Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

omega vert- first impressions
Posted by: adrian ()
Date: November 30, 2009 05:00AM

okay, got my juicer. i quite like it. it's fast and as far as i can tell, the juice seems very good quality. if i still had my other juicers to do a side by side comparison, that'd be cool. but it's now the only one i have. my main concern was would it give as high quality juice as dual gear juicers? i don't know, taste wise from what i remember, seems the same. i've never tried the norwalk though.

anyway, i juiced 2 quarts in hardly any time at all and clean up was a snap. which for me right now is great. time will tell if it holds up to a lot of juicing. it doesn't 'seem' as sturdy as my hippocrates, but i don't know. we'll see. the pulp though is wetter than the hippocrates juicer, so i'm not getting as much juice. a few times i took the pulp and squeezed it through a nut milk bag. often i don't have time to do that. maybe i can refeed it through the juicer? may clog it though...

aside from that, so far, i very much like it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: omega vert- first impressions
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: November 30, 2009 10:59PM

i have had mine for almost a week now and have come to the conclusion that it is something of a cross between a juicer and puree maker. i say that because everytime i get an extraordinary amount of pulp in the juice as was stated in the you tube videos. i tried filtering it out with a large holed strainer and it clogged the strainer in a very short time. the amount of pulp in the juice is too much for the machine to be called a juicer. i have renamed it "the soft fruit puree machine". that is what i shall use it for...its not entirely useless and it is a bit of novelty to watch how it just "gobbles the fruit and veggies".

the whole process of juicing with it and having to strain the juice to get the pulp out is quite messy and time consuming.i have to say that the $320.00+ price tag is a bit much to pay for the soft fruit puree function which btw: ....it does well.

i also have a small problem of juice leaking out onto the sides of the machine but that may well be due to something i am not doing correctly.

since the pulp is so wet in comparison to greenstar and the pulp in the juice adds additional wastedness ....i would estimate that over a 5 or 10 year period of time a least a thousand dollars worth of juice will have been thrown into the compost pile.

to all of you who are in love with the "vert" ...i wish you well with your new machine.

juicin' john

Date: December 01, 2009 12:30AM

lol..soft puree fruit machine. i hadn't tried fruit yet, i see it doesn't do it too well, or maybe just the soft ones, something like apples may be okay? i'll have to try.

thanks for sharing, i like hearing others experiences and which juicer they like. i was actually more leaning towards greenstar, they are so expensive here. i thought this would do for now and the speed of it is a real plus for me. but...the pulp is wet, more than i expected and i'm losing a lot of juice.

the pulp in the juice i haven't found to be too bad, but i've not done fruit. it's been lettuce, chard, cabbage, celery, carrot. be interesting to see how it compares when used a lot, at least i hope to be juicing regularily again.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: December 20, 2009 01:31PM

The Omega Vert VRT330 Juicer is the best, easiest juicer I ever had. It practically self-juices.I've tested several and also have owned some for awhile. Never had the pulp issue or heard anyone else have it. Are you sure you have the pulp ejection plug in?

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: December 22, 2009 02:04AM

since using it a bit more now, the pulp isn't as wet as the first few times...maybe partially what i'm juicing, or maybe i didn't have that plug in fully...

the quality of the juice tastes great, i must say, as good as my hippocrates from what i remember.

yesterday i did a juice of only lettuce and apple, and that didn't work as well, a lot of lettuce was just spun around and shredded inside the blade and screen, but not juiced. i guess using some celery or carrot would help that.

all in all, i really like it, the ease of it is a huge plus for me...

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: December 22, 2009 07:38PM

Anyone know of a good price on the omega vert? Trying to decide between this one and the 8006.

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: January 13, 2010 09:44PM

I got a Hurom (same juicer--Omega just puts their brand name on it.)

I love it. Easy to assemble/disassemble, cleanup is easy, and the pulp is quite dry. It also doesn't take up much space on my countertop which is a major consideration for me.

I got it primarily to make green juice (kale, romaine, collards, chard, parsley and cilantro, cucumber, celery, ginger, and a little bit of apple). The juice is really good quality and very yummy.

I'm very pleased with it; I like it much better than the Champion I bought a couple of years ago (and will end up giving away),

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2010 04:39AM

Greetings!

My wife and I have been juicing on and off over several years and we recently decided to really dedicate ourselves to juicing everyday. This led me to think that perhaps our 10 year old Juiceman II would probably need a replacement soon. After scouring the web for information I narrowed it down to the Omega 8004/6 or the new Omega Vert. My main consideration was leafy greens and veges plus the abilty to do the occasional fruits. After watching all the videos on the web I decided that the vert was just going to be faster and easier to use in the long run. I open the box and put it together and the first thing I noticed is an obvious engineering change. The plug is now held by a pivot screw that prevents it from being lost. No second plug was included. We started off easy with a basic Celery/Carrot/Apple and the Vert gobbled it up. Spinach, Spring mix and beets went through like a champ. The pulp seemed drier but for a definative result a side by side must be made. The machine never bogged down,clogged or needed to use the reverse. I believe this is due to not pushing carrots in to fast, I'm sure you can jam it if you try, but it's not really an issue. What is an issue is that the juice seems to have more pulp than the Juiceman. So much more so that I feel straining is a requirement. We tried once to put the fiber back through the machine,it wasn't worth the effort. I guess I'll get a nut milk bag after checking that the plug is properly seated. I will report further after living this for a while. Overall first impression is positive, but with some reservations.

Date: May 18, 2010 10:08PM

hello everyone...well now having used my juicer more...i do see some negatives with it...i suppose there's not the perfect juicer out there that has everything in every way, so i don't want to be too hard on it...but i'm wondering about using multiple juicers again...

so these are some of the negetives...i find it not very good with handling celery, it's too stringy and gets caught in the pulp extraction chute, then there's only half the space for other pulp to squeeze past.

the pulp sometimes is not that dry still..refeeding it through doesn't work very well (refeeding it through with twin gear or the champion does work).

and juicing too many greens becomes a foamy mess. unless i have bulky items to mix and enough of it, if it's just a little leafy things it's fine, more not so good. yesterday i just used whatever i had which was chard, bok choy, a little celery, cabbage and apple. the juice was 2/3rds foam and foam coming out the top of the juicer. i tried juicing it mixing chard then pieces of the other things to cut down on the foam but it didn't seem to help.

well, seems there's pro and con to all of them. my hippocrates was great for green but took forever, so i don't know that best way..

i still like the omega...and it's very fast for quality juice. maybe there's a way to juice a lot of greens and it works better...anything to mix with that you guys have found helps? sometimes i don't want to use that much carrot, maybe more cabbage would have worked...

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:23AM

Celery does seem to be difficult for many juicers; Sometimes I will break the stalks or cut them into small pieced & feed them through, alternating with other produce.

I will generally alternate all my produce when feeding it through, even with my Norwalk. You pretty much hit the nail on the head though; there is no "one" perfect juicer for handling all items, although the Norwalk comes closest to anything I have used, IMO...

I do plan on purchasing the omega vert for the other members of my family to use, since there is less time involved in using it.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 19, 2010 04:46PM

I plan on getting the Omega 9004 soon. I watched numerous youtube videos and this juicer seems to be as good as anything out there and is a champ at leafy greens and wheatgrass. Maybe not a fast as the centrifugal ejection juicers but those don't do the greens as well or wheatgrass at all. I think that the Green Star is an awesome juicer too but it costs too much for my at this time. Even the Omega will be stretching my budget very thin.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 19, 2010 07:05PM

Nubster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I plan on getting the Omega 9004 soon.
Good decision!! But you'd better make that
the Omega 8004 since Omega doesn't make a 9004....WY

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 20, 2010 12:23AM

Nubster Wrote:
> I plan on getting the Omega 9004 soon. I watched
> numerous youtube videos and this juicer seems to
> be as good as anything out there and is a champ at
> leafy greens and wheatgrass. Maybe not a fast as
> the centrifugal ejection juicers but those don't
> do the greens as well or wheatgrass at all. I
> think that the Green Star is an awesome juicer too
> but it costs too much for my at this time. Even
> the Omega will be stretching my budget very thin.

Excuse you??? What is this Omega 9004; a new one??? OMG--is it supposed to be better than my 8006 and if so, why? As for celery, the 8006 will make a whinnying sound but big deal. You put other stuff in there and it cleans it out. I really am glad to have gotten the 8006 because I, too was debating which is the best and should I just wait to get the Greenstar, but I did lots of research, including Youtube and I am satified that I made the right choice!

Date: May 20, 2010 02:50AM

thanks for all the input. i'll try rotating the produce a bit more and maybe smaller pieces, that will help.

i do love how fast it is though and just gobbles the stuff down. keeping my other juicers would have been a good idea though, in addition to this one...i was too quick to sell everything! live and learn...

Date: May 20, 2010 03:57AM

You guys are very correct. I meant the 8004. I was also considering the Samson 9004 which is were I made the model number mistake. It is in fact the Omega 8004 that I am getting. Great catch on my mistake.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 20, 2010 10:47AM

Nubster Wrote:
> You guys are very correct. I meant the 8004. I was
> also considering the Samson 9004 which is were I
> made the model number mistake. It is in fact the
> Omega 8004 that I am getting. Great catch on my
> mistake.

I had the Samson 9004, recently sold it. It was ok as far as single auger juicers go, I guess. What I didn't care for was the inordinate amount of foam & pulp that is generated with this type of juicer.

When juicing apples especially, I was forever cleaning the sieve screen that fits onto the juice receptacle. I quickly grew tired of that issue. Also, the force that is required to feed most produce through those juicers turned me off after awhile - most likely because I am used to self-feeding machines such as the Norwalk.

If you can deal with those issues, then it is a great machine. Great for nut butters/sorbets/ice creams as well. Most feel the Omega is built "stronger". I can't say, since I have not used a comparable Omega model.

Date: May 20, 2010 04:15PM

Yeah...I like that the Omega is also a dual stage where the Samson is a single stage. In head to head tests on youtube the Omega generally seemed to produce just a tab bit more juice and did seem to be less foamy. I am pretty set on the Omega. Even if not the Omega I am 100% on the auger style juicer as I do green juices and will soon be doing wheatgrass as well.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 31, 2010 07:11AM

i had an omega prior to my greenstar ( slow... twin double auger cylindrical blades)

i will say that the omega was faster at doing the HARD stuff like

1) broccoli carrots, beets etc.
sometimes if i did too much carrots, the juice would spill from the bottom of the basket so .. hey.. juicin john.. you were NOT imagining that it happened to you as well

2) IF however, you are primarily interested in juicing soft leafy greens, you may strongly wish to reconsider

adrian mentioned that the cabbage she juiced just spun around and floated in the top of the basket

yes, this is the case

you need to put something hard with the soft thing TOGETHER in order for the soft thing to not spin around and get lost in the basket

that can be kind of a pain but if you don't mind.. then.. who cares

the pulp definetely is more watery and the pulp from the greenstar is SUPER DRY

so yes. there is an absolute difference in quality as far as leafy greens are concerned, you'll get more out of a greenstar

if , however, you want to do soft fruits in the greenstar,or any other juice machine including the omega for that matter

i would say... just do a very small amount because BOTH greenstar and omega seem to have some sort of morbid fear against too soft fruits

if you want to juice a harder fruit like an apple, it will take ( it will take slightly better in the omega if you just do a few pieces)

if you plan to juice a LOT of apples in the greenstar ( like 30 pieces)

forget it.. it gets all sloshy and then.. you wonder what the point of it is

the greenstar lives up to its name
it is good for GREEEENS

the omega is great for hard stuff

if you try to do the hard stuff in the greenstar machine

you have to cut it up into lots of little pieces

and it is laborious

but stuff like parsley, cilantro kale swiss chard collard greens and things of that nature, it does a good job

i think the best way to go is get a centrifugal juicer for the hard stuff
and a twin auger blade for the green soft veggies

i wouldn't be too picky about what centrifugal juicer you get because to me, they are kind of all the same in the fact that they spin quickly, oxidize etc.

so... the principle to keep in mind is that its EASIER to put in hard stuff like tons of broccoli, beets, carrots etc.

it will take forever to grind that up in a double auger blade

so.. i haven't used other double augers so all i know is greenstar is good for greens

okay, the only exception is spinach

spinach is a watery vegetable so just do a little bit of spinach otherwise it might get kind of sloshy

but the other green veggies

works like a dream

forget trying to put peaches raspeberries kiwis whatever

unless its just a very small amount

Date: May 31, 2010 06:46PM

Thanks la_veronique for your input. I would love a Greenstar but I think that the price ($200 more than the Omega) is prohibitive unless I find a used or refurbed unit. Actually, any juicer right now is out of the question as I just lost my job last week so it will be some time before I can consider any juicer.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 10, 2010 01:14PM

I can relate Nubster...but hey, somedaysmiling smiley and now you'l already know what you want when that day comes ^_^

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2010 01:32AM

Anybody read this ebook???? I heard it's pretty good. feedback ?
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables