Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Norwalk Juicers
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 08:23PM

I learned of the Norwalk Juicer through the Gerson Institute. Link: [www.nwjcal.com].

Does anyone have experience with this juicer?

I see that this is a "cold-press" juicer, which does not heat the juice and cause it to loose nutrients.

Is this the only one of its kind? I'm not well versed in many types of juicers. It is just VERY expensive...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Norwalk Juicers
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 21, 2011 11:01PM

We talked about it here awhile back.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

The triturator/grinder can possibly heat the juice, well, pulp during the grinding process if you allow it to happen - but this generally does not occur, esp. with an experienced user.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 11:01PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: ron ()
Date: March 15, 2011 05:10PM

THIS WAS THE FIRST JUICER EVER INVENTED BACK IN THE THIRTIES AND IS VERY EXPENSIVE. I THINK THERE ARE OTHERS PRICED MORE REASONABLE THAT DO JUST AS GOOD OF A JOB FOR A HECK OF A LOT LESS MONEY AND ARE MUCH SMALLER SIZE,AND LIGHTER. I USE THE OMEGA 8003 AND HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: March 15, 2011 05:44PM

@ Eliza

Generally the preferred high end juicers are the Norwalk, Greenstar, Omega 8000/9000 (no difference except color) then there's the Omega Vert. I have been thinking about getting a juicer for awhile now for myself, personally I am only thinking about the Norwalk & Greenstar. We should really be juicing more greens than fruits or other things like nuts or whatever if health really is the objective.

You can get a refurbished previous generation (270s) Norwalk model with improvements: a thermometer as a reminder to add ice cubes to keep the heat of the triturator below 118 degrees & longer legs so you can use glass jars instead of the bags. It's aprox $300 less than a current stock model Norwalk 275. The only difference is the 275 has to the refurbished 270s is rounded corners on everything. Visit wholehealthfound.com for more info. Because you are not buying the Norwalk direct you miss out on the official 12 year warrantee, but the guy at wholehealthfound gives a 10 year warrantee, says you can often take the Norwalk into a local mechanic/repair shop and have the price reimbursed etc as opposed to shipping it to him and having him fix it. He knows everything there is to know about Norwalks, so when you buy from him it's not just a refurb Norwalk, it's his experience and streamlined workflow too.

I'm just a consumer, not affiliated with any company at all. Been researching this diligently on and off for a couple months. I like to know what my options are and that was what you asked for so here it is. John Kohler has great youtube videos about juicers on discountjuicers.com, does not have any on the Norwalk unfortunately (as he can't resell them) but if you want to learn about the others this is a great way to go.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:11PM

Adam,

I'm with you. I need to make some minor corrections.

adamlogan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ Eliza
>
> Generally the preferred high end juicers are the
> Norwalk, Greenstar, Omega 8000/9000 (no difference
> except color) then there's the Omega Vert.

hmmm. I would say Norwalk is in one class as juice press cost about $2500 new, Greenstar (and Greenpower kempo) as twin gears are next and run about $500 to $600 [Greenstar Elite is generally considered to be the best of the twin gears, but I own and juice my greens in the Greenpower Kempo which I consider to be a value for a twin gear juicer at $430 with a 10 year warranty, cf with Greenstar Elite at $529 and a 5 year warranty but has a 3 stage juicing screen vs. 2 for my Greenstar Kempo.

Single auger masticating juicers include the Omega 8000 series [horizontal 8004 and 8006 are the better designs - harder augers, better warranty] The 8003 and 8005 is the older style (color is the difference 8003 is white, 8005 is chrome/black). The 8003/5 has a melamine auger which is the older,softer auger. The 8004/6 is the same difference on color but has the harder Ultem auger. At $260 to $300, many people feel that these 8004/8006 juicers are the best value on the market. why? 1/10th the cost of the Norwalk but juices leafy greens well, less pulp than the VERT (will mention later). Also, you can do a lot more with the 8004 and 8006, make nutbutters, pasta extrusion, sorbets. You have a lot more flexibility. If I were looking only at one juicer, the Omega 8004 or 8006 would be the one I pick.

But poor me, I own a VERT. VERTs are good. Some nice things about them, wider feed shoots than the 8004/6, better with fruits and combo (fruit veggie juices). Can be self-feeding. But longer clean up times relative to the 8004/6, more expensie ($50 to $75), shorter warranty, can't do as much, just a juicer. Also pulpier juice [easily resolved with a strainer] Pluses are takes up less shelf space, less juicing time, better range of feeds.

Ok, but you asked about the Norwalk. I'd say if you have the $2500 and want to pony up, you will get the best quality juice at a price. But there are alternatives... John Kohler can put it better than I can. [www.youtube.com] oh almost forgot, I think both Curator and Wheatgrass Yogi own 8004/6s one or the other and can speak to their performance. Pick what you are going to be juicing and your price point and have at it. In a pinch Omega 8004/6!

Paul

p.s. Curator has been asking me to review this. I haven't had the time to click on it. {{{{ducking}}}} }winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 10:22PM by pborst.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:20PM

p.s. love my VERT!!! I use my Greenpower Kempo for the specialty stuff. Honestly, I'd take two juicers, a VERT and a Greenpower Kempo and call it a day. If it were just one juice, I'd take an Omega 8006, & pony up for the chrome/black.

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:18AM

Well put pborst. Watched the video till the end hah. Nice - never seen it before, laughed at the mullet, but dude he's got that mojo going! And the music is actually good compared to today's (my generation's) garbage. Whenever it would do a close-up on the vocalist's face I would think John Kohler? lol.

Anyways back to the topic. One thing I've been wondering during my consideration of purchasing the Norwalk, doesn't metal have a negative affect on produce or vice versa?

Posted by: MBS ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:50AM

Been using a Norwalk since 1996; one of the best investments I ever made.

Making juice is just a part of its value; I use the triturator to prep veggies for soups/salads far more than I juice these days.

I figure I have juiced 5+ tons of produce with it over the years, and its still going strong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables