Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Just got my Omega VRT
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 15, 2010 03:11AM

I just received my VRT from 2-Life.com for $305 including shipping on sale. Not a bad price. It compares very favorably with my other two juicers, an Omega Big Mouth centrifugal juicer and a Green Power Kempo 1304 twin gear. The VRT will be my go to juicer for leafy green and many fruits. Still going to use the Big Mouth for fresh lemonade the way John Kohler made his and also carrots/hard veggies and hard fruits.

The pro's include

* solid feel. Weighs a good twelve pounds. Heavy and feels solid
* very quiet, much more so than the other two.
* high quality juice, very little froth, deep color (see the Youtube video comparing a Hurom which is the same thing as a VRT with juice color from a centrifugal juicer. I experienced the same thing.
* pretty easy clean up - less than 5 minutes, adding water after juicing definitely reduces juicing time.
* smaller footprint, more shelf space left over

Cons are few and qualified

* the self-feeding nature of the auger was a little overstated for at least the leafy green I juiced tonight. I used the pusher most of the time. No biggie.
* a little more pulp in the juice than I would like, even with the fine sieve. Note: John Kohler has a new video on this where he says slowing down and waiting until the juice stops running before adding anything really helps. I think I will just process it and strain it through a nut milk bag.

All in all, a good investment. I'm content.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just got my Omega VRT
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 15, 2010 11:24AM

I am slowly warming up to this juicer from the comments that I read & also youtube vids. Since I now use a Norwalk, the wet pulp that you mentioned would bother me.

The time savings that this juicer would give me would be nice, however. I am considering either the Omega VRT or Breville Juice Fountain Elite as an addition to my juicing arsenal.

The Norwalk will be my main juicer, but when pressed for time, I could use something a bit faster.

Date: April 17, 2010 01:13AM

John Kohler solved my pulp issue. Just line the juice catch with a nutmilk bag and squeeze when done or drink the pulp.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:39PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......Just line the
> juice catch with a nutmilk bag and squeeze when
> done or drink the pulp.
I've found that juicing pulp a second time causes
Oxidation. Notice to see if the nutmilk bag juice is darker....
a sign it has.....WY
P.S. I'd hate to think I had to deal with a nutmilk bag every
time I juiced....Oxidation or Not.

Date: April 18, 2010 12:50PM

I understand WY. A couple of thoughts. One is John has said you said reduce the amount of pulp in the VRT by slowing down the feed rate which is no problem for me. [www.youtube.com]. I think I can drink the pulp that is in the juice without either slowing down or using a nutmilk bag.

Regarding the nutmilk bag, I understand that it isn't something you would prefer. Personally, it remains an option for me and it takes virtually no time to use or clean. As to oxidizing the juice, you may be correct. I don't know. The color of the juice is about the same color as the first pressing. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 19, 2010 09:43AM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....I think I can drink the pulp that is in
> the juice without either slowing down or using a
> nutmilk bag.
Drinking the pulp defeats the Purpose-of-Juicing.
I use a fine strainer to separate the pulp with my Omega 8004,
and 2 strainers with my Omega 4000...a coarse strainer for the
foam, and the same fine strainer for the pulp. I use a super-fine
strainer for Wheatgrass Juice.
I hope you enjoy your Omega VRT330. I don't mean to be negative.
I think it's just Great when I read about people juicing....no
matter what juicer is used.....WY

Date: April 19, 2010 02:07PM

WY,

That's fine. I know you aren't thrilled with either the VRT or Big Mouth. But hey what works for one may not work for another. I agree with you about the pulp is too much. Here I'd say I'd like a little less. But it's not a huge problem. My feeling is I have three ways to go, slow down, nutmilk bag or drink it. Anyway, I agree that it's great when we can juice and compare notes. I'm using my big mouth now for bitter melon as an add on to lower blood glucose in the morning. Best to you.

Paul

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 19, 2010 05:51PM

pborst -

you would need a hydraulic juice press to get every last once of juice from that nut milk bag. Alas, they go for over $300.00 new! I have seen them used for $100.00 though.

Why beat around the bush here...you need a Norwalk, lol! grinning smiley

I feel some of the vids on these juicers are misleading...I have watched quite a few featuring the Omega Vert where the gent or lady remarks on "how dry the pulp is".

Guess everyone has a different perception of dry pulp. The Norwalk for example, delivers "bone dry" pulp. After pressing, it is like a flat piece of leather that you can tear in half.

At this point, I am leaning towards the Breville Juice Fountain Elite...maybe because that crazy guy the "liferegenerator" uses one! grinning smiley

Neat idea, juicing in the motorhome storage compartment! -

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables