Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sugar cane juice
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 30, 2009 01:37AM

hi... i just bought a machine that makes a delicious juice from sugar cane. I have drank it many times in China and Thailand and it was always so delicious. I always wanted one for my home.

Does anyone know if its nutritious or healthy to drink this juice? its not as green as wheatgrass and tastes a lot better, in my opinion. It sure tastes good with a bit of lemon or ginger, really

thanksin advance for any info

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sugar cane juice
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 30, 2009 02:10AM

howiehawaii Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi... i just bought a machine that makes a
> delicious juice from sugar cane.
I'd like to know what juicer it is....WY

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: June 30, 2009 12:08PM

I've been told it requires a special machine built only for sugar cane & it's quite costly.
I've tasted the juice once or twice. It's like drinking pure sugar. Too concentrated for me.

Date: June 30, 2009 04:25PM

Thanks Rawne....you're right.
How would this little beauty look in a home kitchen??

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 30, 2009 04:39PM

n/t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 04:47PM by rawne.

Date: June 30, 2009 04:46PM

WY, perhaps they're all similar but the one you posted the link to is just like the one I've seen in a local Mexican produce market. I browsed for prices & the cheapest I found was $1500.00; however, I didn't look extensively. Perhaps one can find a cheaper one used.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 30, 2009 05:26PM

I found this on this site , i guess like everything else .. its not a bad thing when eaten as close to its natural state smiling smiley [www.sugarindia.com]

Benefits of Raw Sugar Cane juice:

Sugarcane juice is great for recharging energy because it contains rich carbohydrate and iron. Green-typed tropical sugarcane is sweetest and juiciest. It is also elephant's favorite.

Being a nutritious product containing natural sugars, minerals and organic acids, sugarcane juice has many medicinal properties.

It strengthens the stomach, kidneys, heart, eyes, brain and sex organs.

The juice is beneficial in fevers. In febrile disorders which causes fever, when there is a great protein loss, liberal intake of sugarcane juice supplies the body with necessary protein and other food elements.

Sugarcane is very useful in scanty urination. It keeps the urinary flow clear and helps the kidneys to perform their functions properly. It is also valuable in burning micturation due to high acidity, genorrhoea, enlarged prostate, cyctitis and nepthritis. For better results, it should be mixed with lime juice, ginger juice and coconut water.

Mixed with lime juice, it can hasten recovery from jaundice. It is, however, very essential that the juice, must be clean, preferably prepared at home. Resistance is low in hepatitis and any infected beverage could make matters worse.

The juice sucked from the sugarcane can prove highly valuable in case of weak teeth due to lack of proper exercise resulting from excessive use of soft foods. It gives a form of exercise to the teeth and makes them strong. It also keeps the teeth clean and increases their life.

Sugarcane juice is a fattening food. It is thus an effective remedy for thinness. Rapid gain in weight can be achieved by its regular use.

The dew which collects on the long leaves of sugarcane is useful in several eye disorders. When instilled in the eyes, it is an effective medicine in defective vision, cataract, conjunctivitis, burning of the eyes and eye-strain after excessive reading.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 01, 2009 09:45PM

Thanks for your research Jodi. Talking about Sugar Cane
brings back fond memories for me. When I was a boy, my Dad would
occasionally bring home some Sugar Canes. No fancy juicer for us
(also 2 brothers), we just used pocket knives and our teeth....WY

Date: July 02, 2009 04:13PM

wowza Yogi that is pretty cool ! i only had raw sugar cane once when i was a little kid and we were visiting a cane plantation in hawaii while on vacationsmiling smiley

and yes we just used our teeth heh ! =)

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 06, 2009 01:45PM

I know it is very nutritious for you, but in moderation because of the sweetness. When I lived in Belize, we were surrounded by sugarcane fields (the main industry) and most folks went around chewing on the raw cane all day, especially the kids. The pulp is not edible, but they would chew on it and suck out the juice and spit out the pulp. I liked it, but never had the time to really enjoy it when working (mission nurse). I do know that alot of the locals had plenty of bad dental problems because of the sugarcane, but mostly from poor diet and hygiene.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: July 06, 2009 08:15PM

i thought for sure fruitrian girl suvivine would have some input on this.

i have read about her enjoying this drink.

i think she gets it fresh squeezed amounst little fruit stands in florida.

Date: July 06, 2009 10:58PM

pineapple girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i thought for sure fruitrian girl suvivine would
> have some input on this.
I don't think Suvine is following this Forum
anymore....haven't seen any posts from her in a long time.

Date: July 06, 2009 11:17PM

yes she only pops in from time to time

i think she was going thru some non diet related life changes and perhaps that is taking up her focus at the moment smiling smiley

Posted by: NeonBee ()
Date: July 08, 2009 02:25AM

Living on a border town (Texas/Mexico) we see sugar cane fields all over the place. On the Mexican side you see all types of contraptions that remove the juice from the cane. A common one (we have seen this a few times) looks like an old style ringer washer roller set, where the rollers are either large steel pipes, coffee cans filled with cement, wooden rollers, etc (ingenious uses of things). The husk is stripped from the cane and then the remains are fed through the hand cranked rollers (usually from the bottom up) where the juice is collected in a pail. It is a poor person's method but it works. Fresh cane juice is delicious, refreshing, and very sweet with a rich after taste.

It is very common to see it being chewed too (and the fiber spit out on the ground).

Date: July 08, 2009 03:30AM

NeonBee....Thanks for your descriptive report. It points
up, in my mind, that we, ourselves, need to process our own food,
rather than letting someone else do it (that goes for Juice Bars too).
If I was going to have Sugar Cane Juice, I'd buy the canes, cut them
up, and run the cuttings through my single-auger Juicer. I wouldn't want
a field-worker doing the juicing for me....WY

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 09, 2009 03:21PM

NeonBee,

You have finally given me a good reason to get a James Washer like my grandma had:
[www.realgoods.com]

When I win the lottery, that is!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables