Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What would be the PERFECT juicer?
Posted by: VertigoJ ()
Date: May 16, 2013 04:12PM

Hey guys,

Do you juice? I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what your ideal juicer would look like and what kinds of functions you'd want it to feature. What kind of juicer would you feel happy to spend money on?

What features in a juicer would motivate you to use it every day?

Brandon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What would be the PERFECT juicer?
Posted by: vfowler77 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 01:13PM

I just bought my first juicer, the Breville multi-speed. So far I LOVE it, but it's a beast to clean. I know all juicers are difficult to clean, but I'm thinking a dream model would be easy to clean out!

Posted by: bent ()
Date: May 17, 2013 07:19PM

My ideal juicer would be fast to use, fast easy cleanup, be able to handle all fruits/vegetables/greens, and be able to get the highest amount of juice from all of them.

I don't think it exists. :-(

Posted by: vfowler77 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 01:52PM

LOL!

Val
Jesus-Follower, wife, and momma of 3 kids

Posted by: VertigoJ ()
Date: May 31, 2013 07:06PM

How could a company like Breville or Omega re-engineer their juicers to make them easier to clean?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 31, 2013 07:57PM

Don't lump the Omega with the Breville, por favor...

Posted by: janetc ()
Date: June 02, 2013 09:03PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't lump the Omega with the Breville, por
> favor...

+ 1

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 03, 2013 03:19PM

I find the Omega 8006 to be way easier to clean that a juicer with a basket. Even the Vert has a basket, if I am not mistaken.

Posted by: Snapdragon ()
Date: June 09, 2013 01:05PM

I have an Omega 8004, which is similar to the 8006, and I just give all the parts a quick spray of hot water from the sink sprayer. Every week or two (or whenever I have space) I run everything through the dishwasher.

Debbie

Date: June 22, 2013 10:39PM

l find the Angel juicer is brilliant. Easy clean up (a big deal for me) and maximum juice extraction. Costs a fair bit, but worth the money imo. If you are a serious juicer l would be buying a highend juicer - many are around $900+. If you don't have the money l would buy a manual juicer until you save up for a good one. A slow turning juicer is a must.

The Angel is big, beautful and all metal and very heavy.

If a juicer is hard to clean you probably won't want to use it every day. Watch some John Kohler videos on juicers, he knows his stuff.

Posted by: fredswife ()
Date: July 06, 2013 07:59PM

I need one that is first of all - not overly expensive ($200 - $250) secondly - not too loud / I've heard of those that are quieter than others - and lastly easy to clean. Am looking and trying to decide.

** Every success has to have a beginning. **

Posted by: shmmoz ()
Date: July 19, 2013 03:35AM

FYI: If you buy a white plastic juicer, be advised the plastic will probably turn color (darker) after a while.

Posted by: rainwater ()
Date: July 24, 2013 03:25PM

I just bought a Hurom. It is the single auger style that is becoming popular with several brands. Breville and Omega make the similar design. The Hurom and Omega are made in the same factory in Korea. I've heard it advertised that the Breville is made in Australia, but it's not. It's designed in Australia, but made in China. There is no majority consensus which manufacturer makes the best single auger, slow crushing juicer. That being said, I'm still deciding whether to take it back to get a refund or exchange. I bought it at "Sur La Table", which was a most pleasant experience. They give me a year for a full refund if I'm not happy with the product. The juice is delicious, really. It's a little pulpy, but I don't mind the pulp. It reminds me of when we used to buy the "pulpy" processed orange juice when I was young (about 50 years ago). I ran two pounds of carrots through my new Hurom, and my old (15 years) pulp ejector juicer. I made exactly the same amount of juice from both juicers. I made 16 oz. carrot juice from each juicer. The pulp ejector was less trouble because I didn't have to cut the carrots as small. The Hurom makes the best tomato juice. The tomato juice from the Hurom doesn't separate and is red and full. The pulp ejector makes tomato juice that separates very fast into something watery. But....how much tomato juice does one drink? They both make very good citrus juices; I take the peeling off before juicing citrus. I've given up on making "green" juices in any juicer. It's too frustrating; juicers that do really good green juices usually don't do great with other juices. Too many greens for too little juice. I dump a whole head of dandelion, kale, or parsley in my Vitamix, add a slice of lemon, some water, and blend. I strain this through a nut milk bag and voila! Very fast green juice which tastes great! Organic heads of greens cost about $2.50 in my neighborhood, so it's a good price for a 16 ounce glass of strong green juice. Less water makes stronger, less juice. More water makes weaker, more juice. You get to decide; you can also decide whether to keep the pulp or not, but I never do. I hope this helps, but I'm still deciding whether to keep the Hurom or exchange for the Breville pulp ejector style which I'm used to. A big plus for the single auger style is the noise level. They are very quiet, especially when compared to a power juicer like the Breville, or any pulp ejector style.

Posted by: gypsyluv ()
Date: August 19, 2013 02:22AM

I purchased an Omega VRT HD last year and it's really fabulous. It takes up very little counter space, it's pretty (mine is a stainless look), it juices greens very well along with everything else, and it's easy to use and easy to clean. It's also a "slow" juicer, meaning there's no whirling basket going at millions of RPMs which only serves to oxidize your precious juice. It juices very quickly really. The only downside is that I like my juice pulp-less, and so I have to use a fine mesh strainer to strain the pulp that gets into the juice part. OK so big deal. I'd love to have an Angel but they are very expensive and of course take up way more counter space! The point is get an Omega VRT HD. If you buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond you can use a 20% off coupon and take it back if you don't like it. Then you can try the Omega 8006 which will make nut butters etc because it has a homogenizer. Watch the you tube videos of John Koehler (sp) of discountjuicers.com and you will get a world of info about juicers and other appliances. Plus he's cute and funny! OK good luck!

Posted by: timeconnors ()
Date: December 02, 2013 12:13AM

I agree with THeStOrm O. The Omega 8000 series does it all very well. Slow speed, very quiet, very fast to clean, about 30 seconds. Juices greens fine, low foaming, low cost, best warranty on the market. Yield about 80% free juice.
I would add, combining it with a hydraulic juice press which can yield the other 20+% of juice available in the vegetables and does not add any more time to the process per oz of total juice produced.This will save you money in the long run and is good for the planet since you will use less total vegetables to yield same amount of juice The quality of the juice is also better from the press, better or sweeter tasting and better for you.
The white plastic on my 8004 series juicer is 2 1/2 years old, sits in the sun on the window and has not discolored at all that I can tell since I bought it. Works about as good as the day a bought it back in 2010.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 02, 2013 06:45PM

Agree with Sproutarian man, for me it's the Super Angel. No BPA contact surfaces, high yield, easy to clean, complete stainless steel, 10 year warranty. Except for price, it's just about perfect. I think if it were under $700 it would be. At $1000 it's a very good juicer but not a value. At $700 it would be a value.

Posted by: timeconnors ()
Date: December 03, 2013 02:18AM

As I understand it the warranty on the Super Angel does not cover parts that wear like the almost $200.00 screens. The company that sells it has already gone out of business once in the USA and moved to Korea and opened again not warrantying the past company's warranty. Will they do it again, How much is that 10 warranty worth without covering wearing parts?. See discountjuicers.com youtube video about the SA before you buy one [www.youtube.com]
The screens look hard to clean to me and have read some people don't use their SA because it takes too much time to clean well. Yields only slightly more than the Omega. I agree the Sa is not a value.It cost almost 5 times the cost of my Omega 8004 which now costs $227.98 at Best Buy now with free shipping as of today.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 03, 2013 06:18PM

That information is not correct. The company offers a 1 year warranty (in the US) on screens, and I have seen no wear on my screen at all in the time I have used it. [usjuicers.com] It offers 10 years on the motor, augers (twin gears). See page 20. Most of the wear is going to be on the augers and motor which are fully covered for 10 years.

It's true John has had issues with the company. I haven't and have purchased additional screens (fruit screen, blank plate) and had excellent customer service. The screens are very easy to clean for me and are much easier than my Omega single auger juicers to clean.

My juice yields with my SA are about 20 percent greater than my Omega.

It's all metal vs. plastic, higher yields and personal assessment that one has to consider. Kohler says he knows there is bpa in Ultem which is what Omega augers are made of. I'd be a lot more concerned about that, than I am company history. Just my opinion. So agree to disagree.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 06:26PM by pborst.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: January 22, 2014 12:35AM

No Greenstar lovers here? That seems to be the best value for extracting the most juice? I know it is not as good as the SA but simular for way less green backs. I don't like it because it takes quite a bit of wheatgrrass to get some juice out. Ultimately for the money it might be good to go with the GS and get a seperate wheatgrass juicer. The omega single auger would be the next best from what I have read. I have the Samson six in one and it is a peace of junk as far as efficiency goes but is inexpensive easy to clean and does wheatgrass quite well. It has a good motor and warranty but the screens will crack if doing a lot of wheatgrass. The whole assembly will have to be replaced from time to time but is not expensive. If you don't mind exracting from the pulp also it is not to bad. PS it does not do cucumbers well at all. Hope this helped.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 22, 2014 02:13AM

Superjuice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No Greenstar lovers here? That seems to be the
> best value for extracting the most juice? I know
> it is not as good as the SA but simular for way
> less green backs. I don't like it because it
> takes quite a bit of wheatgrrass to get some juice
> out. Ultimately for the money it might be good to
> go with the GS and get a seperate wheatgrass
> juicer. The omega single auger would be the next
> best from what I have read. I have the Samson six
> in one and it is a peace of junk as far as
> efficiency goes but is inexpensive easy to clean
> and does wheatgrass quite well. It has a good
> motor and warranty but the screens will crack if
> doing a lot of wheatgrass. The whole assembly
> will have to be replaced from time to time but is
> not expensive. If you don't mind exracting from
> the pulp also it is not to bad. PS it does not do
> cucumbers well at all. Hope this helped.

I have the Samson single auger juicer, too. I bought that instead of the
Omega because I thought Samson was redesigning their seed oil grinder part which I really wanted and it wouldn't have fit on the Omega. Samson just discontinued that part though so I was stuck with their second rate juicer, too
I only used it twice as an actual juicer anyway. I use the blank in it and then do the actual juicing in my Peoples/Wells press. It takes a lot less time to clean the press and the Samson with the blank in it the than it took to just clean the Samson when I used it in juicer mode believe it or not. When I'm in a hurry or lazy I use my Brevelle Juice Fountain then press what's left over from that wasteful machine in the Welles press later.

I never was tempted by the Greenstar even though it would have been cheaper than the setup I've got going now. It just looked like the kind of thing that was going to be really difficult to keep truely clean with all those little white nooks and crannies. No thanks to that kind of thing for me.

I thought the Angel juicer looked like the coolest juicer. Thank goodness I saw John Kohler's review of that before I bought.

Posted by: siah ()
Date: January 28, 2014 02:53AM

So no Norwalk users here? I've had the two Omegas and even though they are a breeze to clean, they stop juicing as efficiently as they do initially, suggesting the plastic is wearing down with each juice and I'm ingesting it. I just bought the Super Angel and yes I did watch the youtube video first, but decided to take my chances for the same reasons Paul stated earlier. I think it is more difficult to clean than the Omega, but I'm willing to make that trade off due to it being all metal; however, I can't stop wondering if I should have bit the bullet and ordered a Norwalk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables