Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Disappointed in Samson juicer =(
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 02, 2009 06:27PM

The machine part of it seems good and strong and sturdy, but the removeable parts (all the pieces you need to USE) seem very flimsy and easily breakable. The shoot is also very small and I have to cut up all my ingredients very tiny to fit down the shoot, and even then I have to really push them through, which seems to put dangerous pressure on all the plastic pieces and connections. I'm afraid it will break. I might just return and go back to my Champion Juicer. Don't have any better ideas since I can't afford the super-expensive Norwalk or something like it.

Does anyone else here use the Champion and what are your thoughts? Thanks.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disappointed in Samson juicer =(
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 02, 2009 07:43PM

i think if you are not happy with the Sampson you should return it as you are just not happy with it and wasting energy on being unhappy with it smiling smiley

use the champion untill something changes for you, and you can afford the equipment that will serve you the best way you need it too smiling smiley

keep an eye out for deals , put it out to the universe (and everyone around you) that you are looking for a solution to this and keep your eyes peeled for opportunities smiling smiley can you work a little more somewhere to make a few extra $$ to put away for this something special? smiling smiley can you sell some things you really dont need or use to add to your SUPER DUPER JUICER fund? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 02, 2009 08:35PM

I had a Champion that I used for a few years. It gets the job done, no question there. Some are concerned about the fast rotation of the cutter, that it heats the juice too much. Some pulp also will get into the juice, you may want to strain it some.

My Norwalk is excellent, but can be time consuming, unless you have a second person to help with the process. I also have the Samson, & I do tend to agree with the things you mentioned; Although, in reading many different forums, I have not read where anyone has broken the chute area, etc., from excessive force.

It probably has happened, though. I know it is a pain, but if you cut the pieces up small enough, you really do not have to apply that much force, except maybe for harder vegetables, as the auger will sort of grab them & chew them up on its' own.

I will feed carrots in without cutting them, & I know they do "bump, bump, bump" while the auger takes bites out of them, but it still hasn't been a problem for me. Maybe the reason I like it so much is the fact that I don't have to wear hearing protection while using it!

I wear ear protection while using the Norwalk, because this thing sounds like a small jet aircraft taking off! The Champion is kinda loud too, as I recall, & even some of the centrifugals bother me.

So, even though I do agree that the chute feed is a bit small,& the plastic could be a bit sturdier, all in all I am happy with mine. I use it daily, & it has not let me down yet.

Date: July 02, 2009 10:59PM

I share the same concerns about my Champion and also about ones like Jack LaLanne's (which I wanted to buy for a long time). But the JL looks as dangerous as the Champion because of the blade design. I like the auger style much better on the Samson. Is there is sturdier brand of juicer with these 2 options:

* Same or similar auger style like the Samson
* Hopper position on the TOP of the machine like the JL juicer, for more satbility (Even though it doesn't require alot of pressure, I don't like putting ANY force down on that plastic attachment on the end of the Samson, but sometimes I have to push hard to get pieces through that get stuck in the tiny shoot)

Thanks so much helping me with my search.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 02, 2009 11:11PM

The part that you are concerned about, the Drum & Guide sells for around $20.00. Not that much of a replacement cost really, although if it were to break I suppose other parts could be stressed/broken as well in the process.

I don't know if the Omega single auger juicers are stronger in this area or not.
A few on here have an Omega, I believe Wheatgrass Yogi is one. You might also want to watch some youtube vids on the other models to see if they flex while feeding food into them.

Here is a review site that I found helpful when making my decision.

[bestjuiceextractorreviews.com]

Date: July 03, 2009 02:02AM

Thank you all for the in-put and especially for that website above, Juicerkatz. Based on more research, and finances, I decided to keep the Samson. It seems to be very little difference between the Samson and the Omega that was voted the best on that website. So, I'm keeping this one and will just use it carefully. It's definitely easy and fast to clean and very low-maintenance, so we'll go with what we have. Thanks again. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 03, 2009 02:13AM

"It's definitely easy and fast to clean and very low-maintenance, so we'll go with what we have." Definantly low maint.!

And really, I don't believe I would be overly concerned about the flexing of the unit. I know it does appear to break easily, but as I mentioned, i haven't read of an unhappy owner with it yet.

Also, I feel that Samson probably took that into account & designed the unit with a fairly tough material to withstand the stresses put on it.

Happy Juicing!!!

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: July 10, 2009 03:59AM

the single gear samson is really not a very good machine. i must speak up and let those who do not know much about juicers

it is acceptable for someone who does only green leafy stuff, but in my opinion... those who tout it as a suitable machine for serious juicing are somehow mistaken.

it is avery weak machine and it evan looks like its "bobbing up and down with its snoot" when much of load it put on it. i just do not understand how a knowledgeable juicing person could recommend samson to anyone.

of course this is my own subjective opinion and i do concede that it would be better than no juicer at all. but certainly not something i would spend hard earned dollars on, in fact i would politely refuse it if someone were to offer it to me for free.

i would actually pull out my old norwalk (which i really don't like because of it cumbersomeness) before evan considering the samson. sorry guys..but i'm just being truthful for the newbies who may be listening in.

juicin' john

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 10, 2009 05:10AM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...... sorry guys..but i'm just being truthful for the
> newbies who may be listening in.
LOL. As always, JJ has the Tact of a 10-lb
sledgehammer.
Kind of reminds me of myself....WY

Date: July 10, 2009 11:34AM

> LOL. As always, JJ has the Tact of a 10-lb
> sledgehammer.
> Kind of reminds me of myself....WY

Agreed, lol. I know JJ is into the Greenstar/Greenpower, and that is fine. I had one of those years ago, & while a great juicer, I found it to clog a lot, and take forever to juice with.

I suppose they have made some design changes over the years to minimize that situation. JJ, not everyone can afford to or even want to purchase a $400-$500 juicer, and for those, a single gear unit is just fine.

I personally wouldn't discourage someone who wants to juice because they chose to buy one. I have family members who use cheap centrifugal units that I personally abhor, but I don't give them a hard time about it.

They know what they are using & satisfied with it, & they know what I use. To each his own, I suppose. I do find one this interesting;

Warranty on the Samson -
10 Year Warranty on Motor
Other Parts - 5 Years

Warranty on the Norwalk -
12 years all parts.

Warranty on the Greenstar -
5 years all parts.

Of course, the Norwalk, being built like a tank should last just about forever, barring any problems with the hydraulics; Mine is a '93 model, & runs like a top!

Again, not trying to badmouth the Greenstar at all, just saying that everyone has different needs/budget.

Cheers, juicerkatz winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 11:37AM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 10, 2009 02:07PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again, not trying to badmouth the Greenstar at
> all, just saying that everyone has different
> needs/budget.
Samson has redesigned the Juicing screen since I owned
one. I used my Samson 6 in 1 for many years, but knew it's limitations.
I never juiced Carrots with it.
I've found it best to use a Juicer(s) that is easy (fun even) to use,
and not too difficult to clean (Samson can be included in this list).
Then you'll be more likely to include some fresh Vegetable Juices in
your Diet....WY

Date: July 10, 2009 03:19PM

Juicin John - Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate straight-forward discussion, as long as it is not condescending. Some of us on limited budgets cannot afford a Norwalk juicer. I already have a good Campion juicer, but have concluded (by research) that it might be harmful to the enzymes in the juicing process. I also agree with your points about the Samson for all the same reasons.

HOWEVER.... You don't give a good alternative suggestion for those of us who cannot yet afford a Norwalk. winking smiley Any thoughts?

Thanks. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 11, 2009 11:15AM

plainlydressed -

juicin john is not on here all that often, so I will point you to a thread he started a short while ago in regards to your question. It is in this same subforum & is titled "greenstar value!"

Date: July 12, 2009 12:25AM

Thank you juicerkatz. Just found the thread. winking smiley

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 12, 2009 03:38PM

wow...

jj

Date: July 13, 2009 03:10AM

plainly dressed

hi.

the single gear juicers are not very good despite what the two very personable gentlemen here have to say about how wonderful they maybe for them. they almost sound like a "twin brothers tag team" with their zealous dual responsing to my straight forward statement, be that as it may....

your husband may do well with the issels tratment which i have linked to you in your other posting. i think that they are also of a christian religious orientation.

very very nice people.

also there is a group called hallelujah acres which is also christian. i do not believe they have a clinic but if you call them they may know of one to direct you to.

[hacres.com]

just for the record the essenes were a jewish sect who separated from the mainsteam judaism somewhere around when the maccabeean revolt were taking place. the greek and roman influences on the judaic religous life prompted them to separate from the mainstream jewish religion and politics. most of the communities which they had established were wiped out when the romans under titus destroyed the temple in 70 a.d.

i would also strongly advise against the brian clement hippocrates institute. i doubt very much that you would find it amicable to your christian ethic.

juicin' john

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 13, 2009 01:52PM

I think it's just fascinating how there is no one juicer that is considered the nonpareil of juicers for raw foods purposes. Really interesting/informative discussion, guys.

For my part, plainlydressed, I use my Champion for root vegetables, and I make green smoothies with everything else. If I wanted something to juice greens, I'd probably shore up my appliance collection with an Omega. Or a Norwalk. Or a Greenstar. [bites fingernails]Er, whatever works best on greens for the warranty.

Date: July 15, 2009 11:10AM

Thank you for the helpful information, Juicin John. Very much appreciated. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables