Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do centrifugal type juicers kill enzymes?
Posted by: deenis ()
Date: April 12, 2009 01:01AM

Hello, I just bought a Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor. After buying the juicer, I read that centrifugal type juicers (such as Breville 800JEXL) kill the enzymes creating a dead drink. Is there any truth to this claim?

The following reading from Max Gerson, M.D.has prompted me to ask this question.
Here is a link to some of the claims that Centrifugal juicers kill enzymes:
[www.healingcancernaturally.com]

Here is a quote from the link:
"Now the treatment for tuberculosis was a saltless diet, mostly fruit and vegetables, vegetables cooked without added water, steamed in their own juices, with a heavy pot, no aluminum. The cover had to be heavy and fit well so that the steam could not escape. Then they had to have most of the food raw, finely grated. They had to drink orange juice, grapefruit juice, and apple and carrot juice. This had to be produced in a special machine-a grinder and a separate press-because I found that in centrifugal juicers or liquefiers, I couldn't obtain the kind of juice which cured patients.

At first, I had thought that liquefiers would be the most wonderful thing. All the material was there, nothing was lost. But it didn't work. Then I found out through a physicist that in the liquefier, in the center, there is positive electricity and in the fluid there is negative electricity. This electricity kills the oxidizing enzymes. And that is also true for the centrifugal juicer and the other apparatus. The juice must therefore be made by a grinder and a separate press - if possible, made of stainless steel. (Editor's note: a masticating juicer, such as a Champion, might also work.)"

And at this link ( [www.healingcancernaturally.co...ml] ) I found this: "Centrifugal juicers (which spin at high velocity e.g., Ruby, Santos, Miracle Growth) and which are definitely inadequate. Among other things, the high velocity kills enzymes. They seem to be coming in last for nutritional juice quality and are not recommended for cancer patients. Healthy people may also want to avoid them since they seem to destroy much of the healthful ingredients normally found in fresh and fully ripened vegetables and fruit (more here)."

I know that human blood is spun in a centrifuge to separate the components and then one or more of the components is put back into the patient. So, is it true that centrifugal spinning kills enzymes? Any thoughts?

Thank you for you time....deenis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do centrifugal type juicers kill enzymes?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 12, 2009 01:32AM

I'm sure it's Heat that kills enzymes, not the force
of produce hitting the spinning basket of a centifugal Juicer.
That's why a Raw Food Diet is so important.
I juice a lot of Carrots everyday with a centifugal, and the taste
of the juice, and the way I feel, tells me it's okay.
No matter what you eat, always go by how you feel......WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:42AM

I agree with Wheatgrass Yogi; It is heat that destroys enzymes, not the centrifugal action. That is a very fine juicer you have there.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: June 01, 2009 09:02PM

Juice that have been softly squeezed and quickly heated for some seconds at 70 Celcius, and centrifugal juice, give me two different bodyreactions.

I gess you can gess what the right gessing will be. =)

Date: June 01, 2009 11:34PM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gess you can gess what the right gessing will
> be. =)
Nope I can't. You're going to have to spell-it-out
for me.....WY

Date: June 02, 2009 01:10AM

Perhaps they mean pasteurized? Not sure.
70 degree Celsius = 158 degree Fahrenheit (pasteurization temp.)

Well, I am feeling better about my Centrifugal juicer. I also had a Norwalk juicer but I sold it. It was way too messy and slow processing. The gerson therapy claims it is the only juicer that can be used in their therapy to effectively boost the immune system of final stage cancer victims. However, I saw somewhere where someone had cancer and healed himself with the Breville centrifugal type. (was it the juice man?). I don't have cancer, just trying to live the most healthy way possible so I can "live long and prosper".
Have a healthy day....deenis

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 02, 2009 06:21PM

centreifugal type juicer affect the integrity of enzymes in more ways than one.
enzymes are sensitive little protein molecules and are "deactivated" (not killed) by heat, "rough treatment", and especilly the oxidation with centrifugal sppining the juice through thousands of tiny holes in the strainer basket of the centrifugal machines. there has also been discussion about the electrical forces associated with the near proximimity of the motor and centrifugal spinning action. the electical charges are somhow affected but i am not well versed enough on the subject to do justice to an explanation. many years ago champion published some data regarding this subject but i cannot seem to find it in my box of old "stuff".

i quit using centrifugal machine a long time ago and the only decent machine i could get at that time was a norwalk and i have since abandoned it for a number of reasons which are not pertainent here.
the green star as i have indicated on uinumerable postings, is the only machine i have ever found which does a good efficient job on just everything i juice in it.

my opinion is that people who use a centrifugal juicer are throwing away their valuble time and money spent on the machine and the expensive produce they put into it. dr. gerson confirms my opinion that we just do not get optimal results from centrifugal juicing.

hpwever if you are a little bit lazy, and don't really care about getting the highest quality juicing ..by all means go with a centrifugal machine... it is surely better than nothing at all.

juicing is our best tool for building health up when ill...and helping along with a good diet and a positive "emotional psychology" to maintainin it.

keep on juicin' evan if you have a less than optimal juicer.

"keep on the sunny side ..always on the sunny sid ...... (old country western tune by the carter family)

jj

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 03, 2009 12:40PM

Michael Donaldson, Ph.D., conducted a study of enzymatic activity in carrot juice produced by eight different brands of popular juicers. Two enzymes (of many types of enzymes) were tested.

[www.hacres.com]

..the Juiceman Jr. (tested) sounds a lot like my Jack Lalanne juicer (3600 rpm centrifugal) which produces very good tasting and appearing juice. Even though the juice is apparently lower in enzymatic activity than that produced by the Norwalk, Greenstar, Champion and Omega, I use it for 'Total Juicing', so I get all the benefit of the fiber with no waste. It works for me.

peace and blessings to you

Date: June 08, 2009 01:17AM

Wow, thank you loeve. That is just the scientifically approached information I have been searching for. Not only does it directly answer my query of "Do centrifugal type juicers kill enzymes" but it also goes further and answers other questions that I had or should have had.

Based on this information, I just purchased a "Green Star GS-1000". I only hope that it does not require too much effort to make the juice and clean-up. The Omega 8006 looks pretty nice also. I wonder if it is easier to use and clean than the Green Star?

Wheatgrass Yogi brought up a good point where W.Y. states: "I juice a lot of Carrots everyday with a centifugal, and the taste
of the juice, and the way I feel, tells me it's (centrifugal) okay.
No matter what you eat, always go by how you feel"

I do feel that juicing with my centrifugal has improved my health and attitude.

I guess my next big quest for information will be to find a link to a scientific article that will explain whether these live enzymes will survive (when ingested) for long enough to be of benefit to our health.

I think I will hold on to my centrifugal juicer for a little while so that I can see if the Green Star is not going to be too difficult to use every morning or every other morning.

This thread and everyone on it have been very helpful. THANK YOU and have a healthy day.....deenis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 01:23AM by deenis.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 08, 2009 01:42AM

One of the things that has kept me from buying a juicer for years and years was the hassle of cleaning it, that a friend of mine demonstrated to me years ago. The centrifugal that I have now is a snap to clean, and I use it everyday. If it was difficult to clean, it would stay in the closet. The slight difference in enzymes, would not be worth not juicing at all, in my opinion.

Date: June 08, 2009 02:36AM

Trikkeman Wrote:
> .......... The centrifugal that I have now is a
> snap to clean, and I use it everyday. If it was
> difficult to clean, it would stay in the closet.
> The slight difference in enzymes, would not be
> worth not juicing at all, in my opinion.
My feelings exactly. My centrifugal (Omega 4000)
is easy (fun even) to use, and cleanup isn't bad. A negative
is I have to replace the Cutter Plate when it gets dull....
every 3 months (or so) at $20 each.....WY

Date: June 08, 2009 08:43PM

I wondered about enzyme integrity as well, but my question is, is juicing as good as the actual raw vegetable or fruit, and i also wonder if chewing alters enzyme energy and integrity, cause when you chew the stuff, it turns into pulp, then mushy or whatever, and is broken down more, so if something is broken down more arent the enzymes more accessible or usable, rather than less?

Date: June 08, 2009 10:02PM

tryingitandworkssofar Wrote:
> I wondered about enzyme integrity as well, but my
> question is, is juicing as good as the actual raw
> vegetable or fruit
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Juicing is better if you need a 'healing'. The whole Fruit (or
vegetable) is better if you are 'maintaining'.....WY

Date: June 09, 2009 12:24AM

WY, I noticed on another thread that you said "So I'll continue to use my Auger juicer for Celery, and my Centrifugal juicer for Carrots. " I think that is a wonderful idea!!

I do so like my centrifugal Breville, it is very easy to clean and so fast and easy to feed carrots and apples (my favorite mix).

Date: June 10, 2009 12:36AM

I also wanted to add that I canceled the order for the Green Star about an hour after I ordered it.

I think for now, since I am so happy with the ease of the Breville Centrifugal, and because I am at least getting a little live enzymes, I will stick with it.

I know that I am getting some good enzymes with my spinach/banana/fresh soymilk/stevia smoothies.

Once my Breville finally bites the dust I will consider the Omega or Green Star, but for now I am good.

Have a healthy day...................deenis

Date: June 10, 2009 01:36AM

deenis Wrote:
> WY, I noticed on another thread that you said "So
> I'll continue to use my Auger juicer for Celery,
> and my Centrifugal juicer for Carrots. " I think
> that is a wonderful idea!!
I feel like I'm married to my present Juicers. You
wouldn't kick out a good Wife just because you'd found something
better, would you??....WY

Date: June 10, 2009 11:08AM

I don't know about some of this...In this thread & others, there is talk of destroying the enzymes. Other than heating them, which we all know will kill them, how much integrity is lost otherwise, from using different types of juicers, etc.

I kinda feel like it is a minuscule amount, sort of splitting hairs, no?

Date: June 10, 2009 12:43PM

I mentioned this to my son-in-law doctor and he wondered what would happen to these apparently very fragile enzymes when they hit the acids in your stomach?

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: July 04, 2009 05:07PM

i wonder...

does the juice bar at whole foods use a centrifugal juicer?

i wonder about jamba juice?

sometimes i buy a shot of wheatgrass at these places.

i wonder if mother's market use a centrifugal juicer.

Date: July 04, 2009 09:07PM

pineapple girl Wrote:
> i wonder...
>
> does the juice bar at whole foods use a
> centrifugal juicer?
The Juice Bars I've seen use a commercial
centrifugal (Nutrifaster N450, or Ruby 2000) for Carrot
Juice, and a single-auger type (Wheateena) for Wheatgrass
Juice....WY

Date: July 23, 2009 05:05PM

Hi. I am new to this site but wanted to share my experience with my green star juicer.
i bought it because I found it to be the only juicer that could juice wheatgrass and all other fruits/veggies. I really enjoy the juice that I get. However, I do not use it as much as I would like to because it is VERY time consuming to clean. I guess if I had to do it over again I would forgo the wheatgrass juicing and buy a less expensive and easier to clean juicer. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 23, 2009 06:07PM

hi Loving smiling smiley unfortunately we all seem to have things we dont enjoy doing and look at them as a burden, perhaps you could use the time while cleaning the unit to really listen to a favorite couple of songs on a cd or put one of those audio books into a walkman type thing and listen to a chapter of a good book everytime you clean the ;unit smiling smiley or as i did , i bought a hands free ear/mouthpiece for my phone so i could make a phone call and talk to a good friend while cleaning my unit.

just do something to make the time more pleasant and you will find the job done in no time smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 23, 2009 08:01PM

LOL. Jodi you got sucked-in again. When are you going
to learn??....WY

Date: July 23, 2009 09:18PM

hehe yogi tongue sticking out smiley probably never :p

Date: July 23, 2009 09:23PM

The Troll attacks when you least expect it, sucking
others in, not just you Jodi. I've even been fooled, and I believe
Kwan and Tamukha have too. He's kind of a friendly guy (I don't think
a woman would do such a thing), and is also interesting, so I guess
no harm is done.....WY

Date: July 23, 2009 09:50PM

Well, I was going to give an answer/suggestion to this poster, but since WY gave the heads up, now I feel like a dope 'cause I was fooled as well. o_0

Nonetheless, here I go...I usually try to incorporate the help of a family member when juicing & cleaning up; it does make the time go faster. At least smoothies are an easier clean up! winking smiley

Date: July 23, 2009 09:55PM

im not sure tho why you think they are a troll smiling smiley i dont get it lol

Date: July 23, 2009 10:47PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> im not sure tho why you think they are a troll smiling smiley
> i dont get it lol
It's really no big deal, but this Troll always has
an interesting username, has registered the same day of the post,
and is almost always making his first post. Plus, he never follows up
on any of the responses. Also, he uses impeccable Grammar, with no
misspelled words. Also, he's very knowledgeable about Juicing and
Blending.
He's been operating for a couple of months now at this forum.
Hasn't anyone else noticed??....WY

Date: July 23, 2009 10:48PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> im not sure tho why you think they are a troll smiling smiley
> i dont get it lol

I am guessing because of the reference to the greenstar and a certain member who promotes them any chance they get? Just a guess... winking smiley

Date: July 23, 2009 10:55PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> I am guessing because of the reference to the
> greenstar and a certain member who promotes them
> any chance they get? Just a guess... winking smiley
I have no clue who it is, but it does add a little
interest to the Forum. Yes, it is amazing that they always own
a Greenstar and a Blendtec....WY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables