Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

GE 800 Blender
Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: March 12, 2009 09:57AM

So...since Im getting back into raw foods and don't currently have a blender I went shopping around for one. Of course Im aware of all the hype over the vitamix and blendtec etc...and Id LOVE to have one....but I refuse to spend 400 dollars on something that simply chews my food for me (in time Ill probably eat more natural hygeiene non processed/blended foods but for now..itll be nice to have some green smoothies in the morning...
Also....I dont think theres ANY good reason why those blenders should cost so darned much!!! Bet they cost less than 50 bucks to make!!!
So...I shopped around and ended up getting a GE (general electric) 800 watt blender. It has a glass pitcher, and a stainless steel base! Havent tried it yet (will in the morning...) but that sounds plenty good to me! I know vitamix over the past few years have varied between 1000 watts and up....and the blenders I used to use were probably rediculously low (probably 200 or less) so I think this will be a good middle of the road blender. Plus...its freakin glass!!! No plastic, polycarb or not! Yay! I just hope it does the job well enough. I bought a spiralizer on ebay too...so Im excited about getting that soon...yay zuchini pasta! Im gonna get a dehydrator online too....probably an excalibur...tho Ive been reading about the Good4u....Im only concered about the whole shelf spacing thing....because I do like to sometimes put larger things in the dehydrator....
Well....Ill figure it out. Any suggestions? Im on a budget!
JOhn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GE 800 Blender
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2009 04:43PM

How is this blender working out for you? I have been trying to find reviews on it but so far nothing.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:54PM

i bought a similar blender but its blackndecker ... and although it works really well (and has glass carafe) it really doesnt compare to my old vitamix that finally gave up its life smiling smiley (has a moment of silence for the vitamix lol) sadly its just for the interm moment untill i can afford to replace the vitamix smiling smiley

i agree though the price of things seem outrageous compared to the cost of manufacturing :/

have you used a dehydrator before? i got mine for free freecycle years ago and i dont use it nearly as much as i thought i would .. so if you havent used one i suggest finding one cheap or free untill you decide weather its worth the investment of a better model smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2009 06:56PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:35AM

I empathize. An old co-worker had a Vitamix she brought in to make smoothies. It was awesome in action.

I'm on a budget at the moment and was hoping the GE would be adequate and durable enough for what I need. I am really excited about eating more raw foods. I am going through a 10 day cleanse first then I'm off to the races.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:48AM

when were on a budget , we use the best we can , thats all we can do, no sense stressing over something you cant do anything about at the moment smiling smiley

the blender will probably do what you want it to do smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:09PM

Cheap blenders get a bad rap. As a student, my sister used to make satisfactory green smoothies using a blender that seemed to have no more power than an electric pencil sharpener.

You won't be able to achieve the same results as a powerhouse like the Vitamix can achieve, but if you are careful with the machine you can do quite a lot. Remember not to overload the blender, make sure there is always a sufficiently liquid base to what you're blending (put wet ingredients in first!), and feed solid ingredients into the blender slowly and pre-chopped. Pay attention to whether the blender seems to be straining, and use that as a measure of just how careful you need to be.

Happy blending!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables