Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spiral slicers - which is easiest on the back, arms?
Posted by: Mama3 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 08:28PM

Hello, all. I am new to the forum, looking to get more raw and fresh foods into my diet, and trying to find fun ways to present vegetables to my 3 and 6 year olds. I have a newborn as well, so efficiency is important! I want a good spiral slicer. I have a cheapo similar to the Joyce Chen one. It doesn't work very well. I am willing to spend $100 for a decent one. I am considering the Benriner vertical or the Spirooli (if only it did thin noodles), but I figure maybe there are brands I have not yet come across. Prioritized list of requirements is:

- good quality
- available to ship immediately to canada
- requiring minimal muscle power, easy on the back and arms, so my kids can use it (under supervision)
- able to do anything from angel hair noodles to ribbons
- easy to clean
- blade not easily accessible when in use (think 3 and 6 year olds, though if I can't get this feature, I will manage).

I was considering the Benringer, but it doesn't have suction cups on the feet. Maybe I could add rubber feet.

What model would meet my needs?
Are vertical ones physically easier to use, or horizontal ones?
Do vertical ones not need suction cups on the feet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral slicers - which is easiest on the back, arms?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 10, 2013 08:56PM

you asked about which one is easiest on your back and arms.... that would be any vertical spiral slicer. The Benriner that John sells has two rubber feet, not suction feet. you don't want suction feet on your kitchen top. You just don't want the slicer to move. [www.discountjuicers.com]

The Joyce Chen and its wanna be are easy on the arms but don't make wider "noodles" Question how long do these have to be? An Oxo V cut mandoline can make 1/8 inch noodle which though horizontal are pretty long. A sprial slicer is great for garnishes not for vegi noodles unless they are long noodles.

If I were picking two spiral slicers, 1) Benriner, 2) Tsumapuro. I have both. I also have two others that are less worthy.

Paul

Re: Spiral slicers - which is easiest on the back, arms?
Posted by: Mama3 ()
Date: January 11, 2013 03:31AM

Thanks so much. The noodles don't have to be super-long. I figure if I can get a foot or so, we're good. Longer is OK. Your input is helpful. I think I will get the Benriner. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables