Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jack LaLane blender
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: May 21, 2009 05:01PM

Has anyone tried a Jack LaLane blender? I'm looking into buying a blender and wondered how well it holds up. Also, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jack LaLane Juicer
Date: May 21, 2009 05:45PM

I meant Juicer. Please replace the word blender for juicer.

Re: Jack LaLane Juicer
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 22, 2009 12:31PM

Hi Mona,
My Jack Lalanne classic model has held up well after 3 1/2 years of heavy daily use. One breakdown occured when I turned it on without being fully assembled but was able to mend it better than new. The original grinding plates are still sharp enough to go through hard squash, coconuts, rhubard, dandelion roots -- which amazes me! Very hard food can get wedged causing plastic parts to chafe, wear and burn so be prepared to turn off the machine, remove the obstruction and occasionally toss your juice; carrots are super easy and yield very well though.

Mine came with Total Juicing, a book by Elaine Lalanne, which I would recommend.

Re: Jack LaLane blender
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 22, 2009 05:10PM

I think Sharrhan uses one and ive seen a few other people use them happily smiling smiley

buy the best that you can afforrd what ever it is and be happy with it, until fortune smiles upon you and you can buy something better smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 23, 2009 12:20PM

..I followed the recent carrot juice thread..

"The Juiceman does great carrot juice, btw. for the cheap price ($79.95). Has a huge hopper, makes good juice really easily, and it's a cinch to clean up.

Sharrhan"

..the Juiceman might have the Jack Lalanne beat for yield on carrots too.

..the Jack Lalanne does apple juice well, which I suspect the Juiceman also does.

..btw, my juicer came with the handiest scrup-brush for cleaning the basket, a 2" round brush on a handle set at a 45 degree angle. Clean-up is about 5 minutes.

Date: May 24, 2009 05:31PM

..again regarding how well the Jack Lalanne juicer holds up, the part that broke on my 'Classic' was the plastic motor housing cover that the grater screws onto. It broke when I forgot to install the grater -- breaking apart due presumably to centrifugal stress, but I gather this can happen in normal use and is covered by the lifetime warrentee on the motor. My repair using epoxy and stainless steel banding has held up fine but it is nice to know i can get a new motor base for the cost of shipping (at least in the US) if I have further problems.

[www.fixya.com]

blessings

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 24, 2009 05:47PM

oops my mistake lol smiling smiley sorry bout that ! too many midnight infomercials wathcing both the juiceman and jack , i sometimes get them confused tongue sticking out smiley

both admirable older men in my opinion smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 25, 2009 02:22PM

THank you so much for all your replies. I was thinking about a juiceman, too. I'm looking for something I can use several times a day and will hold up well.

Can you buy it at a store or is on line best?

Mona

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 25, 2009 03:31PM

I went to a local Macys yesterday looking to purchase a Juicer. I had researched this for about a week on the internet and read various reviews on several brands on Amazon.com, which has most of the Juicer reviews. Breville was a brand that was constantly getting good reviews while the Jack LaLanne seemed to have quite a few poor reviews and complaints of low power, and service problems.

I got to the Macys and they had a Jack Lalanne on display as well as a Breville. A married couple was shipping for a juicer too, and we started looking carefully at the two brands. Immediately we found out that the JLL model , in order to be cleaned, had to have the blade unscrewed using a tool that is included with their juicer. We both decided that this was a hassle, to have to use a tool and screw things apart just to clean it. Then the motor on the JLL was about 200 watts and the Breville was 700 watts. The Breville also had a 1 year guarantee. The downside to the Breville was that the model we were looking at was about $150 on sale. vs about $90 for the JLL. At that point I was ready to buy the Breville, but the other person said that he wanted to go to Best Buys and check out the Breville they had in stock. I drove over to Best Buys and sure enough, they had a less expensive model of the Breville ( BJE 200 XL ) which was on sale for $86 . It had all the features of the $150 model including the 700 watt motor, easy cleanup, and 1 year guarantee at almost half the price. It also had a smaller footprint which took up much less counter space. I bought it and too it home,

This juicer is fantastic, I fed it whole apples, carrots, spinach, celery, tomatoes, and it juiced them in seconds. Cleanup was a breeze, and the unit looks as good as it works. Last night I looked on Amazon.com for reviews on this model, and the reviews are excellent. Check it out..

Date: May 26, 2009 01:59AM

Thanks, everyone, so much for your input. I've tried to post several times in response to some of the ones above but am having computer problems right now.

So I'm going to look into Juiceman and Breville. Does Best Buys sell them both?

Mona

Date: May 26, 2009 02:34AM

Mona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, everyone, so much for your input. I've
> tried to post several times in response to some of
> the ones above but am having computer problems
> right now.
>
> So I'm going to look into Juiceman and Breville.
> Does Best Buys sell them both?
>
> Mona

They only had the Breville when I was there...

Date: May 26, 2009 01:45PM

Mona Wrote:
> THank you so much for all your replies. I was
> thinking about a juiceman, too. I'm looking for
> something I can use several times a day and will
> hold up well.
>
> Can you buy it at a store or is on line best?
>
> Mona

You're welcome, Mona.

I don't know about sources, my Jack Lalanne was a Christmas present, but it seems to me online direct from the manufacturer has its advantages if they are offering extras. Mine came with 'Total Juicing', a scrub-brush, overflow base and an extra blade. But again, I don't know where it was purchased.

blessings, brad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 01:52PM by loeve.

Date: May 26, 2009 02:08PM

Hi Brad. Would you recommend the juicer? If so, why? Just want to know the advantages and disadvantages. This gives me a better idea of what to get. Thanks for your input.

Mona

Date: May 26, 2009 11:28PM

Yes, Mona. I would recommend it.

Advantages

Good at tough fruits and veggies
Will juice leafy greens once you learn how
The low (3600) rpm's produce little if any foam
Can be used a little like a grinder (I do)
Jack and Elaine promote 'Total Juicing'
Fairly quiet
Lifetime warrentee on motor

Disadvantages

Inefficient at wheatgrass
Sometimes more power would be nice
The motor grater seat can break

..the other juicers sound good too smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2009 02:18AM

loeve Wrote:
> ..again regarding how well the Jack Lalanne juicer
> holds up, the part that broke on my 'Classic' was
> the plastic motor housing cover that the grater
> screws onto. It broke when I forgot to install
> the grater -- breaking apart due presumably to
> centrifugal stress, but I gather this can happen
> in normal use and is covered by the lifetime
> warrentee on the motor. My repair using epoxy and
> stainless steel banding has held up fine but it is
> nice to know i can get a new motor base for the
> cost of shipping (at least in the US) if I have
> further problems.
>
> [www.fixya.com]
> lacement_power_juicer
>
> blessings

Update: My repair came undone and so this time I put in a couple stainless steel pins. Next time I might take advantage of the lifetime warrentee on the motor. I'm not disappointed because the unit has lasted 4 years (and counting) 'total juicing' all kinds of fruits, veggies and nuts, beyond what the manual said it would do, on the original blades and all.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 19, 2009 02:46PM

I have a Jack La Lanne juicer, but I am upgrading to a Green Star. The juicer works fine and I think is very easy to clean, but I think that over time the Green Star will pay for itself since there is probably far less waster with the Green Star juicer. From what I read, the pulp with a Green Star is very dry, while the pulp with my Jack LaLanne is not. I don't want to spend $$ on organic produce and have so much wasted in my current juicer.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 22, 2009 03:32PM

I received the Lalane juicer as a gift.
I had been using the basic Juiceman for a few years.
What I noticed right away was the amount of force you have to push on the veggies to get them through the Lalane.
The Juice man,,,you put in a carrot and its own weight is enough to make it go down.
Anyone else notice this?
I mean someone who doesnt have much arm strength will have a hard time with the lalane.
Is my blade in right??

The Juiceman is easier to clean too.
You dont have to use a tool to unscrew the blades.

Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 03:33PM by eaglefly.

Date: September 23, 2009 11:08PM

Very nice gift, the JL juicer. They are less powerful than the Juiceman 2. At 250 watts the JL is 1/3 horsepower and has 3600 rpm. At 770 watts the Juiceman 2? is 1 horsepower plus and is 2 speed up to 6000 rpm?. Kale can be juiced a couple leaves at a time. Filling the whole chute and then pressing doesn't always work. Carrots, fruits and lettuce are usually pretty easy. Foraged dandelions go a handfull at a time.

Brad

Date: September 24, 2009 11:53AM

Shoot! A watts to horsepower conversion factor tripped me up. The JL juicer has 1/4 HP. The Juiceman 2 about 1/2 HP. Fair enough?

Posted by: Manolie ()
Date: September 27, 2009 04:09AM

If you want a Jack LaLane blender for $25.00, go to the Montel Williams Health Master site and buy a "refurbished" one. I predict that neither the LaLane blender/juicer, nor the "Health Master" will last long enough to provide for your full satisfaction. To my recollection, the Health Master has a 60-days full refund guarantee. Ask them what the guarantee is on their "refurbished" LaLane unit before you buy, because even $25 is worth spending wisely. Again: "Expensive isn't expensive, and cheap isn't cheap." (Something the Chinese have said for millenia, but we Americans seem to still be learning (by buying their cheap products---China is where I believe both the Health Master and LaLane blenders are manufactured. Manolie

Date: September 27, 2009 06:40PM

I have the Lalane juicer and at first, I really liked it. It was a gift, so no complaints. Honestly tho, the juicer leaves alot of juice in the pulp that winds up in the pulp basket. If you use organic fruit, like most of us do, that seems very wasteful. I also have a vitamix and I use it about ten times more than the lalane juicer. I give the family a choice between juice or smoothies and smoothies always seem to win. I like the Lalane for carrot/apple juice. When I do juice, I put a recycled produce bag in the pulp basket so that it is easier to clean up. Just pull out and toss away. I imagine that there are better juicers out there for the money, but as a gift, for now I will use it.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 29, 2009 03:54PM

Well,
The other day I was juicing some carrots with the LaLane,and it was so hard to push them thru that I said "thats it".I packed it up and returned it.
Back to my Juiceman Jr.
Carrots slide right thrusmiling smiley

Vinny

Date: October 20, 2009 06:18PM

The recent comparisons between Omega models juicing 5 lbs of carrots inspired me to try it in my 4 year old JL juicer, producing on each of two runs about 50 oz. or 6 1/2 cups carrot juice from 5 lbs large unwashed California organic carrots, taking about 4 minutes to juice and 5 minutes to clean up each time. Not bad. By the way, on the second run I calibrated my kitchen scale and measured the "5 lbs carrots" and found the package actually about 5 1/2 lbs so I took out a few carrots to make it 5 lbs.

On the down side, while juicing foraged dandelion yesterday I pressed down so hard for so long that the temperature limit switch kicked in, which has happened dozens of times over the years without a problem, but this time the plastic motor housing basket seat had apparently gotten hot enough to stick to the motor housing essentially freezing the motor. Not good. Today after much prodding with a putty knife the basket seat is spinning freely again. Back in business. Whew!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 06:30PM by loeve.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 20, 2009 11:40PM

The JL juicer wastes a tremendous amount of juice demonstrated by the huge amount of WET pulp left in the upper part when you remove the large white top portion for cleaning. I had absolutely no luck juicing greens through my JL juicer when I tried it.

Keep in mind that the Omega VRT and the JL are completely DIFFERENT juicers. JL is "centrifugal" (spinning blade that heats up the produce and damages the enzymes and cells), while the Omega VRT is an "auger" juicer that turns slowly, crushing and pushing the pulp through the machine to squeeze out the juice with less cell damage and over-heating. They are 2 completely different machines and operate completely differently.

I, too, remember placing a great deal of force on the harder produce and causing the spinning blade to stop working or over-heat. I returned my JL after just a week of use because of the extreme wasted juice in the watery pulp at the top and the inability to juice greens. They just spun around the top part and stuck to the top portion of the machine. I would rather use a hand-cranked auger juicer than a JL machine ever again!!

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 21, 2009 02:42AM

plainlydressed,
Jack and Elaine Lalanne sell the idea of 'Total Juicing' along with their juicers, I have Elaine's book by that name which describes the pulp as packed with nutrients. Their latest infomercial refers to the pulp as 'beautiful', something one might save for use in recipes. For instance, the pulp from my carrot juicing is scouped out of my juicer from almost every nook and cranny and eaten raw as a grated carrot salad with some of the juice poured over it, which I find delicious and wastes next to nothing. If there is heat it is because I messed up like I shared from the other day about juicing foraged dandelions putting too many in at one time and then pressing -- it takes practice to load the juicer in such a way that it will juice greens efficiently without producing heat, like today juicing about 500 grams of dandelion (as usual with their woody roots) with one potato and two carrots without trouble then enjoyed the pulp salad with the juice poured over it. People are probably thinking 'how unsavory'.. whatever. Haha, I get that a lot.

Date: November 12, 2009 01:06PM

Happy 95th birthday to Jack Lalanne (about a month belated). His latest dream is to swim under water unassisted from Catalina Island to the mainland which is a heck of a long way hauling scuba gear and I wish him the best. My JL juicer is still holding up even after years of abuse and voiding the warrantee on just about every count. The man is holding up even better which makes me happy, having fond memories of my mom doing exercises watching his fitness show.

Date: November 14, 2009 12:14PM

> ...His latest dream is to swim under water
> unassisted from Catalina Island to the mainland
> which is a heck of a long way hauling scuba gear
> and I wish him the best...

Just checking about the Catalina swim, another article reported the dream to simply swim from the Island to the mainland California (not underwater). Thank goodness! Still, I hope the wind's at his back.

Date: November 26, 2009 04:06PM

> "another article reported the dream to simply swim from the
> Island to the mainland California (not
> underwater)."

Now I don't know after seeing these images of Russian free diver, Julia Petrik. She's using a dolphin kick with a monofin to keep pace with a Beluga whale under the frozen White Sea. Jack LaLanne would know the stroke from his endurance swims handcuffed and shackled, or purhaps opt for a flutter kick with dual fins, either way underwater swimming may suit him. Maybe he can convince Ms. Petrik to join him...

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 04:17PM by loeve.

Date: January 09, 2010 08:58AM

The Healthmaster 100 motor is great, but there is a WEAK link that has broken twice for me: the pitcher develops a leak - oil leaks from the bottom of the pitcher rendering the blender useless. The first time it happened, the blender was under warranty, so I got a replacement (pain in the a...) It worked okay for awhile, but now I have the same problem again.The warranty has expired. I'll call to try to locate a repair center. If it is too expensive to repair, I'll toss this blender and get a Vita Mix.

Date: January 27, 2010 10:24PM

Hi, what model do you have>? is it classic, elite , or pro?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables