Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

does anyone use chia seeds in their smoothies
Posted by: tealady ()
Date: July 18, 2009 12:41PM

Hi, we recently purchased some chia seeds and I am not sure what to do with them :-) From what little I know about them it seems we can use them the same way as flax seeds but I am not sure. Does anyone use them in their green smoothies?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does anyone use chia seeds in their smoothies
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 18, 2009 06:08PM

tealady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......I am not sure what to do with them :-)
I wouldn't use them unless sprouting them
first, and that becomes a lot of work. I use pre-washed
organic Greens in my smoothies.....much easier....WY
P.S. Protein and Fat are grossly overrated.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: July 19, 2009 06:16AM

yogi take a walk on the wild side and eat the chia seeds. They seem to extend the energy of the foods you eat. I have noticed the chia seeds absorb and disperse the foods throughout the day so if, for example, I have some grapefruit juice and a teaspoon of chia seeds I don't get that sugar rush from the juice. I love the little seeds but forget about them. I started to make more simple smoothies because I was getting gassey from to many additives I am finding the best smoothie is made from the most healthy and fresh greens and fruit, yum,

Posted by: Mry_PL ()
Date: July 19, 2009 08:29AM

I drink chia seeds with water. I have a 1L glass bottle with a lid,I fill it up with water and I put one tablespoon of chia seeds into it and stir it properly.
Leave it overnight in the fridge and drink it during a day. They very good for you and taste nice too smiling smiley Cheers, Peter

Posted by: tealady ()
Date: July 19, 2009 01:11PM

Thanks for some ideas, I never thought of just drinking them with plain water. They are sticky little critters. The other day I accidently spilled some on the counter and I am still trying to get them up :-)

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 19, 2009 07:13PM

I LOVE using them in my smoothies, but learned the hard way to soak them in water FIRST !! I'll dump a couple tablespoons into a cup and then fill the cup with water. If I dump them straight into my smoothie, they absorb all the liquid and make it really thick and gloopy (is that a word? *LOL*). I soak them while preparing all my other smoothie ingredients and then dump the whole cup - water and seeds together - into the blender to finish the smoothie. That way they are already plumped with water and won't steal it from my meal !! =)

I've noticed that the literature is definitely correct about how they help to maintain a feeling of fullness to curb the hungries between meals. I feel incredibly FULL after my smoothies with the seeds every morning and afternoon for lunch. NO hungries in between. No need to snack at fruit or nuts or veggies. It definitely works for me. I eat less quantity, stay very full and satisfied, and also have VERY healthy bowels as well. *grin*

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: July 19, 2009 11:43PM

definitely a winner!

jj

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 10, 2009 05:39PM

Is that what they use to make chia pets? !!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:52PM

yep Molli smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables