Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green smoothie- nausea- help please
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 04:27PM

Hi. I am not a raw foodist but I eventually would like to be one. Yesterday I made my first green smoothie and it tasted so good and gave me a boos of energy. But about 20-30 minutes later i felt bloated and i wanted to throw up. I used 1 apple, 1 avocado, 1 banana, a handful of spinach and about 4 0z of noni. I still want to make green smoothies, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I did wrong? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green smoothie- nausea- help please
Posted by: Rastadevi ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:46AM

The nausea could be caused by any of the ingredients you used, or the combination. Every body is different, and since you are new to a high raw food diet, it could be that your body just was not ready to process that much green food.

Also, if you had been eating a high fat diet in the previous 3 or 4 days, the fat in your bloodstream could have caused the sugar to stay in your bloodstream longer than it would otherwise. That could definitely have contributed to your nausea.

Or, the green smoothie might have given your body what it needed to release some of the toxins that had been safely stored away in your fat cells. That definitely makes you feel nauseated. When I am detoxing on the raw diet, I try to stay very well hydrated. It helps my body release the toxins more quickly, and the symptoms of nausea are reduced somewhat. Keeping your fiber intake high also helps with speeding detox. Adding a Tablespoon of golden flax to a green smoothie is an easy way to bolster the cleansing effect. Getting plenty of rest as you heal and detox is also helpful.

I do green smoothies a lot, because they are so easy, and such a fun, delicious way to get greens into my diet in quantity. When I try a new green, I start with small amounts, see how I feel, make a note of it, and if my body is still doing well by the next day, I try the green in larger quantities a few days later.

Remember to rotate your greens - spinach one day, then romaine, then dandelion, then kale, etc. It keeps the alkaloids in the greens from building up in your system and creating resistance reactions in your body.

If you are interested in a book about greens, I would highly recommend Victoria Boutenko's Green for Life.

Date: January 13, 2009 03:12PM

Thank you! Blessings.

Date: January 14, 2009 11:46AM

You're welcome! I hope it goes well for you.

Date: January 14, 2009 12:34PM

This is a good video about smoothies by Sergei Boutenko, Victoria's son.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 14, 2009 07:35PM

Thank you! You have been so helpful. I made another smoothie last night and drank it really slow. I was fine. smiling smiley 1 more question....when you said this

Rastadevi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also, if you had been eating a high fat diet in
> the previous 3 or 4 days, the fat in your
> bloodstream could have caused the sugar to stay in
> your bloodstream longer than it would otherwise.
> That could definitely have contributed to your
> nausea.
>

I was wondering if avocados and coconut oil count as high fat which causes nausea. I like eating these but I would hate to trigger the same effect. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables