Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A good juice for diabetics?
Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 12, 2010 09:10PM

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a juice or smoothie that is good for diabetics? Its not for me, for my mom. I hear beets are good for kidneys. Could anyone tell me a good blend for beets?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A good juice for diabetics?
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 13, 2010 01:49PM

string bean with jerusalem artichoke.

jj

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 13, 2010 02:51PM

Punkrotten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Can anyone recommend a juice or smoothie that is
> good for diabetics?
I would favor Celery Juice with Greens juiced in.
Stay away from Carrot Juice and all Fruit Juices.....WY

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 13, 2010 05:07PM

Yes,I heard green bean juice is a good one.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 13, 2010 06:24PM

I just bought a bunch of beets and last night juiced a small beet with its attached greens with a few organic carrots and a couple stalks of rhubarb (since I still have it in the garden). I'm always doing carrots, not that I'm that concerned about blood sugar but have always been interested in the Glycemic Group, and I started out over at Hacres where carrot juice rules --

[www.hacres.com]

The Hacres study found that carrots indeed have a high glycemic index but is fine in the amounts they recommend (up to a cup at a time or so?, I forget). I don't think the researcher there ever came to realize that carrots have a bit of starch in them, and that might account for the high GI (starch is chains of glucose). It's the glycemic Load that matters most though and I think that came through in the study... Everyone's different. A diabetic person will probably want to check their blood sugar to see their response to new ways of eating.

Oh, here's roughly what they say --

For diabetics start with 4 oz carrot juice and 4 oz water, though some diabetics do fine starting with 8 oz straight carrot juice.

Oh, and they are a bit biased over there at Hacres though I still love them.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 06:38PM by loeve.

Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 13, 2010 06:52PM

What kind of "greens" would you recommend? I'm barely starting on this diet so I don't know much. I have some wheatgrass, kale, I tried getting some dandelion green but they were all out at the store.

Posted by: kalejuicer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 03:51AM

I was just recently researching this for myself. I concluded with carrot-kale-celery-lemon-cabbage, in equal amount. I have not made it. It may taste a little challenging, but that is just a guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables