Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

water in blender drinks
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:13AM

Hello,
I am a newcomer to raw and living foods, and I'm a little confused about one topic. When I explored the juicing and blending recipes, I noticed that water is not included. Is that because it's common knowledge that water is used, and that everyone knows how much to use; or because the amount of water is up to the maker; or because no water is supposed to be used? Can anyone answer this one?
Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water in blender drinks
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:22AM

Hi pandito!

Welcome to the awesome raw food lifestyle. Different folks make their smoothies in different ways; some do add a bit of water or ice cubes, I've known some who even add a bit of flax oil. I don't add any water to juicing recipes, as they are liquefied enough on their own.

For smoothies though, unless you are using really juicy fruit, they can get very thick, almost a yogurt-like consistency that you would have to eat with a spoon! In those instances, I will add a bit of purified water, just enough to get things going.

It is a matter of personal preference.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:23AM

in the blender you can use water if your smoothie is too thick to blend or too drink or some of us use coconut water from young coconuts smiling smiley

you shouldnt need to add water to juice unless you really want to stretch it out smiling smiley i wuoldnt do this , it would dilute the juice smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 26, 2009 02:40AM

I agree. Smoothie thickness is a matter of taste, but I think most people feel the need to add some liquid, depending on the water content of what is already going into the smoothie. Water is a good option, or coconut water, or juice. Instead of adding oranges, I sometimes manually juice them and add just the juice. I've never been able to tolerate much of the bitter orange rind, and this method gives me a smoother smoothie. I have also sometimes included green juices as the liquid base of a smoothie.

You can absolutely add water to your juices if you want, as well. I don't think that this is as common, but it's good if you feel the need to hydrate. Juice has so many wonderful nutrients suspended in it, that its liquid base can be too busy holding all of that to hold anything else. Watered-down juice has a greater potential to suspend/dissolve more things, which is sometimes exactly what your system needs.

Posted by: deenis ()
Date: June 26, 2009 09:58AM

The Gerson Therapy diet says not to use water. Patients can only have juice. They theorize that the lack of water makes it easier for the cells to utilize the nutrients. hmmm

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:53PM

Thanks for your information and advice, everyone. It was very helpful. I like the idea of putting a little flax oil or coconut milk in. Or perhaps an ounce or two of liquified wheatgrass??
Pandito

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables