Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Blenders with Glass Containers?
Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 16, 2012 06:55AM

If the blender is no longer in production, don't the manufacturer support older models by having parts available nonetheless? IMO this is one of the "must have" signs of a good manufacturer, loyalty and reliability, especially when the product is expensive.

My Magimix juicer is oldish too, and too is no longer in production, but every single part of it is available as it was at the time I bought it. Currently i owe an inexpensive blender, but when it croaks I will most likely go for the Magimix one, because of this pride in their products that the company has.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SkyFeather ~ ()
Date: July 16, 2012 11:18AM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is actually better to blend using a plastic
> container, and even better if the plastic is
> BPA-free. The plastic container I use with my
> Vita-Prep 3 is 48-ounces, not BPA-free, and no
> longer in production. What am I going to do if it
> breaks?
> Glass has several disadvantages....the main one
> for me is inconvenience....Glass is so damn heavy,
> and unsafe with a high-speed Blender......WY

One picture= 1000 words winking smiley
[i1021.photobucket.com]

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: July 17, 2012 05:41AM

A convincing argument skyfeather, though I'd imagine that a top class manufacturer would make sure the container is strong enough to withstand high speed blending, whether plastic or glass.

Moreover, even my old underpowered 'Sunbeam' has an extra thick 'glass' container, and it's difficult to imagine it ever breaking under load whatever speed.

Anyway, personally, I prefer glass regardless of weight.

jalan

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 17, 2012 03:02PM

jalanutan Wrote:
> Anyway, personally, I prefer glass regardless of weight.

Here's a shot of the 48-ounce container (on the left) I use with a Vita-Prep 3 motor base. It's so easy to blend an individual serving, then just drink right out of the container. Glass would be too heavy and cumbersome for me on a daily basis.
Whichever container you use...glass or plastic......enjoy!!......WY

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: July 18, 2012 01:19PM

Agreed

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 19, 2012 03:42PM

In my humble opinion, an Eastman Triton Copolymer carafe is the way to go. When you think about all risks including the risk of glass shattering if it gets too hot or it a hard object like a date pit or nut shell traveling at high speed, then a BPA free plastic looks better and better.

Polycarbonate carafes are good too, esp if just for quick smoothies or something similar. Bottom line, no exposure, no risk. Even if BPA is present in the carafe, that doesn't mean it will be released in to the liquid. And in the absence of heat or acidity, there are little data to suggest that BPA leaches in any significant degree.

I believe this is what Coco said, more eloquently, before.

The whole BPB BPS thing is more nonsense. No evidence they are monomers in Vitamix products or if they were that the risks associated with BPA are associated with them. Unknown risk is inherent which is why we sometimes switch based on either learning something or having in front of us.

Paul

Posted by: z2704186 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:43PM

Yes, I think this is a very important question as well, and I am so glad I have found this forum!

I have a newish (two years old) kitchenaid blender with a glass carafe, but it does not liquefy food as well as I think it should. I have never owned a more powerful one, so it's difficult for me to know how much more powerful a blender could be. The main problem with this blender is the leakage from the base. It isn't much leakage, but it's still unacceptable especially when its expensive food. A more minor problem is that the food comes in contact with plastic at the bottom of the carafe where the glass meets the base.

I am now on a journey to find a replacement. I had been leaning towards a vitamix 5200, but the plastic-only selection of carafes is a turnoff, and the marketing goons such as "pborst" are an even bigger turnoff. Blendtec also only offers plastic carafes. I know someone who has a waring MX1050XT11 and says it liquefies everything, but it has a polycarbonate carafe.

At the moment the Waring MX1300XTS looks the best to me. It has a stainless steel carafe and goes for $700. The price is not a complete deal breaker for me, but I would prefer a glass carafe as glass is "cleaner". And I would prefer not to have to pay such an outrageous price.

I don't know if it's true, but stainless steel has nickel in it and nickel can leach in to food leading to god knows what. I am certain I am being obsessive and paranoid, but that's just how I am. Maybe you can help me: does all stainless have nickel in it? I'm not sure whats worse - nickel or toxic plastic. Glass would be ideal of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 03:44PM by z2704186.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:58PM

z2704186 Wrote:
.....I am now on a journey to find a replacement. I had been leaning towards a vitamix 5200

I've tried just about brand of Juicer and Blender on the market over the years. When it comes to Blenders, Vitamix has them all beat......WY

Date: December 14, 2012 10:02PM

WY,
If vitamix offered glass carafes or even 18/0 stainless steel carafes, then I would have bought one of their blenders yesterday.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 10:03PM by z2704186.

Date: December 14, 2012 11:39PM

z2704186 Wrote:
.....then I would have bought one of their blenders yesterday.

I can only tell you what I would do based on years of experience and mistakes.
The Bottom Line...."Do something even if it's wrong"......WY

Date: December 15, 2012 11:59AM

I am considering buying a cheaper, lower powered blender so I can have a glass carafe. Ultimately I see no other way for me. I have hemochromatosis, so the iron from the metal carafe isnt good for my blood. And plastic is toxic to everyone. So the original question is indeed perfect: Are there any good glass-carafed blenders out there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 11:59AM by z2704186.

Posted by: drummerben04 ()
Date: August 15, 2013 10:38AM

Wow! Yes their is all sorts of Bisphenols from A-Z. It's good that it 'a BPA free but I certainly wouldn't be doing any boiling with the plastic on any machine. Has anybody figured out if you can use the Waring Xtreme carafes on the vitamix like Frances pointed out. I know this is an old thread but I thought I 'd take a crack at it, don't know who will answer. Ha ha Peace!

Posted by: silky85282 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 05:46AM

@drummerben04, yes, according to this website, the Waring Xtreme and the Vitamix are interchangeable.

Pretty amazing this thread is still going after four years. I wonder how JohnA and
phorst are doing, and if they ever made up?

Posted by: silky85282 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 06:00AM

I forgot the website:

[www.freshandalive.com]

Posted by: bethfly ()
Date: November 20, 2013 04:20AM

Hi everyone. I came here following a Google search for "Vitamix" and "plastic". My name is Beth Terry, and I write the blog "My Plastic-Free Life". I have been researching the issue of chemicals in plastics for six years, and if you talk to an endocrinologist (not a toxicologist), they can explain why it is that the chemicals in plastics (phthalates, BPA, and others) are very harmful to humans at low doses. The Vitamix is now made with Eastman Tritan Copolyester, which has shown hormone-disrupting effects in some studies.

I have put up a petition on Change.org asking Vitamix to offer a stainless steel alternative... basically to bring back the original stainless steel pitcher that they used to offer. Yes, you can still get them on eBay, but as someone else in this forum said, wouldn't it be great if the new machines had stainless steel as an option?

Here is the link to the petition: [www.change.org]

And to the people who were asking about glass, you can get blenders with all glass and metal pitchers, but they are not as fast. I love my Waring Pro. Here is a blog I wrote about it not long ago:

[myplasticfreelife.com]

Thank you for listening. I know it can be annoying when someone signs up for a list just because they have a certain agenda. But I can assure you that I am a raw smoothie advocate and would buy a Vitamix in a heartbeat if I could get it without plastic!

Date: December 03, 2013 06:24PM

If I wanted to go with a blender with a glass carafe, I would go with a Tribest Dynablend for $189. [www.discountjuicers.com] John Kohler has a good video about the pros and cons. I'll stick with Vitamix.

Posted by: bargraft ()
Date: March 05, 2014 05:38PM

Titan Copolymer is no safer than polycarbonate both cause estrogenic activity
see Mother Jones and interview on this topic on Democracy Now

[www.democracynow.org]

I want to find a blender with a glass container

Posted by: Jewell ()
Date: March 05, 2014 11:22PM

Hi all, I am new here, and just signed up because I was at the library yesterday, and I came across this blender with a glass jar mentioned in a vegetarian magazine, and thought that I would share it here: [www.tribestlife.com]

I am thinking about buying this model and giving it a test run. If I do, I will come back and post my opinion of it. If anyone else here tries it, please do the same!

Personally, I try to avoid having our food come into contact with plastic containers as much as possible, no matter how long, and no matter if *they* tell me it's a new and improved safe version or not. I realize that's not doable 100%, but I do my best when I have control over the situation. Here is some info I came across about tin cans, but I think it also applies to this discussion: [www.breastcancerfund.org]

Boy, it's hard to keep our bodies clean these days! I am thankful that discussions such as this one exist here at our fingertips for us to learn from each other. Thanks to you all.

Posted by: Jewell ()
Date: March 05, 2014 11:38PM

I just did a bit of Googling for reviews on the Tribest, and Amazon has a few negative ones. Maybe it was too good to be true.

Posted by: willow108 ()
Date: March 06, 2014 03:04PM

I googled glass blenders and found myself reading this thread. I was shocked to read the unprofessional and aggressive attacks by Phorst on a new member.There are 80,000 chemicals used in plastics. Few have been tested for safety. It IS worth asking these questions about how safe plastic containers actually are. Tritan has employed dubious research tactics to get the resut they desired. Here is a link to a Mother Jones article about estrogenic activity of BPA free plastics. Be informed!

[www.motherjones.com]

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 06, 2014 04:00PM

willow108 Wrote:
> I googled glass blenders and found myself reading
> this thread. I was shocked to read the
> unprofessional and aggressive attacks by Phorst on
> a new member.There are 80,000 chemicals used in
> plastics. Few have been tested for safety. It IS
> worth asking these questions about how safe
> plastic containers actually are. Tritan has
> employed dubious research tactics to get the resut
> they desired. Here is a link to a Mother Jones
> article about estrogenic activity of BPA free
> plastics. Be informed!
>
> [www.motherjones.com]
> tan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe

Sure plastic containers suck but for high speed blenders glass carafes aren't ever going to happen. Too dangerous. Stainless steel ones are possible but in this application would probably cost at least $400 - probably not worth it for an high speed blender company to invest in developing as few would buy it.

Remember this is a raw food site. People here are not using their high speed blenders long enough to heat food up so we would not be as subjected to the plastic problems the general public will face with using them.

If you are not interested in the raw food lifestyle you could always use your high speed blender plastic carafe to blend soups, for instance, then remove them once blended and heat them by a more traditional method to avoid most plastic problems completely.

Posted by: RitaC ()
Date: March 09, 2014 12:52PM

Hi - I found myself here after the mother jones article and interview I saw this week with the researcher.

I have a vitamix with the new container, two versions of the nutribullet with different motor speeds and an omega masticating juicer. I would prefer glass . (Period)

Regardless of the food temp I believe you will see leaching (greying) - you clean the container in warm water - when you induce that powerful motor things heat up.

I am glad that poor John was vindicated. What an unloving an malicious attack. My experience in the raw food community has been that most folks develop a much stronger connection with their higher power and their consciousness expands.

I saw a few minutes ago (so I need to see if this is true) that a mason jar will fit on most blender blades - I will try this on my nutribullet which I Love.

I am curious if the glass containers from the other glass container blenders will fit on my vitamix (?)

I have asked the nutribullet folks about glass but have gotten no response. I love making a superfood tonic in the morning with it or juicing a salad with powdered mushrooms etc .. It has been so handy and easy to clean. I was bummed about the new research and then to think I may be poisoning myself when I am trying to love myself so well ..

Thanks for the sharing and I hope we have more positive idea sharing.

Rita

Posted by: luvsdogs34 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 04:11PM

Hi there. I Googled "glass blender jars" this morning and found this conversation. I haven't read all 3 pages of comments but I thought I would clarify for many of you the reason high speed blenders (well actually I can only speak for Blendtec specifically because I contacted them about it) don't have glass jars is this:

"We do not have glass jars and do not plan on having them in the future. The weight of that kind of design would be too heavy for the motor base and would affect the power and efficiency"

"The lightweight jars help with the speed of the blade and the socket on the blender can turn faster with less resistance. All of our products are tested extensively and designed for the best performance possible"

Nothing was mentioned about glass breaking being a concern, although I suppose if you dropped a spoon into the jar while it was running, you could break the jar. I know because I did that with an old Osterizer blender over 25 years ago when I was a kid! smiling smiley (oops)

So I suppose for those of us who prefer glass, we buy cheaper blenders and deal with foods less blended. . . .very disappointing as I wouldn't have spent over 300 bucks on a Blendtec. . . . It's extremely hard to live "plastic free" but I'm trying.

Posted by: deserthi ()
Date: June 02, 2014 04:30AM

Think about it for a minute....as you grind solid things in your vitamix it will eventually wear down the plastic and that will allow it into your food. Watch this video on Democracy Now....
[www.democracynow.org]

I will be looking for a new metal or glass blender jar that I can covert to work on my Vitamix.

Posted by: steveg ()
Date: June 27, 2014 07:19PM

"Estrogenic chemicals often leach from BPA-free plastic products that are replacements for BPA-containing polycarbonate products"

[www.ehjournal.net]

"Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals: A Potential Health Problem That Can Be Solved"

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

and the Mother Jones article link:

"The Scary New Evidence on BPA-Free Plastics"

[www.motherjones.com]

(...and please, no knee-jerk, plastics-industry-defending cries of "troll" - this is an important discussion topic with legitimate science behind it)

Posted by: steveg ()
Date: June 27, 2014 07:31PM

also:

"Metal water bottles may leach BPA"

[www.sciencenews.org]

Posted by: knightowl ()
Date: October 16, 2014 03:36PM

Hi
Just a point..
I got a powerful 3 horsepower blender a few weeks ago..
Used it about five times.. Blended nuts, rolled oats, to make milk and dates... Used a plastic spatchula and under the light there is little scratches on the jug, inside.. All up the wall of the jug..
The problem with plastic is scratches can hold bacteria? Or leach plastic?
The brand is really good has five year warranty Optimum 9400 Was $500 to buy
I think glass would be safest option as won't scratch?

Posted by: Healthy ()
Date: October 18, 2014 11:23AM

I'm currently using a low-power blender with a glass jar, and am ready to step it up. I got here via googling for glass jars, and I very much appreciate this thread (minus the one jerk wierdly and viciously attacking the new user--wow).

Wondering if anyone has found a specific Waring (or other) glass jar which will fit a Vitamix (or Blendtec) base? Please post if you have -- thank you.

Date: December 08, 2014 02:30PM

Actually, for Triton Copolymer, third party testing has shown it is not estrogenic. http://www.chem.info/news/2010/05/new-third-party-test-results-confirm-eastman-tritan-copolyester-free-bisphenol-and-estrogenic-activity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 02:31PM by pborst.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 11, 2014 04:47PM

pborst Wrote:
> Actually, for Triton Copolymer, third party
> testing has shown it is not estrogenic.
> [www.chem.info]-
> test-results-confirm-eastman-tritan-copolyester-fr
> ee-bisphenol-and-estrogenic-activity

Thanks! That's good to know.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables