faster and longer lasting, I gather, and can chop finer, though I will have to run some tests myself.

Some juicers are suited to certain items as well, for instance centrifugal juicers don't do greens that well.

Date: March 06, 2009 01:13AM

Ebhak: I'm hijacking this thread. I'm curious about your gut healing. I'm working to heal my leaky gut, too. How did you discover yours - what were your symptoms? And how do you know which foods to avoid to heal your gut?
Thank you, Dee Dee.

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: March 06, 2009 04:30AM

Hi DeeDee!

You want a short or long version?
Short version: Due to diet, lifestyle, and quackery my body was Ulcerative Colitis'ing from age 19 and diverticulied (I use the verb because we don't have it our body is just doing it) about the same, the symptoms have morphed throughout the years (5) throughout my changing habits on all levels.

At age 19 I had some weird feelings in my ribs, possibly after I was punched there, I don't remember the chronology. In retrospect it was likely just weak musculature as I experienced it a few weeks ago, not sure. In any case, without going into my whole history, I had put weight back on and was eating poorly, as most around me did at that university, after losing weight in high school from a previously overweight state and poor diet.
I went to the quacks (docs) at the college and they told me it was my ribs, and directed me to take large doses of ibuprofen, 300x 3x a day, I expressed concern and lack of results after a month, and was told to continue, during this time I had requested MRI, CT, other scans. Eventually, and I was unhealthy in other ways sure, I started passing blood in my stool, and was told that there was no blood by the same people, so I went on spring break bleeding internally for weeks eating horribly, drinking, and more.
I finally had a gastroenterologist appt after my return, , it took him 5 min to say I was bleeding needed a colonoscopy, I got one, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I was told no dietary changes were needed except avoid cruciferous vegetables and high saturated fat and fried items. A few months later I was in the ER and almost had my colon cut out, was on IV anti-biotic, parasitic, and morphine for a week, no food water nothin'.
I also had a friend bring me my vaporizer for that week, which maybe helped? Maybe symptomatically but not overall in the NH view. I had flare ups here and there over the years.

So in general, I was on painkillers on and off, for years, local-anti-inflam plastic pills for years, eventually went vegeterian, worked out alot, got off all meds, and was ok for a bit, then I took herbal supplements, changed my habbits again, had some setbacks, started excercising again, more supplements, was ok for a while, then had some more gut setbacks after an injury on other levels, more auditory,nervous,musculo-skeletal, (long story) that I am still healing from. I noticed during certain intense activities that my gut still needed healing, and was not there yet.

During this time I found raw foods, first the gabirel cousens high fat high supplement approach, and tried it out a little bit, noticed first off I had no energy to bike really, and eventually found 80 10 10, ala Doug Graham, or a high fruit low fat raw diet. This has felt the best in my gut, I went back and forth numerous times and cooked just hurts in many ways compared to this, I stuck with it for weeks and it just isn't on the same level at all. I am juicing my greens at the moment as I don't think I can handle as much roughage as I need, although when excercising, eating enough fruit, don't need a ton of greens or celery but enough to meet mineral/protein/EFA needs. Usually this happens by default when we eat sweet juicy ripe fruit in abundance, and voluminous amounts of greens and/or celery, veggie fruits, etc. I don't eat nuts or seeds or avocados at the moment but would in moderation later on. I try to mono-meal fruits, this feels good.

have you heard of 80 10 10? What is your diet like now, what is your gut like now? A short water fast lying down resting may be very beneficial but anything over a few days you want qualified supervision.

David Klein wrote a book "Self Healing Colitis and Crohns" he uses some steamed veggies at some points, not necessarily required, I juice greens and eat fruit.

Please feel free to PM me or ask further ?'s, I wish you vibrant health, wholeness, and peace.

Love and Light

E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 04:31AM by Ebhak.

Date: March 06, 2009 07:57AM

Thank you, E! I knew that it must have been providence that brought me to this site. I have had Ulcerative Colitis for over 35 years and have been taking various medications from the beginning. Fortunately, I haven't had to undergo any of the surgeries or trips to the ER.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for your input. I'll look for the 80 10 10 diet book and "Self Healing Colitis and Crohns". I'll keep on looking for a blendtech or new vitamix blender.

Hopefully, I'll find an answer to healthier lifestyle.

With love and light (this is how sign to my family and friends, really).

Brian

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 09, 2009 03:52PM

nonoBrian,

Here's a volume of info about blenders from the owner of this very site!:

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Good luck with your purchasing and with your decision to go Raw!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables