Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is the Vitamix Really Noisy?
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 30, 2010 11:27AM

Hello, I was planning to use a Vitamix 5200. I have heard that the Vitamix is noisy. Did anyone ever have neighbors in an apartment complex complain because the Vitamix was too noisy? If so what did you do about it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 11:27AM by VeganLife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is the Vitamix Really Noisy?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 30, 2010 11:58AM

VeganLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello, I was planning to use a Vitamix 5200. I
> have heard that the Vitamix is noisy.
You have heard wrong!! The whole Vita-Mix
line of blenders, with strong motors, are noted for their
quietness. I've owned two.
Also, it's absurd to think the neighbors would complain
about a loud blender. You meant that as a joke, didn't you?.....WY

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 31, 2010 10:45AM

> You have heard wrong!! The whole Vita-Mix
> line of blenders, with strong motors, are noted
> for their
> quietness. I've owned two.
> Also, it's absurd to think the neighbors would
> complain
> about a loud blender. You meant that as a joke,
> didn't you?.....WY

I've seen demonstrations where the blender was inside a case to "quiet it down". I figured since the case or enclosure is not sold, the blender would be much noisier without it. Sometimes apartment neighbours are just weird and will complain for the smallest things. I just want to cover all my bases.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 31, 2010 08:10PM

It's cool that you actually care about your neighbors. I don't own a Vitamix, but my blender is very noisy. What I do is never make smoothies after 8 or 9 pm or before 9 am on the weekend. I seriously doubt if you followed those rules that there would be a problem because you don't blend for very long! Usually about a minute tops...(P.S. My juicer is the Omega 8006 and it is very, very quiet so I can juice anytimesmiling smiley)

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 01, 2010 06:46AM

that is one thing I really love about the omega, really quiet, only juicing im gettin done just about is when my niece is asleep,lol...I have a cheap blender, and this thing sounds like a freight train, I some how doubt that a much more powerful blender is quieter...but I also doubt your neighbors will mind unless your making allot of smoothies at 3 am...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2010 03:48PM

My son has one and just loves it.

My wife doesn't like the looks of the vitamix nor does she like the noise.

I bought the 20 AMP Blendtec with sound enclosure just like the ones at Starbucks.

Paul Sr

Date: August 01, 2010 09:28PM

Curator: Made any interesting juices lately? I just went to the farmers market and bought some organic beets and I was thinking about what to do with the tops...Supposedly they are more nutricious than the actual vegetable! Have you ever juiced beet greens and what could I mix it with? I am thinking apple/carrot.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 02, 2010 02:04AM

banana who Wrote:
> Curator: Made any interesting juices lately? I
> just went to the farmers market and bought some
> organic beets and I was thinking about what to do
> with the tops...Supposedly they are more
> nutricious than the actual vegetable! Have you
> ever juiced beet greens and what could I mix it
> with? I am thinking apple/carrot.

That will work. I never throw any parts of any plant away, I juice/smoothie them all. They may be a tad bitter for you, apple will sweeten it a bit. Also, throw a slice (or more) of lemon in the juicer, that will mask a lot of unpleasant flavors.

Date: August 02, 2010 09:34AM

banana who Wrote:
> Curator: Made any interesting juices lately? I
> just went to the farmers market and bought some
> organic beets and I was thinking about what to do
> with the tops...Supposedly they are more
> nutricious than the actual vegetable! Have you
> ever juiced beet greens and what could I mix it
> with? I am thinking apple/carrot.

wow... Banana who, I JUST did the same thing! I juiced 2 beets with tops, 2 bunches of kale, and about a quarter of a rind from a watermelon... be prepared for the beets, I liked them allot, but to be honest, they taste kinda like really sweet dirt...Ive always said I like stuff that tastes "earthy" lol... and later that evening, I was graced with something rather scary in the bathroom till I remembered I had 2 beets in my juice that morning... so dont freak out if that happens to you... sorry for the TMI, but it really did scare the crap out of me (pun intended) so thought id mention it so you dont get surprised...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 02, 2010 10:24AM

"they taste kinda like really sweet dirt"

lol - that is exactly how I have always described them!

Date: August 02, 2010 10:34AM

Great minds describe beets alike? hehe

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 03, 2010 05:59PM

Interesting about the beets...have you guys ever had orange (or is it yellow?) beets? Oh, I think they are called golden beets. They tasted more mellow than the red and they don't bleed. This is great for juicing because you know how messy things can get when you are trying to cut up beets for juicing. Thanks, guys. I think I'll experiment with some concoction. Curator, I know that trick about lemon. It seems to cut the bitterness.

Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: August 04, 2010 02:52AM

My vitamix is quite noisey because of the vibration. I worried about this when I lived in an apartment. What I did was sit the blender on top of a ream of printer paper and this made a huge difference.

Actually, first I tried a sheet of rubber foam, but I the heat from the blender seemed to cause gas from the rubber to fill the air. So, someone might have an idea bout something better than a ream of paper to use. In any case, what was noisey was the vibration, not the ambient noise.

Date: August 04, 2010 03:39AM

Get allot of those free samples of memory foam and glue them between multiple layers of card board...lol...

@banana I have never seen a golden beet... but when I do, I will trade it in for 24 carrots.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: shazstr ()
Date: February 23, 2014 02:00PM

Hi,

I've just bought a second hand Vitamix (a TNC - that's a 5200 in the US I think) - truthfully I had the same concerns about my neighbour complaining.

I have a Philips blender that the Vitamix is replacing, so whilst I still have the two machines handy, I decided to do a little test. (because frankly I think the Philips blender is quite loud).

Using a decibel meter app on my phone I ran both machines with some liquid to 10 on the dial. Both peaked at 96 decibels, so I guess that means the Vitamix is not any louder than any other average blender.

Further comments I would make though are these.

My personal opinion is the the Philips has a shriller noise so I perceive it as being louder and harsher on the ear even if the decibel meter says differently.

Also I made a smoothy straight away in my Vitamix - same sorts of ingredients I'd use in the Philips including protein powder, prebiotic powder, live yogurt, nut milk of some sort and fruit of some sort. The Vitamix blended this all within seconds whereas for the Philips I need to add ingredients in separately to get them mixed and then blend for longer so I think the overall impact of noise is greater.

So in conclusion - if my neighbour has never complained about me using my Philips blender, I'm going to say I'll be ok with the Vitamix. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 02:02PM by shazstr.

Posted by: Raw_Health_Nut ()
Date: April 10, 2014 08:12PM

I used a vitamix from the 90's and it was super noisy. They may be different now tough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables