Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Best Juicer for Carrot Juice?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 29, 2007 04:02PM

As I sit here drinking my morning range">Carrot-Celery juice, I'm thinking about the best juicer to use for making a lot of carrot juice. I'm in the process this morning of juicing 24 carrots and 16 stalks of Celery Hearts. What do you think would be the Best Juicer to use for that? Remember, this has to be done day-in and day-out. It's not a one-time deal......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Best Juicer for Carrot Juice?
Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: March 29, 2007 09:20PM

Hi WY

It depends on time Vs quantity and quality. I have the Greenstar and the High power Breville juicers.

I have noticed with carrots and celery that the Greenstar gives quite a lot more juice as much as 30% or even more than the Breville. The pulp in the Breville is much wetter than the Greenstar.

The Greenstar also claims to produce better quakity juice but I can't detect any difference in the taste so you will need to decide for yourself.

But the Breville is very fast and will do your 24 carrots and celery in under a minute. You will spend more money on produce in the long run though if you use a Breville or similar juicer (This could add up to a lot if you juice so much) but you will save time in juicing and cleaning. The Greenstar takes a bit longer to clean.

The Breville is much better at juicing fruit but poor at juicing green leafy veg.

I use the Greenstar always when I have the time and need to juice spinich or other green leaves. If I don't have enough time I use the Breville.

My favourite kitchen appliance is my Blendtec blender though!

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 29, 2007 10:22PM

i agree..... the price of produce is quite expensive and the waste generated by centrifugals is really quite significant. most any of the stuff about juiceing has alot to do with one's m"mental phrasing" as i call it. that means you can make things difficult by thinking about them as such and vice versa.l

cleanup is a pain with any machine....but if you dont procrastinate with it, it isnt so bad once you get started....the exception to that is the person who frets and worries about every speck of pulp and evan the stains on the machine.
stains by the way show that a juicer has alot of character in my book...which btw, not everyone one goes by. (clean up is mostly mental)

if you are weak with an illness, the green star may present a problem with carrots and hard veggies, so you will need someone stronger to help you, but you will have little problem feeding green leafies and grasses into your machine...fruit is a waste to juice in any kind of machine ...make smoothies or enjoy much more eating it whole....fruits can be used however to flavor or evan color juices...like straw berries, blueberries and pinaplles ... i do that that sometime. ..in agreenstar its an otion to flavor as such, but in a centrifugal it would be insignifican because of the wastefullness.

there is also quite a bit of discussion that the centrifugals are harsh and destructive to the delicate enzymes.

carrots are easy for me in a greenstar....evan help-ed me build up muscles in hands and arms over a period of time..actually i am quite fast moving the carrots and celery through ...in no time at all i have a full cup of juice with the greenstar...

all in all i kinda know what yogi is trying to get at in this discussion,and i do concede that the centrifugal is fast...but it is cdertainly not economical with the price of organic produce.

good juicing to those who read this thread,

juicin' john

Date: March 30, 2007 10:54PM

JJ.....You know me too well. That's kind of Scary. I appreciate the fact that you, and you too Galileo, like your twin-gear. I do enjoy the speed of my Centrifugal for juicing carrots. It just 'feels' right. I've tried 3 different twin-gear juicers over the years and just didn't like them.
Galileo.....It's difficult for me to believe that your twin-gear produces 30% more juice than a centrifugal. Do you have a Link?........WY

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 30, 2007 11:40PM

wheat grass yogi,

is started juicing with a cntifugal machine and it really bugged me have to clean it after a short period of time and noting the wetness of the pulp.

next i tried a champion and i was actually shocked at how wet the pulp was. no longer was the continuos pulp ejecdtion of champion attractive to me.

i plodded along til i could get a norwalk and when i started using it my juicing "career came to a halt after discovering the cumbersome routine i had to go through.

ina nick of time the twin gear came onto the market and my juicing was revived from near exttinction.

a few years back, i purchased a used pulp ejecting centrifugal, and when testing the wetness of the pulp i could not in good stewardship and economical sense use such a wasteful machine.... with greens etc. it is almost a total failure.

produce is expensive and organic is evan more expensive why waste money?

good juici'

jj

n

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: March 31, 2007 12:25AM

Hi JJ & WY

I am giving an estimate that the Greenstar gives about 30% more juice than the Breville 1000 Watt juicer as I notice I am using a lot more carrots to get the same amount of juice. (I have no association with Greenstar just giving my best estimate) I mainly use my Greenstar because the output is much higher and I get better value for money.

I will do a test next week after my shopping trip and juice exactly half kg of carrots in each juicer Breville and Greenstar and I will let you know the exact output from each. Then it is just a simple calculation to get the percentage.

Date: March 31, 2007 02:17AM

Good Galileo!! I'd be interested in your experiment with your Greenstar and Breville. I've used a Breville 2-speed 1000 Watt juicer before and thought the pulp came out very dry. I only used the slower speed. I went back to my Omega, even though the pulp comes out a little wetter. It's all in the 'feel' of the Juicing Experience.

JJ....What Brand Name was your centrifugal pulp-ejection model? Some of them aren't that efficient. Yes, I know what you mean about a centrifugal that doesn't eject pulp. It does fine for a small amount of juice, then you have to stop and clean it.
Happy Juicing......WY

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: April 03, 2007 02:55AM

If you are short on time, a Champion.

If time is not an issue, then the Norwalk.

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: April 03, 2007 12:17PM

Pistachio......Yes, the Champion is a good juicer for carrots. When I juiced carrots, years ago, with a Champion, I had to stop periodically and clean the Screen. It was easy to do. I have a friend who uses a Champion and sometimes the pulp doesn't come out properly, collecting behind the auger....Bummer!!!
I've also owned a Norwalk Press. That one might be best at a Health Institution with a paid operator. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I didn't like mine, it was too difficult to use......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:35AM

Jack Lelanne?

Date: April 09, 2007 06:29AM

I just looked at the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer by going to Google. It's a centrifugal, pulp ejection for about $100. I'd guess that it would juice Carrots very well, even though I've never owned one. Not good for leafy greens or wheatgrass however. It might be a good 'First Juicer' for someone who doesn't already own a juicer.....WY
P.S. A good juicing 'Tip' is to strain your juice as finely as possible after juicing it. It tastes much better with the pulp, and 'works' faster getting into the bloodstream. An assortment of stainless steel strainers would be a good investment.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 09, 2007 08:02PM

I have an old champion that I inherited that juices carrots ok. I always run the pulp through twice though because its very wet still the first time around, or I make a salad from the pulp.

I have a question. What is the best juicer for juicing greens? I used an old basket type juicer when i started out and it handled spinach, kale, and other leafy greens fine, but that petered out. The Champion won't do greens at all. The fibers get caught in the screen and the whole process bogs down. Any recommendations for a moderately priced juicer that can handle anything?

khale

Date: April 09, 2007 11:49PM

I have used many juicers for the past 20 years, champion, norwalk, green life, green star, kempo, Jack LaLanne Power juicer. Jack LaLanne Power juicer was the worse, it is not a good juicer for serious raw fooder.

Date: April 10, 2007 12:35AM

djatchi......I've never used a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer, but have seen it used on TV. It's rather loud, but it looked like it was producing a good amount of juice. When you say it's the 'worst', I yield to your expertise, and believe you. Of all the juicers you've used over the years, which one is your favorite?

khale......The best juicer for greens is a single-auger. I like the Samson 6 in 1 and the Omega 8003. They're also easy to clean......WY

Date: April 10, 2007 03:19AM

In terms of juice quality of the juicers I used, norwalk is the problably the best juicer, the pb with it is that juicing is done in two steps and that is not practical especially when you are travelling. My best juicer is the green power kempo, it is juices greens very well and light weight. 90 percent of my juices are greens and I travel a lot so it is convenient for me [www.bestjuicers.com]
Two year ago I bought Jack LaLanne Power Juicer after watching a demo on tv, I thought it would help me juice some fruit but it was a total waste of money. No matter what you juice, the pulp remain very wet. It cannot do carrot.

Date: April 10, 2007 02:51PM

djatchi.....I owned a juicer very similar to your favorite Green Power Kempo, called the Samson Ultra. I thought the twin-gears were a little small for serious juicing. Plus I didn't like having to cut the carrots into small pieces to feed them into the juicer. You don't have that problem, since you do mostly greens. I can see how the small size and light weight would be good for traveling.
As far as juicing carrots goes, I like the speed of a centrifugal, pulp ejection. So my Favorite Juicer is my Omega 4000. A bad feature is that I have to replace the cutter plate every month or two, to the tune of $20....WY

Date: April 10, 2007 11:11PM

I came to raw food after reading Norman Walker and Ann Wigmore and for years I was juicing carrots using the Champion juicer and later Norwalk juicer. When I got into indoor greens and started juicing them with other greens my health which was already good became excellent. Personnally I think there may be something in the greens that make them a more complete food compared to carrots. It is true that the twin-gears do not juice carrot very well. Maybe I will come back to carrots some day and use Omega 4000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 11:12PM by djatchi.

Date: April 11, 2007 02:43AM

djatchi.....Could you tell us about your indoor Greens, and what you juice on a typical day? I'd like to hear a little about your growing methods, too.
As for me, I like Carrot-Celery juice for a 'full' feeling, but would like to put more Green Juice into my diet. I usually have Wheatgrass Juice daily, and many times twice a day, but that only amounts to 3 to 8 ounces.
How do you keep weight on if you drink mainly Green Juice? I'm 5'9" and weigh 126 pounds......Wheatgrass Yogi

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 12, 2007 02:58AM

Wheatgrass Yogi, thanks for the suggestions on good juicers.

'preciate it.

khale

Date: April 12, 2007 06:50AM

khale.....You're Welcome. Let us know if you have any 'insights' about Juicing or Juicers. I've mentioned it before, but I think finely straining your juice is most important factor for proper Assimilation. Avoid the pulp...'Wash' your system.......WJ

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 12, 2007 02:31PM

hey juiceamaniassmiling smiley

just wanna say
i love your posts smiling smiley

sooooo goood to hang around

juicy juice head manias
i know y' all have deep appreciation in yer hearts

i LOVE juice smiling smiley

Date: April 13, 2007 09:39PM

la_v......I love juice too. I just bought a new Omega 8005 on eBay today. Gotta get more Green Juice into my diet......Head Maniac, WY

Date: April 14, 2007 01:47AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> djatchi.....Could you tell us about your indoor
> Greens, and what you juice on a typical day? I'd
> like to hear a little about your growing methods,
> too.
> As for me, I like Carrot-Celery juice for a 'full'
> feeling, but would like to put more Green Juice
> into my diet. I usually have Wheatgrass Juice
> daily, and many times twice a day, but that only
> amounts to 3 to 8 ounces.
> How do you keep weight on if you drink mainly
> Green Juice? I'm 5'9" and weigh 126
> pounds......Wheatgrass Yogi

I am 5'6'' and weigh 140.
My indoor greens are wheatgrass, sunflower, buckwheat, and peas. I use soil in plastic trays for growing my greens indoor and do my own composting from the soil mats of used trays. I have 4 large container for the composting.

It is a wonderful feeling to care for the greens, water them and see them full of life and knowing that you will partake of that growing life. I use the indoor greens in my smoothies and sometimes in my juices.

The greens I buy for juicing are turnips, beet greens, collard greens, and dandelion. For many years I was mostly juicing wheatgrass and carrot but more recently with more greens I discovered I do not need carrots and I do not need wheatgrass that much.

I do not believe in veganism or fruitarianims. It may work for others but I see no evidence for it. For the purpose of nurishment we cannot avoid destroying life even the fruit and leaves we take from the plant cause pain to the plant. A simple walk on the grass in the park kills millions of living organisms.

My diet is basically greens(juice, smoothies), non sweet fruits, and some nuts. I always make sure to have one pint of green juice a day sometimes two. I eat avacodo, young coconut and seeds for fat.

Date: April 15, 2007 01:45AM

[s134.photobucket.com]

Djatchi......I like the fact that you grow your own greens. I grow my Wheatgrass in large stainless steel bowls (see link above). Each bowl only produces 7-8 ounces of juice and there's a big mat to dispose. I can't compost the way you do. I've been growing grass this way for years, and am probably too old to change now. I pour a liquid fertilizer mix into the bowl before each planting.
I don't remember what juicer you use for your Greens. Did you say Green Star? Like I said in a previous post, I just bought an Omega 8005 to try on Greens. I understand the SoloStar 2 is good but the screen is difficult to clean. Does anyone know for sure?.....WY

Date: April 28, 2007 05:13PM

Wheatgrass Yogi
I use green power kempo juicer for my greens [www.bestjuicers.com] , light weight and effecient. I take it with me when I travel. Very good wheatgrass, so you do not use any soil. I need to try that. What about ocean water? I do not have pictures for my greens but they are just like these [www.sproutman.com] . I use them for juicing, salad or green smoothies

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2007 05:26PM by djatchi.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 06, 2007 10:24PM

Hey wheatgrass yogi...i was going to post how much i love my juicer haha to let you know for greens but i see when i got near the bottom you had just ordered it haha..my daddy bought me a juicer off of ebay a few weeks ago as well and i LOVE it...doesn't seem too wasteful i get plenty of juice and it is really fast...eats the carrots right up..you can juice a pound of carrots in like 1 minute..it is great!!! how do you like it???
love earthangel
xoxoxoxxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 07, 2007 01:39AM

dj....Yes, I do use a soilless mix from Lambert's to grow my wheatgrass. It's mostly Peat Moss. There's a huge mat to dispose of. I can't compost where I live so it's a struggle to get my garbage to the curb. Your little twin-gear sounds nice, and you sound like you like it. I must admit that I get attached to my juicers too.

ea....I like my single-auger Omega. I use it strictly for Celery Juice. I bought some of the best looking celery today. I have another juicer for carrots, and yet another one for Wheatgrass. Juicing is what I do. Happy Juicing to you.....WY

Date: May 07, 2007 01:44AM

Hi there..hmm it works well for carrots if you are ever in a hurry haha...but i understand you are a serious juicer and hae one for all the things you enjoy..i too have the omega single auger and LOVe love it haha...it is great...i use it of wheatgrass and it does a really good job..pretty dry pulp for it as well...
hmm what kind of wheatgrass juicer do you have??
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 09, 2007 01:36AM

ea.....I bet you've lost some weight by now, going by your picture. Juicing is good for weight loss while maintaining High Energy. Any experiences to share?
I like my Omega 8003 for Celery, as I mentioned. My Omega 4000 (centrifugal) makes quick work of carrots and the juice tastes Great, always a good sign of nutrition. I have a Wheateena Green Label for Wheatgrass. I like the idea of metal-on-metal to squeeze out the green juice. It's too small to use for anything other than wheatgrass.....WY

Date: May 09, 2007 07:40AM

Hi there...what do you mean i be you lost weight by now going by your picture??

and no i haven't lost any weight since that pic...i have been in a slump in the past 2 months with weight loss..and actually haven't lost much since starting raw in january....i only eat fruits and veggies i am 100% raw and don't eat fats..just greens and fruits....hmm i am struggling with my insulin right now...i have had a physical problem with weight loss since i have been 2 years old....so i am just taking it one day at a time with raw......i also exercise daily...about 4 hours of cardio a day...so i am not lacking int hat department either....well sorry i have nothing good to share..but hopefully i will.....with juices i have to be careful with my blood sugar and what not...
but thanks
love earthangel
xoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables