Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Finally Bought a Greenstar 2000
Posted by: helovesyou ()
Date: March 23, 2011 01:19AM

After several days of research, I finally ordered a greenstar 2000. I sure hope I will be happy. It was a toss up between it and an Omega. Any thoughts or opinions on greenstar will be appreciated.

-Karen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally Bought a Greenstar 2000
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 23, 2011 04:48PM

A lot of people love them, I hope you enjoy your purchasesmiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:28PM

Karen....I'm not weeping, but I am close to tears. I owned a GreenLife, which is the big-brother to your GreenStar. I found it unpleasant to clean. That made all
the difference in the World to me.....WY
P.S. I ended up with a single-auger for Wheatgrass, and Celery, and a centrifugal for Carrot.
P.P.S. Let us know how you view the cleanup...maybe it's just me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:48PM

I am also not a fan of that juicer, it's very slow, it's hard to clean, it backs up in the chute a lot if you are juicing anything slightly soft or even wheatgrass.

That said, it has the best yeild, it supposedly produces the most nutritionally viable juice which lasts the longest if you are storing it in the fridge. If those things are worth it to you and you don't mind working hard to get them, this juicer will be a good fit for you. If you're like me and find it so tedious to use that you can't be bothered and it just sits on a shelf you may want to switch to an easier to use and clean version. Discount juicers has lots of info, videos and comparison charts to help narrow down your search.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 26, 2011 08:25AM

Is there any value in juicing carrots WY?
I read that carrot juice is too much sugar with modern carrots
I prefer to blend carrots

Date: March 26, 2011 05:47PM

madinah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read that carrot juice is too much sugar with
> modern carrots
> I prefer to blend carrots
I agree. I've given up juicing altogether (except
for Wheatgrass) in favor of Blending.
Juicer space on my counter is being replaced with a
Water Distiller.....WY

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 26, 2011 06:51PM

Very interesting WY. I am at the opposite end.
I have a blentec blender that is idle (will be replaced by a water distiller),
I no longer blend, I juice grrens and wheatgrass, and eat fruits. I have the greenstar 3000 and a Norwalk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 06:53PM by madinah.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 27, 2011 02:02AM

congrats helovesyou......

despite the few negatives expressed ....by a few regulars here who seem to like the single augur type machine.

rest assured.... you now own the finest piece of juicing equipment in the world!!

the magnetic and bio-ceramic features of this machine put it into an elite class of its own.

many years of reliable quality juicing are your reward for an astute choice.

juicin' john

Date: March 27, 2011 02:25AM

i forgot to comment on the easy cleanup.

the green star is really easy to clean i do mine in less than 5 min.

here is the method i use:

1. i fill my sink with water

2. i undo the latching arms and plop the whole thing into the sink of water.

3. in the other part of my sink i turn the water on and use the cleaning brush to rinse all parts except for the gears and screen.

4. the gears need to be brushed under the running water or in the sink with the cleaning brush and they clean up real quick.

5. the only time consuming part to clean is the filtering screen. i clean it by brushing inside the screen to break off the "little nubs" of carrot or whatever so that when i brush the screen on the outside portion under running water....it cleans up in a minute or two.

6. using your spray hose on your kitchen sink counter...bring the juicer motor body over to the edge of the sink and give it a squirt or two right onto the drive shaftickly (its water proof so don't worry) and wipe with a towel. ....if you do not have a spray hose on your sink just rig up "squirt bottle" of some kind.

i usually clean mine in less than 4 minutes.

clean up is mostly a psychological thing that almost everyone who juices...dislikes doing for some odd reason. however your reward for blowing past the procratination and negativity of the chore.... is a nice fresh cup of healthy juice. not a bad trade off.

juicin' john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 02:28AM by juicin' john.

Date: March 27, 2011 03:38AM

I'm hoping I didn't make the wrong decision. I read so many positive posts. Should I just return it and get something else that is easier to clean?

-Karen

Date: March 27, 2011 04:45AM

Watch some of the youtube comparison videos to see different juicers in action side by side. This one is good, pretty much looks like my experience with the Greenstar juicer I owned. Like I said, if the qualities of the Greenstar appeal to you and the clean up doesn't miff you, it might be the right machine for you to own.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 30, 2011 01:26AM

I received my juicer today and tried it for the first time and I'm not that crazy about it but maybe after a few times of using it I will change my mind. It's too heavy and a little aggravating to clean. I just hope I change my mind about it.

-Karen

Date: March 30, 2011 03:04AM

Karen....My Heart is breaking for you and your plight. If you think your GreenStar is cumbersome and no-fun to clean, you should have used Omega's entry into the twin-gear market...the Omega 8000. It weighed a whopping 32 pounds, and boasted to having the largest twin-gears in the industry. Omega soon discontinued this model. A friend had one, and I used it a couple of times. It was cruel-and-unusual punishment.....WY
P.S. Omega has never re-entered the twin-gear market.

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Date: April 01, 2011 10:02PM

cheer up heloves you.....you made the right choice. i have owned them all including the hurom slow (vrt) and the GS is all around the very best juicer in the world.

do not let the negativity of individual subjective opinions throw you off your game. follow the helping hints of my post regarding clean up.....cleanup is psychological and cleanup is part of the price we pay for good healthy juice.

i wish you good health and smooth sailing with your new GS.

[www.youtube.com]

jj

Date: April 02, 2011 02:03AM

here is a link to MJ Pangman on youtube talking about the exclusive extra benefits available from juices made with GS. the magnetic and far infrared bio-ceramic features of GS create an AMAZING "juiced product" .

check this out:

[www.youtube.com]

juicin' john

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 02, 2011 09:56AM

green star green star green star

this gets all the gold medals that it deserves
i've had mine forever after having gone through a LOT of other third rate
not even worth my time juicers that would spin everything into smithereens and have TONS of foliage still stuck in the basket because most centrifugals are horrible at juicing greens

greenstar is not that hard to clean up
u just use that brushy thing and you are done

u get the VERY BEST yield

if you look at the pulp

i GUARANTEE that it is TOTALLY DRY DRY DRY

meaning that nothing is wasted

i would not recommend putting hard stuff in it though

it was meant for GREENs like the name says

this was the best decision i have made in terms of buying a juice machine

i am a HUGE fan of greens

fruits.. mehhh.. not so much

greens are where all the action is at

chlorophyll is the gold
keep this in mind

and if you have two arms
and all ten fingers

and you are capable of swishing a little brush and cleaning it out

consider yourself extremely lucky

juicin john is right

this machine is the ELITE

of all green juicing machines

sheeeesh... i should be a rep for their company

though i don't do to well when i HAVE to do something LOLsmiling smiley

the watery stuff ( like fruits) it doesn''t do too well

unless you are just going to put in a few pieces

it WILL pulverize nuts if you put in that "blank" piece ( the one that has the square opening)

for hard stuff like beets carrots broccoli, use a centrifugal

for soft greens, greenstar is the best lil machine in town

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 06, 2011 03:57AM

i love my greenstar elite ... but im not especially pressed for time ..during prep, juicing or clean up

i dont find it hard to clean either

but i try not to get anxious over little things like cleaning an appliance i save my anxiety for bigger things going on in my life at the moment smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 06, 2011 12:28PM

Doesn't it bug you how stuff backs up the chute Jodi? That used to drive me crazy.

Date: April 06, 2011 06:12PM

coco....

without wasting alot of words trying to euphemize an appropriate response to the tersity of your obscure comment..."Doesn't it bug you how stuff backs up the chute....."

i will answer for the benefit of any and all whom might profit from.

backup usually occurs to those inexperienced ones who really do not have the intent or desire to make excellent juice from the GS....usually that person will have a "neggative flavor" in many of their attiudes in general and much more enjoy the complaining side of life more than the glorifying and gratuitous which by the way does more for me than the"other".

once a person learns how to use their GS.....(a learning curve which will vary from a few days to a few weeks"...if it takes longer than that you are obviously not juicing frequently enough...) the backup should rarely ever occur.

what causes backup? .....soft fruits and veggies which do not have enough fiber to push the pulp forward through the exit hole.

when juicing these types of things your must intersperse with a fibrous type such as carrot or celery or other which you may prefer.

example: cukes are low fiber and to juice cukes i intersperse with celery,sweet pepper, chard, kale, parsely, and i like to also add tomatoes which are very soft and so i must be sure to continue interspersing with a little carrot, beet and apple etc. the juice tastes phenominal!!

mealy dry apples will also back up as will macinosh apples and over ripe pears. a person needs to let a short period of experience for a juice making education. any valuable skill in life usually require a training period it is no different with GS juicing.

anyone who complains about the GS backup kinda reminds me of the person who says that his vita mix makes better juice since "you get all that extra fiber too".

my bottom line is that very few people who own and use the GreenStar juicer ever complain about "back up in the chute" and having difficulty with clean up.

if i am not mistaken coco..you mentioned in an earlier post that your experience with GS took place when using it at the business you worked for....i believe you said it was for an indoor sproutfarm wheatgrass growning company? did you ever buy one after using the one at work?

anyways the back up is an insignificant issue once the basic ideas are learned.

juicin' john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 06:16PM by juicin' john.

Date: April 06, 2011 06:37PM

solution for back up....

1. add fibrous veggies into the feeding chute... and in the backup with begin to clear and you can resume "normal activity" with soft interspersed by hard vegetation.

2. if a faster solution is desired ...simply unscrew and remove the pulp adjusting knob on the from of the machine and take it off and let the feeding chute clear. the pulp will be absolutely wet and it may be put through agin along with some of the dry pulp from other stuff. putting it back through a second time is messy if you are not mindful and careful...focus in and keep it clean.

3. the GS is not a machine which can handle soft fruits juiced alone. only when mixed with fiberous stuff.

jj

Date: April 06, 2011 06:48PM

I did use one in a commercial capacity, we juiced wheatgrass for sale by the shot as well as demo-ing the machine at events. And yes, I did own one as well and I did know how to use it properly (since we sold them at our shop we were all schooled in how to use them. But they still backed up the chute and often the front pressure knob had to be loosened all the way which resulted in wet pulp and lower yield). It works well for wheatgrass and other leafy greens but I also like to juice fruits and veggies and find other machines better for that. It depends on what kind of juicing you want to do, really.

Date: April 06, 2011 08:04PM

i'm a bit confused here since the pressure knob is actually irrelevant regarding wheatgrass since the fiber from the grass produces such a high degree of friction that the pulp because it is "dry as a bone" keeps a steady pressure without the know simply because of the bone dry pulp and the resulting friction. isometimes juices many ounces of wheatgrass without evan need the pulp adjusting knob. i don't quite understand how you had a problem with wheatgrass backing up.

i know its really none of my business ...but please permit me this question. shy would you personally buy a juicer which in your opinion performed so baadly for you when using it at your place of employemnt?

by the way....i can juice "A to Z" in the fruit veggie and herb selection.

below is an exerpt which i cut and pasted from a website related to the Gerson Therapy for degenerative diseases......

Centrifugal Juicers

This type of juicer is by far the most common and generally the least expensive juice extractor. Unfortunately for the patient suffering from a degenerative disease, they are also the least desirable. The centrifugal juicer works by pushing the vegetable against a rotating disc whose teeth reduce it to pulp. Centrifugal force then throws the pulp against a basket screen through which the juice is strained, while the pulp remains.

There are several problems with this method. First, this juicer does not grind produce, particularly green, as finely as other extractors. Also, centrifugal force is less effective than the pressing action of other juicers in extracting juice. Without the pressing action, many minerals and phytochemicals in the pulp remain in the pulp, so that the juice that is rendered is less rich in healing nutrients as opposed to the grinder/press or masticating juicers. Gerson describes another problem with centrifugal juicers: "When the grinding wheel rotates against a resistance with insufficient access of air, positive electricity is produced and induces negative electricity on the surrounding wall. The exchange of positive and negative [ions] kills the oxidizing enzymes and renders the juice deficient." He goes on to say that in his many years of clinical experience, patients who used centrifugal juicers did not have success with the therapy.

We have some indications that the enzyme deficiency problem may be present only in centrifugal juicers with a vertical wall basket (such as the original Acme Juicerator available in Gerson's lifetime) and not with the angled wall juicer baskets such as those found in newer centrifugal juicers (Juiceman, Braun, Hamilton-Beach and others). Even if this is the case, however, we must still contend with the overall lack of nutrients and reduced quantity of juice when compared with juice produced by other types of juicers.

jj

Date: April 06, 2011 10:10PM

It was fine for wheatgrass, the knob had to be loosened for other things like fruit, cucumber, etc.
I bought the machine because of the hype to be honest. It was a time in my life when things like the supposed benefits of the magnetic cores of the twin gears seemed very important to me. Eventually I sold the machine at the shop for a discount and bought a second hand Omega from a customer. I've had it ever since, that was about 7 or 8 years ago now. I also have a centrifical force juice (also named Omega) that I use for hard fruit and veg because it's very fast and powerful and clean up is a snap. I can use the omega for that but it's a very old machine now so I save it for greens, frozen fruit ices, nut butters and for homogenizing hummus and other dips.

Date: April 07, 2011 12:04AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..... I also have a centrifical force juice (also
> named Omega) that I use for hard fruit and veg
> because it's very fast and powerful and clean up
> is a snap.
I do the same thing for Carrot Juice (Omega 4000), but cleanup isn't as easy as my Omega 8004, which I use for Celery Juice.....WY
P.S. I never did understand the Theory behind those magnets. I just know I didn't like to clean the twin-gear holes. Carrot pulp collected there, and was a bugger to get out.

Date: April 07, 2011 12:43AM

let me try to understand this better coco....

you bought a GS after using it at work and not really liking it because of all the hype regarding the magnetic and bio ceramic far-infrared technology? and then you sold it shortly there after at a loss?

you may like to know that the magnetics and bio ceramics far-infra red have been recently explained on an intelligent scientific leval by MJ Pangman and ...co-author of a very interesting and informative book called "Dancing
with Water" which I recently read and would highly recommend to anyone interested in better water for their health and well being.

also in case you have not looked at the You Tube video of MJ Pangman talking about Greenstar magnetics here it is again.

[www.youtube.com]

too bad you didn't know this information before you sold your GS.

in my earlier post i excerpted a commentary on cetrifugal type juicers according to Dr. Max Gerson MD ...medical genius who sucessfully took on the challenge and sucessfully healed many so-called incurable cancer patients back in the 1950's and was evan interrogated before a senate sub-commitee in regard to his therapy and sucessfully defended himself.

it sounds like your Omega centrifugal is in the category of juicers which DR. Gerson says destroys the living enzymes thus giving you a juice which may be in the category of "dead Juice". ( what a waste of produce and juicing and clean up effort)

DR. Gerson also specified that for juice to be viable for therapeutic purposes it must be pressed and free of pulp. sorry ...all you vita mix people who love that extra fiber you get when you make your juices in the blender.(tongue in cheek...aka. TIC). caution to those using the verticle juicers which are are leaving huge amounts of pulp in the juice and not having a design which presses the pulp as Dr. Gerson specifically recommends.

i hope this discussion will be beneficial to those trying to decide on what juicer offers the most value in return for the cost..keep in mind though...the price of a juicer is insignificant when compared to the cost of produce over the long term and the amount of time and effort "spent" during the prep and clean up of the long term juicing experience.

i hope you have been able to benefit from what i have tried to express here in my posting.

healthy juicing to all of us...

juicin' john

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 12:58AM by juicin' john.

Date: April 07, 2011 01:54AM

Does anyone here ever get the feeling that you're being ignored? Or maybe the feeling that someone is looking right through you while talking to someone else?
Some people at these Forums (two come immediately to mind) have set themselves up as being the 'Authority', and everyone else is wrong.
There is a 'right way' to do everything...as well as Juicing and/or Blending. But that way is differs with each individual. I never have liked anyone to cram something down my throat. Give me the options, and let me decide.
Can I hear an Amen?.....WY

Date: April 07, 2011 02:51AM

Amen.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 07, 2011 02:59AM

Amen! lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 07, 2011 03:32AM

no i dont have .. well rarely have trouble with backing up the chute .. but i dont usually juice one particualr thing or another .. as JJ said .. i follow soft stuff with harder stuff ..

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables