Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Liner for Norwalk Juicer Cloths?
Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: April 01, 2011 09:23PM

Hi I've juiced with my new refurb Norwalk 275 a couple times this week, I got it on Monday March 28th. Yesterday was the messiest episode thus far, but I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was juicing a bunch of greens and mushy fruit (nectarines). Blowback wasn't a big deal, but pressing was a pain, cloths kept coming undone and even spewed greens on me and the refrigerator behind me ha ha.

After a couple tries I realized that I needed to use a paper towel as a liner inside the cloths. Once I did that it was just fine.

But, I did notice a little white ooze with the juice now, presumably bleach or dye, whatever nasty chemicals they add to the paper towels, maybe preservatives. Anyways, I figured I would ask if any of you know of a good organic paper towel fit to be edible? Or perhaps an alternative I could use as a liner for these cloths?

Apart from this, I'm really happy with the juice, it is super super delicious, I find greens to be way tastier by juicing than by blending. That's not to say I'm going to stop blending, but it does seem easier for me to do more greens than fruit via juicing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liner for Norwalk Juicer Cloths?
Date: April 04, 2011 12:20AM

Hmm I'm thinking maybe these Chemex Coffee Filters, only thing is it mentions filtering out some oils/fats.. Probably want those, on the other hand maybe the press will squeeze them out anyways.

Main concern is just avoiding the mess and it would be great to avoid introducing anything foreign/unhealthy into the juice. It'd be nice if the "filter" were re-usable, then I wouldn't have this overhead thing going on.

Would a strainer do the trick? What are the better ones out there? A nutmilk strainer seems redundant as I am already using a cloth…

Edit: Just found this thread best juice strainer please?.. Unfortunately the link to the Effepi is no longer working and I can't seem to find a place that sells them. Anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 12:32AM by adamlogan.

Date: April 04, 2011 01:08AM

I just went to the top of the site www.cissrl.itand searched for "Piazza Effepi" as Super Juicer says in the other thread and I got results, but now I realize those are for the standard juicers, not relevant to the press. I am thinking I'd like something made out of stainless steel a fine mesh but in the shape of a flexible square cloth.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 04, 2011 04:48AM

adamlogan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...... but now I realize those are for the
> standard juicers, not relevant to the press.
I can't understand why you Children don't listen to me? I'll say it again....Stay away from the Norwalk and GreenStar.
Phew, now I got that off my chest, and can go back to bed.....WY

Posted by: developtrust ()
Date: January 29, 2012 03:52AM

I sell refurbished Norwalk juicers and service them in California near San Diego. I have been juicing for over 40 years and I have a DVD that I sell with many tips and tricks showing how to save time and keep your juice from getting hot when you make a large batch.

As for lining your cloths YES this is necessary with fruit and with greens only and you MUST use the brown napkins available at most health food stores. Do NOT use white bleached napkins or paper towels. I have videos showing how to do this properly and the wrong way too taken from this Instruction DVD. I'd be happy to send these videos free of charge to anyone on this forum if you contact me at developtrust at cox dot net (spelled out email to deter Phishing robots.) You can also check my web site at www dot wholehealthfound dot com.

Posted by: inflxshn ()
Date: February 17, 2012 01:02AM

Fantastic post developtrust!

The video for juicing was incredible, saved me OODLES of time and gave me at least 30% more juice!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: February 17, 2012 06:49AM

inflxshn Wrote:
> Fantastic post developtrust!....Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The Norwalk Press may be okay for a place like the Gerson Institute, but it's too difficult for home use.
I give up trying to convince people...*. Besides, squeezing juice through a nylon cloth lined with paper isn't the way to juice. Think about it. Some people have even suggested using Nylon Stockings.**

*throwing hands into the air
**bending over, shaking head, and using some mild profanities (like 'Heaven help us'...'what is this World coming to'...'how can people be so Blind'...etc).

Posted by: samsonn100 ()
Date: July 26, 2015 05:28PM

Its time to update this post! Brown Paper napkins are full of chemicals too. I have a study from the EU that shows the levels of residual chems in paper products. Now thats not too bad if it is dry and just touches the skin, but as soon as u wet them they release the chem brew. The FDA has a set of guidelines for diapers that touch babies bums which get wet. The solution to the problem of sticky produce is to use a liner that is made of renewable eco-sustainable Bamboo. I found these on ebay and they work great. They are even reusable in the same juicing session. They are not cheap but these bamboo liners work great. Developtrust actually sells them but he has not undated his previous post. These liners do not fall apart or leach chemicals when in contact with juice.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: July 27, 2015 12:21AM

samsonn100 Wrote:
The solution to the problem of
> sticky produce is to use a liner that is made of
> renewable eco-sustainable Bamboo. I found these on
> ebay and they work great. They are even reusable
> in the same juicing session. They are not cheap
> but these bamboo liners work great. Developtrust
> actually sells them but he has not undated his
> previous post. These liners do not fall apart or
> leach chemicals when in contact with juice.

Samsonn100, while bamboo itself is eco-sustainable the fabrics made from bamboo really aren't at all. The chemical solvent used to dissolve it's cellulose in the processing is carbon disulfide which is very bad news for living things and the environment in general.

I don't have a Norwalk juicer but I do use their regular nylon cloths for my Welles Press. In my experience the only leakage I've had was from overfilling the cloth. If you keep the amount of filling to from 3/4 of a cup to a cup, and fold it in the cloth carefully I doubt you will need to resort to liners.

Kristenraw, (who no longer is raw and has since sold her Norwalk) has a really good youtube series on using the Norwalk juicer if you are interested. She and her husband had some good tips I hadn't seen elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 12:22AM by SueZ.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables