Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's a good setup for growing Wheatgrass / Sprouts
Posted by: nyquil ()
Date: June 04, 2009 07:46PM

What's a good set up for growing wheatgrass?
what tray is the best that will prevent molding, etc

same question for sprouts smiling smiley

i see people growing sprouts by simply soaking the seeds in a glass jar, but surely growing it with a tray is probably better? and a bigger yeild?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's a good setup for growing Wheatgrass / Sprouts
Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 05, 2009 03:39PM

Wheatgrass can be grown with or without soil, but it can't be tossed around the way sprouts are in jars. It needs to be able to grow upward and not be jarred too badly. Standard black two-foot by one-foot agricultural trays are the most common thing, but not the only option. WheatgrassYogi has posted some very pretty photos of his growing in stainless steel mixing bowls. You can combat mold by making sure that the plants' roots are not too wet, and that your growing wheatgrass has good air circulation. Trays with drain holes can keep excess water from creating a bog-like situation around your roots. If you can, it helps to grow your wheatgrass in a spot where there is good air movement. Sometimes wheatgrass will mold because it is planted so densely that air can't move around between the blades. You may want to plant less densely if you're having this problem.

There are also different mold-suppressing chemicals people use, but I'm not the person to speak on that subject.

Most other types of sprouts will be less inclined to mold than wheatgrass, but the same principles apply. The sprouts should be rinsed with clean water, and not allowed to get too wet or too dry. Air circulation is important both for the sprouts' development and to control mold. Either jars or trays will work just fine for most types of sprouts.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 08, 2009 02:55PM

frances Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ........WheatgrassYogi has
> posted some very pretty photos of his growing in
> stainless steel mixing bowls.
Thank you Frances. I've been growing Wheatgrass for
years, and this is the best way to me. There's no mess...WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 08, 2009 07:24PM

ive been trying the YogiBowl too on and off the last few months and they seem to grow really well in them and they get enough airflow smiling smiley

no mess and they aesthetically pleasing smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: dhsredhead ()
Date: June 21, 2009 04:22PM

You may be surprised my how high of a yield you can get from growing sprouts in a glass jar. Using about a teaspoon of sprouts easily fills up a large mason jar with sprouts in a few days. Plus it is extremely easy and cheap. I started out with a sprouting jar I purchased for a few dollars that came with three lids for sprouting, but now I just use any glass jar I can get my hands on, cheese cloth and a rubber band to hold the cheese cloth on to the glass. I even reuse the cheese cloth, some people also use nut milk bags. For more sprouts I just use more jars, sometimes I have three or four growing at a time.

I soak my seeds/beans for roughly 24 hours. Then I continue to rinse them about once a day (sometimes twice if I remember) for a few days until they are ready. Then I throw them into a bowl of cold water and let them sit for a few minutes, after which I fish them out with a small sized mesh strainer. I store them in a glass container with a paper towel to absorb excess water and they usually will stay for about a week. More then enough time to grow more.

Living Foods for Optimum Health has great information on sprouting and growing wheat grass. Even though I have been growing sprouts for a while now I still found the information in that book really helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables