Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega's new Vertial-Auger juicer
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 16, 2009 07:29AM

John Kohler of DiscountJuicers.com introduces the new
Omega VRT330. The idea of a vertical-auger is revolutionary, but
Omega missed the mark with this one. I see a cheap plastic juicer,
made in Korea, with very wet pulp. It also squeaks when juicing
Wheatgrass. As much as I like Omega juicers, I get a bad feeling
about this one.
Also, the price tag is pretty steep at $350....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omega's new Vertial-Auger juicer
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 16, 2009 12:06PM

Interesting concept; I will have to view the vid. later, as I am pressed for time right now. Without really looking at it closely, I am not sure of the benefit of vertical vs. horizontal auger. Isn't it just the same juicer in a different position? Maybe, maybe not...

But as you mentioned, price tag is a bit out of range. If I were going to spend that much, I would throw another $50-$75 or so in to the pot & get a twin gear.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2009 07:47PM

I just bought Omega 8006, but I wouldn't have gone for VRT330 even if it was out earlier because its expensive like you mentioned and also it cannot be used as a grinder (atleast it looks that way) or pasta/noodle press.

On the other hand, my auger broke within two weeks of buying 8006, so it was sent back and now I am waiting without a juicer to receive a replacement sad smiley

Date: July 16, 2009 10:47PM

I had a chance to view the vid. I believe I do like it, the silicone wipers are a neat concept in keeping the juicing screen clean. That is one of my complaints w/ the single auger model that I have now. A real downside with this model is the fact that it is a "juicer only", & will not grind/homogenize, nut butters, etc.

I would also like to get a good view of the pulp, to actually see how dry it is.

If the price was lower, like $200.00 lower, I might be tempted to make the purchase - but I can guarantee you I will not be paying anywhere near $349.00 for it!

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: July 26, 2009 06:15PM

My friend last night had a Hurom slow juicer, looks the same here.

It had a huge chute, the same size as many centrigufals! and the wipers look cool.

His watermelon he juiced (I just eat mine usually) came out with wet pulp whereas my omega 8006 it was quite dry, however he was putting HUGE chunks down the chute.

I think he told me he got his for 300 which is cheaper, still 50 more then what I paid for my omega.

the lack of functions, is something but I don't homogenize much at the moment, I have a blender, but the fruit sorbet is something I enjoy.

What I am wondering is the efficiency, especially with larger chute and matter being fed through, though it does have larger auger, and screen.

would make it easier to juice a few things for me, like greens perhaps...
They say it juices it all... Too bad no "blank plate"... If I could get one for the same price as mine now I'd consider it, from what I saw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 06:17PM by Ebhak.

Date: July 26, 2009 07:10PM

What do you make of it WY, the omega looks identical, I heard you say, cheap plastic made in Korea eh, it's got a huge chute, and looked pretty nice in action. I'd have to do a comparison, but hey it's not hard for me to make green juice with the 8006, but if it was just as efficient I'd CONSIDER a trade, and make sorbets in the blender, which may be hard on the blade?

Date: July 27, 2009 02:23AM

Discount juicer review of these juicers on youtube.

[www.youtube.com]

They are essentially the same model, made by the same company in Korea. Full 10 yr. warranty. After viewing several videos of them, they are starting to grow on me.

In one of the videos, he "stalls" the machine a couple times by putting too many carrots into it. I wonder if this is an issue with these juicer models? I have never stalled any of my juicers, & I have done a boatload of juicing in my time...

Very neat cleanup concept by running water through it - I will have to try that with my Samson! What I am probably most impressed with is the fact that they are slow juicers and self feeding;

With my Samson, you really have to bear down pretty hard in order to get produce pushed through it. Also, my Samson creates a good deal of "foam" on the juice sieve that they provide, & I am having to continually needing to clean that off so the juice will run through.

They don't sieve the juice at all with these vertical models, I would like to try the juice at a demo to see how much pulp is contained in it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 02:26AM by juicerkatz.

Date: July 27, 2009 06:39AM

the instructions on my omega 8006 say to use the sieve after the juicing process. not too hard to buy/build something to work. There didn't seem to be much pulp yesterday in the juice my friend made.

Yes, I figured that the main purpose long term I forsee, is green juices from greens I forage/grow/buy. I may be comfortable with my level of whole-green intake in the future, but at the moment I like my green juices. The increase in speed would be worth the loss of some function. I don't do alot of gourmet, don't homogenize alot of items, but I could see the utility. Usually I am making a single meal at a time, for one, with extra to share with those who want to snack it off around me, if this is the case.

So, if this can save me some time, for the primary purpose of my juicer, to juice, and effiency was equal, and quality, then it would be worth my effort and a few more bucks, if that is the case.

Posted by: tealady ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:43PM

I was looking at the omega 8003 and it seemed the chute was very small. Is it like this on all of the omega's? We are new at this so I am not sure but it seemed slow, I am gathering this is a good thing from some of the reviews? We are looking for it for mostly wheat grass as we really like to use the vita mix for our daily drinking greens. We are also considering a manual wheatgrass machine. Any thoughts?

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: July 27, 2009 06:04PM

hi tea lady...

following this thread so far and knowing quite alot about juicers since i have gone from "a to z" trying to find one which gives me the greatest amount benefits and the least number of"non- favorable" features.

after the advent of the twin gear,low r.p.m. juicer ......a number of single gear platic juicers appeared on the maket at slightly cheaper prices. here i must reiterate the old slogan "you get what you pay for."

the new verticle juicer is just another on that same band wagon of less than optimal, mostly plastic, single gear machines. intro ducing a few new gimmicks to make it appear as"new".

the manual "hand crank" wheatgrass machines are not too bad and certainly have improved from the old heavy cast iron ones which i tried back in the 1980's. none the less they are a labor intensive variety which can be quite toublesome if they are not anchored down on to your table or counter top properly. they can nicely deliver a few ounces of juice at a time with a not an unreasonable amount of "arm cranking" effort.

the single gear juicers like the omega and the samson are plain and simply a "hand crank" with a motor. in fact the machine called solostar has a conversion kit which allow you to convert your hank crank into a motorized version or vice versa ...(motorized into hand crank).

looking at the you tube video and listening to the sounds that the new omega vrt 330 was making ....i would definetly recommend to approach with caution and more so evan to avoid entirely.

there are a few motorized wheat grass juicers such as the wheateena (not too bad) and the low end,poor quality called the miracle mj-550.(could break down easily)

the twin gear greenstar is voracious in the way which it literally"chews up" and juices out handfuls of wheatgrass in a matter of seconds (really dry pulp) it is by far the strongest and most efficient of the wheatgrass juicing machines. it can be rinsed out between juicings by pouring water down the feeding chute and then cleaned at the end of the day. purchasing this one would be for someone who was really into wheatgrass and not just the "one shot" type of consumer.

for the "one shot" type of consumer...the hand crank may be the "best bet". make sure you have a good place you can anchor it down tho.... so that it doesn't rattle your table or cause you to be disenchanted by having to "screw it down" and "unscrew it off" for cleaning every time you use it.

hope this helps you find what you need.

juicin" john

Posted by: tealady ()
Date: July 27, 2009 06:44PM

Wow, thanks John for the detailed reply. It was very much appreciated. I ended up purchasing the Hurricane I think it is called from wheatgrasskits. It was $109 but it has a $60 trade in so I figure I cant go wrong if I become a wheatgrass junkie then I can upgrade without being out to much. Thanks again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 06:46PM by tealady.

Date: August 01, 2009 01:28AM

What does the squeak mean? my omega 8006 squeaks on wheatgrass often to.
also is the Hurom slow juicer the same?

why does it look cheap? other juicers are plastic. they claim it's made by same people who make the others

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2009 01:29AM by Ebhak.

Date: August 01, 2009 01:46AM

The squeak doesn't bother me; it is just the acoustic sound of the vegetable matter being pulled through the juicer. I personally don't mind the appearance. Not everyone can afford stainless steel appliances. What bothers me more about the hurom & omega vertical is that he stalls the thing on carrots.

Date: August 02, 2009 06:22PM

Well, if someone buys my brand new omega 8006 I'm still considering buying this one as my main purpose is juicing. The squeak doesn't bother me. I would like to grow some wheatgrass.

Date: August 02, 2009 07:19PM

Ebhak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, if someone buys my brand new omega 8006 I'm
> still considering buying this one as my main
> purpose is juicing.
The Omega 8006 is a good juicer. I have a similar model
(8003) that I use for juicing Carrots along with Celery. I have to
cut the carrots up, but that's no big deal. What is it you don't
like about your 8006??....WY

Date: August 09, 2009 11:18AM

perhaps you can enlighten me on your carrot cutting procedure.
I use a wide, heavy knife, halfway between a cleaver and your standard blade.
I slam it down halfway between the carrot, then it sticks and I slam it against the board.

I have to wear hearing protection due to my acoustical injury that I'm healing, don't get me started on my health. I whear shooting muffs to cut my carrots.

celery is easy.

Greens a little bit more work. I'm not sure how much yield I'm supposed to get from wheatgrass in the 8006. Figure I should grow it, just like a palatable non-toxic kind of sprout/micro green when I decide on that.

well I haven't watched my friends who room do carrots, but the chute is a bigger Crescent, which would allow for less cutting of the carrots if any.

This last 25 pound bag with all skinny carrots, which saves me time.
Also I seem to have carpal tunnel or some nerve issues in my wrists, so I am dictating this. That has happened once before but it went away. Think I need more sleep and less computer.

So basically I just figured, for juicing greens, and carrots, that it would be faster. Mainly the carrots, which I'm not even sure how long-term I will do, at least straight. I really need to do more research on some of the specifics, just like many areas....

I like the 8006 don't get me wrong, and I like the ability to homogenize in case I use that to make some sort of recipe, dressing, etc.. I see myself moving more and more towards the simple approach as I can, but blending in juicing especially for my digestion at this state, seems to be a good idea. I also own a vitamix.

I find the Omega much easier to clean than the green star, and it appears to pull things more to, requiring less force than the green star. The green star would get certain things a little drier, it's really hard to tell tho, because nothing comes out when I squeeze it with the Omega, maybe a couple drops, it's really hard.

I can't say if I will juice greens the rest of my life, nor would I say here, but I was envisioning foraging greens, eating some, and juicing some. at the moment I don't really eat any mostly, just juice. I am thinking of incorporating them blended, as I've done it before without problem...(healing U.colitis too) I figured it might be a little quicker and easier in the vertical due to the larger chute.
This is not necessarily the case. Some of them humongous carrots would have to be cut up anyways, but into halves instead of quarters.

How long do you run your 8006? mine gets pretty warm after doing celery, and carrots, sometimes greens to. Would you do wheatgrass first? do celery and then wheatgrass? then followed up with more celery? I know you have a dedicated one, I don't. Also, do you let something finish up or just continually feed? I know you blend your greens, but this is the main one I'm asking about.

what's your advice on this matter? John claims you get a bit extra yields with the vertical, and it has the screen cleaner, and you can pour water through ( does that work with the 8006 too?). the carrots just looked really easy... and I imagine just dumping greens down that thing.

Okay that's enough for now, 7 AM juicer round up.

Date: August 09, 2009 12:55PM

Ebhak Wrote:
> perhaps you can enlighten me on your carrot
> cutting procedure.
> I use a wide, heavy knife, halfway between a
> cleaver and your standard blade.
Rule #1 is Juicing should be a pleasant experience.
I use a Wusthof Classic 8" Cook's Knife for cutting Carrots.
[www.wusthof.com]
It's made in Germany. I've tried a lot of knives, but this is the
one I like best.
When I'm juicing a lot (1 pound or more) of Carrots, I just cut
the ends and use my Centrifugal juicer. When juicing a few carrots
along with Celery, I cut the carrots into small chunks and use my
Omega 8003. (Scrubbing the carrots first goes without saying)....WY

Date: August 09, 2009 01:29PM

that looks VERY of similar to the knife that I use. down to the markings on the bottom and all.

I have juiced up to 4 pounds or maybe five or six, depending on if it's just me or not. probably better to drink smaller amounts more slowly, I have had some huge glasses. we have a centrifugal here but I just use the Omega. I have cut 6 pounds in 10 minutes or less. I cut it into vertical slivers, as horizontal doesn't seem to do much, for getting through that little hole that is...
It does take quite some time however. I notice that the centrifugal gets a lot of pulp in the carrot juice, and can't do several pounds.

If you are consuming only carrot juice for that meal, how much would you do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 01:30PM by Ebhak.

Date: August 09, 2009 02:03PM

Ebhak Wrote:
> ....... I notice
> that the centrifugal gets a lot of pulp in the
> carrot juice, and can't do several pounds.
I have an Omega 4000, and don't have that problem.
I strain the juice three times (using a medium strainer as it comes
out of the juicer, and a finer strainer when pouring it into
my drinking glass), and don't get very much pulp. I do get Foam,
but it's not a problem. I simply 'skim' it off as the final (or third)
straining.

> If you are consuming only carrot juice for that
> meal, how much would you do?
2 1/2 pounds (half of a 5-lb. bag)...yielding about
20 ounces of juice (sometimes less).....remembering it's pulp-free
Juice. The yield would be higher if I didn't strain the juice so much.

Date: September 02, 2009 06:01PM

Hello to all,
Does anyone here actually own or has used the Hurom/Vert?
It looks really impressive, and the videos on youtube are rather convincing.
1. I've heard about clogging issues (primarily with carrots) but maybe that's because they didn't chop the vegetables small enough and/or were feeding too many (which happened in one of the videos).
2. My second concern is about pulpiness. I hate pulp in my juice. Does this machine make pulpy juice or is it nice and clear? and how do the pulp levels compare with soft and hard stuff

the squeaky sound seems to be with wheat-grass, so maybe it's a natural sound from the fibers being ripped apart. The vegetables looked like they were making more of a crunchy sound. Either way, it doesn't bother me as long as it works.

also, it looks like it handles soy beans for making soy milk/juice. Can the omega 8006 also do this?
Thanks,
Daniel
djg0825@gmail.com

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 12, 2009 02:41AM

Yeah, I'm also on the fence about the Hurom. The videos - by more than just the manufacturer - are VERY convincing.........

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 16, 2009 04:12PM

I just got mine!
It's amazing.
highly recommend
-Daniel

Date: October 17, 2009 01:51AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Ebhak Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > perhaps you can enlighten me on your carrot
> > cutting procedure.
> > I use a wide, heavy knife, halfway between a
> > cleaver and your standard blade.
> Rule #1 is Juicing should be a pleasant
> experience.
> I use a Wusthof Classic 8" Cook's Knife for
> cutting Carrots.
> [www.wusthof.com]
> =98
> It's made in Germany. I've tried a lot of knives,
> but this is the
> one I like best.
> When I'm juicing a lot (1 pound or more) of
> Carrots, I just cut
> the ends and use my Centrifugal juicer. When
> juicing a few carrots
> along with Celery, I cut the carrots into small
> chunks and use my
> Omega 8003. (Scrubbing the carrots first goes
> without saying)....WY

WY, how do you like your Wustof knives? I've been on the hunt for the best cutting knives, especially with my severe carpal tunnel, but don't know which one(s) to invest in. I hear so many suggestions from so many different people, but I do remember hearing some girls at work talking about the Wustof knives. Do you have to sharpen them often?

I'm also curious about the ceramic knives because of the less cell damage to produce. Or is that just a bunch of hype? I notice that it looks like John uses the ceramic knife alot in his videos unless that's just the light shining on it to make it look lighter.

Thanks for any knife suggestions.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 17, 2009 05:48AM

PD....I love my Wusthof Classic knives. I've never had to
sharpen one as yet. I've tried many different knives, even Ceramic,
and Wusthof beats them all.
As for the Omega VERT VRT330 Juicer, I've changed my mind from my
original post here, and am going to buy one from John at
DiscountJuicers.com. Enter TENSPOT in coupon code and get an extra
$10 off. John Kohler is so excited about this juicer that I just
have to try one.....WY

Date: October 17, 2009 10:44AM

Thanks for the Wustof vote. That will be on my Christmas list. winking smiley

I'm also with you on the Omega VRT. I'm definitely going to order from John in the coming few weeks, soon as I can organize the pennies for it. I figure if JOHN votes for it, it's GOTTA be good. Did you see it juice CHERRIES WITH PITS ??!! That blew me away!! I don't think I would do that regularly, because it's bound to break something, but it was definitely a good demonstration. I think I might still keep my Green Star for now (next model down from the Elite) because I still like it, but I think the Omega will save me SO much more time in the mornings before work. Keep us posted when you get your's. I can't wait!!

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 17, 2009 02:21PM

plainlydressed Wrote:
> I'm also with you on the Omega VRT.....
> .....I figure if JOHN votes for it, it's GOTTA be
> good.
Remember that John is in business to sell juicers. That
being said, I ordered an Omega VRT330 from him last night. It was
$339 using the $10 discount....a mighty high price for such a small
juicer with only a 150 watt motor, but I have to try it.
When I get it, I'll compare it to my other juicers and post the
results at this juicing Forum under a new Topic.....WY
P.S. Yes, I did see the video with John juicing Cherries with pits.
It was awesome...and he was acting like a little boy with a new toy.

Date: October 17, 2009 04:38PM

I understand he is a salesman, but it's hard to argue with real-time video demonstrations, regardless of his own personal opinions (which I find to be reasonably honest and sincere). Video dems are what sold it for me. I'm so anxious to read your review on the product after you get it. HURRY UP POSTMAN !!! *LOL*

—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables