Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I need another juicer
Posted by: Nick_TN ()
Date: January 13, 2011 05:23PM

I've owned Juiceman Jr, LaLanne, L'Equip, Acme, and Champion juicers but I don't own one at this time. I don't think I want to get another centrifugal juicer, and I don't think I want another Champion. I don't want to spend more than $250. I'll be juicing a mixture of things like celery, cucumber, greens, carrot, and fruit. I'm thinking an Omega 8003 or 8004 would be a good choice. Are they more efficient than a Champion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need another juicer
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 13, 2011 07:37PM

Nick_TN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....I'm thinking an Omega 8003 or 8004 would be a good
> choice. Are they more efficient than a Champion?
Much more so. The Champion hasn't improved in the last 50
years. Omega is always upgrading their juicers.
If you want only one juicer, the Omega 8004 is a good choice.....WY

Date: January 13, 2011 08:35PM

Thanks.

I really think I'll like an Omega 8004. I've seen youtube videos on them and I love how slow and quiet they run, and the 15 year warranty is awesome. That's really quite a machine and not really that expensive. I want to make sure to get one that does well with greens, as I think greens are where most of the nutrients are at. smiling smiley

I didn't want to go an extra $90 to get a Omega Vert, although I'd bet that too is a fine machine.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:17PM

Nick_TN Wrote:
> I didn't want to go an extra $90 to get a Omega
> Vert, although I'd bet that too is a fine machine.
Many people here swear by the Vert. I tried it but didn't
like it nearly as much as my 8004.
Good luck with your decision. It sounds as if you've done your Homework.....WY

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 13, 2011 10:48PM

Ive owned an 8004 for almost a year now, and I have to say, im glad I watched those youtube videos as well and picked the right one for me, its been wonderful, I hope you enjoy yours, and use it for more than juicing!!! I LOOOOOVe the whole fruit sorbets!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 14, 2011 01:11AM

Thank you! I value your replies. I pushed the button on the 8004.

The other functions the 8004 does may come in handy sometime too, as I plan to get more and more into raw foods eating, so much that I want it to eventually take the place of all supplements. smiling smiley I have a SLEW of supps that I'm going to toss someday.

Date: January 14, 2011 01:19AM

well, I know at least for me, the sorbet (I love so many types, but banana blueberry is my go-to one) helped me kick unhealthy deserts! they taste so good, and they really helped cut the cravings...mmmmm, Anyway, congratulations on your purchase of an awesome juicer, I hope you enjoy itgrinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 14, 2011 02:04AM

Thanks again. I've made frozen banana *ice cream* many times, but with a small old Oskar food chopper that used to be my Mom's (and it's a miracle it still runs after what I've put that thing through). I used to add yogurt or some other liquid to help blend it in, but with the 8004 I can probably make it with no added ingredients, although I do like frozen blueberries a lot and will probably try that.

Coconut water is a nice addition to frozen banana, and cinnamon. At times I've put lemon juice in it to tarten it up a little. Makes a nice taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 02:05AM by Nick_TN.

Date: January 14, 2011 02:26AM

Oh yes! I love doing frozen cubes of coconut water and banana! I like to put a lil lime with the coconut water be4 I freeze it too... mmmmm.... its cool cause you can put it all through frozen, then if you want it super smooth, like soft serve, a second trip through gets it perfect grinning smiley...lol... sorry im just really excited for you, hahahahaha... ive used cinnamon once too, it was yummy, and also dark chocolate...mmmmm

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 14, 2011 07:34PM

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink them both together,
put the lime in the coconut, then you'll feel better.
Put the lime in the coconut, and drink them both up,
Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning."

Brother bought a coconut
He bought it for a dime.
His sister had another
She paid it for the lime.

Isn't it hard on the juicer to add frozen stuff to it, especially ice?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2011 08:24PM

My old omega does not love making frozen fruit ice cream, that's for sure! But I've put mature coconut through it and it's still working so... there you go.

Date: January 14, 2011 10:14PM

my omega 8004 doesnt seem to have a problem with it at all, not with banana or coconut water, if I put in to many frozen blueberries at once (I once accidentally filled the whole thing when the bag slipped) then it seems to be working a bit harder, once its safety actually kicked in and stopped (with my old freezer at my dads that was set to 10 Degrees F) then turned off I just reversed then moved it forward again and it was fine... banana ive never had a problem with, it has an easy time with banana, even in the old freezer... Coconut water with lime in it went through easy as well, my only idea is that the coconut water/lime ice cubes DID seem a LOT softer than normal ice cubes...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 22, 2011 03:55PM

Hope I did this right and am replying to Nick_TN..

Are you in TN? Wheareabouts? Always happy to meet someone in TN that's into juicing!

I plan to someday get the 8004, too!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 22, 2011 07:42PM

Kudos for the 8004/8006. If I could only pick one juicer, it would be the one! I bought a VERT and like it. But the 8004 is less expensive, has a better warranty and works better only leafy greens. Makes it tough to justify the extra money I paid for my VERT. I love my VERT, but if I had time to do it over again, 8004 or 8006.

Posted by: kalejuicer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 03:34AM

By now I'm sure you know very well how good that Omega 8004 is. I have owned the 8005 for a few years now. Thank God I didn't buy the Breville. I almost did. Someone said it (the Breville) did OK/well on leafy greens, but I think they were wrong. I am a big believer in leafy greens. Yes, I suppose the Breville would be much faster, but I want quality juice and definitely greens. If my 8005 goes kaput someday, I will get the 8006. Quick cleanup is important to me. I tend to be a little bit lazy. Also, I have taken to listening to the radio while I juice, and the quietness of the 8005 is an asset.

Posted by: debraw2770 ()
Date: November 13, 2011 05:41PM

may i ask why you dont want another champion juicer? they are the best on the market. please reply thank you

Date: November 13, 2011 10:07PM

I don't think champion is even close to being the best on the market. A single or twin auger is terrific for slow juicing fruits and veggies and often even greens, they are good for homogenizing nut butters and frozen fruit 'ice cream'.

Date: November 23, 2011 06:14AM

I'd say if you've got the dough to get an 'angel' juicer. I'm blown away by how much juice I get from say a pound of carrots. Yes, it does take a little longer to clean the screen, but if you clean it right away, then it only takes a couple of minutes.

Date: November 23, 2011 04:02PM

I just bought one and second Geo's endorsement of the Super Angel. I would encourage HarvestEssentials.com They have a coupon that takes about 5 percent off ($45). Free shipping w/in continental US, brought my price down to $954. Yeah it's pricy but you get what you pay for.

Little foam, all stainless steel construction, 10 year warranty, bone dry pulp, high yield high quality juice. Very happy with my Super Angel 5500. Sounds like Geo is too.

Paul

Date: November 24, 2011 08:56AM

Too right Paul, I know some may 'poo poo' the Angel, but man what a machine. That's a really good price too Paul, I could only knock the man down to $1199.00. That's Oz money though, and the voltage is different too, it's 240v here. Oh! I'm assuming you live in the states, but if you live in Oz, then you got a gift (did you also get a card? With the gift haha).

Here's a little info that may come in handy if anyone is thinking of buying an Angel juicer. I'm a bit of a research nut, esp when it comes to parting with my hard won cash. The newest Angel is the 8500, and the only real difference from any of the earlier models (apart from an auto reverse feature), is the quality of the stainless. All except the 8500 used the 304 grade stainless, which is food grade. The 8500 uses 316 grade. Now, the 316 grade resists some acids better than the 304, but those type of acids are not found in food. So no real difference there at all. However, the 316 shines up better, so if you're into looks, you'll like the 316 grade.

Now here is where the real difference lies, and it will be easier if I tell you how both those grades of stainless are used in the marine industry. For railings on boats for example, the 316 grade is used because it's more shiny and looks brighter. But for fastenings, such as bolts, nuts and screws, where the steel needs to be tough and able to withstand high tension, then the 304 grade stainless is used.

So that speaks for itself. The 304 grade is stronger and will withstand wear better than the 316 grade, which is not quite as hard. I don't know about you, but I went for the strength and wear resistance rather than for looks. Anyway, I reckon the Angel looks magnificent (no plactic to be seen anywhere).

As far as the manufacturer bringing out this new model, I can only guess that they're greedy, and want extra profit, since the 8500 model is $200 and $400 dearer. I really had to dig deep to find this info too folks, so for anyone who wanted to buy the best Angel juicer, then the new model with seemingly higher quality 316 grade stainless would be appealing (if it wasn't for the price). But as it turns out, it's actually inferior. I wonder what they'll do next time the want to increase their profit, maybe change the logo, or the shape, or brighter and more colourful packaging. So, my advice, if you're wanting to buy an Angel juicer, is to go for any of the models prior to the 8500.

I think they're finding it hard to improve on perfection haha. I also think that they should drop the price so more people can afford this excellent juicer. I'm sure that they'd way increase their profit that way, by selling more. Ok, hope I have helped someone out there in our juicing world.

Cheers, and happy juicing,
geo

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: November 24, 2011 04:57PM

geo Wrote:
> As far as the manufacturer bringing out this new
> model, I can only guess that they're greedy

Are you sure it's not to improve on the earlier model? I saw a video a while back that showed the Angel lifting up in the back when Carrots were juiced. That could be annoying....pushing Carrots with one hand, and holding the juicer down with the other. Have either of you had that problem?......WY

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: November 24, 2011 06:52PM

Here's one clip I just found. Notice how the Angel juicer requires one hand to juice Carrots, and one hand to hold the juicer down in the back. Whereas with the Green Star, both hands can be used to juice the Carrots. Carrots are difficult to push through with twin-gears, and should require both hands to push, not just one......WY
I hope the new Angel model corrects this problem.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 25, 2011 05:52AM

Hi WY, no I haven't had that lifting problem with mine. If you remember, I asked your advice before I ordered the Angel. And which also prompted me to do a little digging. I don't have to view your video to believe what you have said WY. That may be the case with some earlier models, but not mine, and I only use one hand with carrots or any type of food. Also, in regards to the new 8500 correcting any design faults, if you read about what's new with the 8500, only the auto-reverse and the different grade stainless is presented and nothing else.

Look, I've no doubt that the Angel may take longer to clean or whatever, but for me, the quality and quantity of the juice means more to me than a little extra TLC.

Peace and happy juicing,
geo

Posted by: skuli ()
Date: November 25, 2011 06:23AM

watching that video, it did appear to yield a considerable amount more with the pulp being dryer as well. looks like an excellent machine other than the lifting with that model.

Date: November 25, 2011 09:49AM

Thx skuli, but if the filling funnel was another half inch forward, I reckon mine would lift also, but it doesn't, even when I push hard. I watched another vid where the machine would 'leak' a thimble full of liquid where the auger and straining tubes are attached. The guy doing the vid said he contacted the manufacturer, who said he needed a rubber sealing ring that would clamp down and block any residual leak.

The guy decided not to buy due to the postage cost, which was way more expensive than the rubber ring. My take is that the guy bought the machine second hand with the rubber ring missing. Cause mine has one fitted, and there's not a single drop leaking anywhere.

Date: November 25, 2011 07:17PM

I've juice several hard vegetables on mine with one hand (on the pusher) including jicama, beet and carrot. No different than my Kempo Green Power. What is different is the yield (more) and dryness of the pulp. Not sure what the next model bodes. This one is an upgrade by any stretch. Absolutely worth the money. Quieter, higher yield, higher quality juicer, easier clean up, lower foam, dryer pulp.

Paul

Date: November 25, 2011 07:35PM

oh, and no plastic. Just bought the optional soft fruit and nut butter screens. should be here tomorrow.

Posted by: Xamot ()
Date: November 28, 2011 08:03PM

How is the 8004 with juicing leafy vegetables. Since I do have a subpar juicer I noticed that when I did try leafy greens all I got was pulp in my juice. For the meantime I have stuck to hard veggies and fruits. Since I am looking to upgrade in the next few weeks the 8004 looks promising. Any other ideas for $300 or under?

Posted by: skuli ()
Date: November 29, 2011 08:00AM

i just got my 8004 within the last week, i stuck some lettuce leafs and cabbage leafs through it and it seemed to go alright but this is my first juicer so dont really have anything to compare it to. i read not to overfill or force it so i havent with anything and have had no problems with anything yet that i've stuck in it. wish i could tell you more.

Date: November 29, 2011 08:01AM

Hi Xamot
I would suggest you check out the vids on youtube, as they have plenty of comparisons.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables