Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mixing vegetables/fruits in smoothies & juices
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 15, 2009 12:42AM

Many raw food gurus advise against the mixing vegetables/fruits in smoothies & juices due to a clash of enzymes. However, most recipes I see do have a mixture of both. A lot of youtube vids. of raw "experts" mix them in order to make them more palatable, I suppose.

I have *control* over my taste buds, so I do not really need to suppress greens with fruit to mask the taste. I know apples are the universal mixing fruit, so I do add them in most of my drinks.

The reason that they usually state is that it causes gas/bloating & other undesirable effects.

What do you guys/gals think about this? Do you mix/temper your greens with fruits such as pineapple/kiwi/strawberries? Have you given any thought to the enzyme clash when mixing them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing vegetables/fruits in smoothies & juices
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 16, 2009 10:48PM

No one has any input on this question?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 17, 2009 12:08AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many raw food gurus advise against the mixing
> vegetables/fruits in smoothies & juices due to a
> clash of enzymes.
When I'm blending, which is often now, I go by how
the ingredients 'blend', and become Homogenized. I feel better
when it all becomes 'one'. Fruit and Greens do fine together, but
Greens, Carrot, and Fruit tend to separate. I'm still experimenting....WY

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: July 26, 2009 05:59PM

What about carrot juice (maybe with greens too) blended with whole apples? or carrot juice, whole greens, and whole apples? What have you tried WY?

I am interested because that may deal with the supposed fiber effects I posted in another thread, I was given a few links to studies on the sugar without fibre issue, I enjoyed much of the last month juicing several lbs of organic carrots a day getting 25lb packs for like 18-19 dollars, it tasted good for a while and very nutrient dense, but the possibility remains, hence I wonder if apple = enough fibre, if food combining of apple + carrot is ok? etc. I know your view on fibre differs, how does the body know and where does it draw the line?

Date: July 26, 2009 06:11PM

[www.abc.net.au]

[today.ucsf.edu]

Thought i would add some links here about the whole issue.

It clearly seems like we need some fibere with high fructose. Perhaps look at the most dense source nature "allows" as a human food as-is, and if one thrives on that fruit. and THEN you can try to re-create it through some juice/veg combo if it combines well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 06:12PM by Ebhak.

Date: July 26, 2009 06:17PM

Ebhak Wrote:
> What about carrot juice (maybe with greens too)
> blended with whole apples? or carrot juice, whole
> greens, and whole apples? What have you tried
> WY?
I've given up on sweet Fruit (bananas, figs, apples,
cherries, strawberries, etc.) for a while. My Smoothies
are always the same now, including 5 ingredients.....Carrot, Celery,
washed Mixed Greens, sweet mini-Peppers, and Tomato. When I use
too much Tomato, the mixture tends to separate. My reasoning tells
me Tomato doesn't mix, enzyme wise, with the other ingredients. I
don't plan to give it up, because Tomato 'makes' the Smoothie....WY

Date: July 26, 2009 07:09PM

Which ingredients are juiced and which are whole?

Posted by: NeonBee ()
Date: July 27, 2009 03:20AM

I've noticed that high water fruits mixed with greens do cause seperation but most of the drinks I make are veggy based (usually the same ingredients; greens, beets, carrots, celery). For sweetness I usually blend some dates with a little bit of water and add to sweeten. If I add apple, orange, or anything acidic it seems to cause bloating.

Date: July 27, 2009 07:37AM

acid and sweet DO NOT MIX.
it is VERY IMPORTANT. they are completely opposing enzymatic and metabolic cascades. i.e if you make a banana orange smoothie your absorption is getting close to 0%. it actually causes fermentation and auto-toxicity. so this most likely includes carrot/tomatoe juice. there are great food combining charts out there.

where do your signifigant calories come from WY? carrot juice? or do you also do other stuff besides that smoothie like other fruits, nuts, grains, cooked?

back to combining, generally it is best to keep fruits within their own type. acid with acid, sub-acid with sub-acid, sweet with sweet. greens go with most but many say best alone. citrus and greens can mix with fat, but some disagree on the citrus+fat. melons alone. most here probably have come across that.

it's not just what you put into your digestive system, it's what you can assimilate, and what toxic byproducts or cascades, beneficial or deterimental, occur.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:42PM

Interesting thread. My smoothies usually consist of some kind of sweet juicy fruit (for easy blending) like: Grapes, Peaches, or Nectarines. Then I will typically add whatever fresh fruits I have on-hand like: Strawberries or Blueberries, etc. I also add fresh apples and raw tomatoes to my smoothies as well, along with fresh dark greens like Kale, Spinach, Collards, etc.

How does that type of mixture fair on the charts?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: August 02, 2009 04:10PM

I wouldn't listen to these "gurus." You can eat fruits and veggies together, there's no difference if they're whole or ground into a smoothie

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Date: August 02, 2009 04:16PM

rawfoods Wrote:
> .......You can eat
> fruits and veggies together, there's no difference
> if they're whole or ground into a smoothie
I'll have to disagree with this. The Teeth are a poor
method when compared to a Blender.....WY

Date: August 02, 2009 06:18PM

PLainlydressed, the simpler the better, you are better off not mixing the tomatoes in with sweet fruits. Tomatoes are an acid fruit.

Check these out

[www.helionpub.com]
[www.abcompany.com]

As for teeth vs blender.... blender pulverizes and breaks down more, but introduces more oxygen, friction, and changes the natural satiation limit of food. It is best to swish around the mouth to still stimulate digestion/enzymes. There are possibly electrical/energetic and mechanical properties changes as well. This roughly balances out due to the increased absorption and assimilation due to particle size.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 06:20PM by Ebhak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables