Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blendtec carafe / jar / container question
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2009 10:29PM

My Vita-Mix has given up the ghost after a decade of HARD use, and I'm considering (but only considering) purchasing a Blendtec as a replacement. I have a question about Blendtec's containers I'm hoping someone can answer.

In addition to its standard 64oz carafe (with a 3-inch blade), Blendtec offers an optional 96oz carafe (with a 4-inch blade). According to some online sources, only 15 - 20 AMP Blendtec models have enough power to run the large container. I find this a bit hard to believe. It seems that a standard 13 AMP 3 hp model Blendtec would have more than enough power to sufficiantly drive this carafe to blend/puree/liquify contents as effectively as a 64oz carafe. Has anyone tried using the 96oz carafe with a 13 AMP 3 hp Blendtec? If so, I'd very much like to hear any comments about it.

This is sort of a Vita-Mix/Blendtec deal breaker for me: I've frequently wanted a larger than 64oz (and BPA-free) container for my Vita-Mix, but if I had to pay the extra Blendtec cost for a 15-20 AMP model to use such a container I'll probably not go that route.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blendtec carafe / jar / container question
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 01, 2009 10:50PM

"OOGAH...OOGAH...OOGAH"....(submarine dive sound).
We've been hit by another Troll.....WY

Date: August 01, 2009 11:35PM

You'll have to explain that one to me, Wheatgrass Yogi. What exactly does "hit by another Troll" mean in relation to my question???

Date: August 01, 2009 11:52PM

carbon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..... What exactly does "hit by another Troll"
> mean in relation to my question???
Well, if you don't know, then I'm wrong....sorry.
Good luck on finding an answer to your question. I'm not sure
the large, 96-ounce carafe will even fit the 13-Amp Blendtec
base. So, I'll yield to someone more knowledgeable. I would
certainly think a full 96-oz. carafe would need more power than
the 13-Amp Blendtec provides......WY

Date: August 02, 2009 12:13AM

So far as I know the 15-20 AMP Blendtec's come standard with the same 64oz jars that are used on the 13 AMP models, so I'm fairly certain the 96oz jar should fit the 13 AMP model. I have come across 82oz containers that fit the Vita-Mix, but they're only available in polycarbonate.

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: August 02, 2009 04:13PM

I am also pretty sure the 96oz jar would fit the 13 AMP model

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Date: August 02, 2009 11:07PM

I've searched the internet trying to find an answer to the 96oz/13 AMP blender question. Nothing definitive. Maybe Blendtec needs to make one of their "Will It Blend?" videos featuring a 13 AMP blender paired with the 96oz container. Then we'll find out.

I did come across a YouTube video featuring someone talking about the 96oz container, and he does mention that it fits on the smaller Blendtec residential blender, so we at least have an answer to that question. But he also repeats the standard claim that the lower amperage blender's "just don't have the power to drive it for that long." This is at 6:05 into the video at [www.youtube.com] After so many years of blasting through anything in my 11.5 AMP Vita-MIx, I have a hard time regarding a 13 AMP blender as qualifying as low amp! And the 96oz Blendtec container surely features the same bearings as the smaller container -- I just can't imagine the 13 AMP model being overwhelmed with it and its contents, 4-inch blade or not.

So, how confusing are the online opinions about all this? Amazon.com sells the 96oz container and proclaims "THIS CARAFE WILL NOT WORK WITH THE SMALLER BLENDER MODELS" (capitalization theirs!) Rawguru.com sells only the 13 AMP Blendtec's; but they also sell the 96oz containers! 3blenders.com sells the 96oz container with the caveat: "Only the 20 AMP 3.5 hp ICB-7 Blendtec Smoother Blender has enough power to run this large power container." jlhufford.com sells the 96oz container with the advisory: "The Blendtec 96 Ounce J2 Jar with 4 inch blade is for use on your 15, 18, or 20 Amp Blendtec Commercial Blender." So I'm not particularly surprised that my question posted here drew a blank; no one -- including those selling this stuff -- really knows the answer!

If I decide to go with the 13 AMP Blendtec, maybe I'll take a chance and purchase the 96oz container, then we can settle this once and for all. My guess is that the 13 AMP model will work fine with the larger container.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 03, 2009 01:24AM

Maybe a phone call to Blendtec for an answer to the question?

Date: August 03, 2009 10:31PM

I assumed that by calling Blendtec I was just going to get the standard line about having to purchase the more expensive blenders if you want to run a 96oz container. But I did call...and got a big surprise. First off I was able to determine that both the 64oz and 96oz containers use the same size bearings. I'm not certain, but from video shots I've seen showing the inside of Blendtec containers it looks like they might use standard 608Z bearings -- the same bearings I replaced more times than I recall on my Vita-Mix container during its 10-year run (much cheaper than replacing the blade). And, yep, they're the same bearings used in skateboards, which is why I always found it amusing when I went to a local sports shop to buy new bearings for my blender container!

Anyway, back to the surprise. The Blendtec tech person I spoke with informed me that the 96oz container has always been available in two blade sizes: a 4-inch blade for high-powered units, and a 3-inch blade for the lower-powered units (read: 13 AMP -- which is not low!) Nowhere have I come across anything online mentioning this! Every 96oz container I've come across that lists blade size specifies that they're 4-inch. Considering that the 13-AMP Blendtec's are the most popular models, it's an odd choice indeed for retailers to only stock the larger container intended for the higher-powered units.

So now the search is on for a 96oz BPA-free Blendtec container with a 3-inch blade. I could get this directly through Blendtec, but I want to price it below retail cost. The Blendtec person I spoke with was not able to provide me with any distributors selling this model, so if anyone spots one please pass along the info. If I can't find one I'll probably go with the Vita-Mix.

Date: August 03, 2009 11:29PM

carbon Wrote:
> ........the same bearings I
> replaced more times than I recall on my Vita-Mix
> container during its 10-year run (much cheaper
> than replacing the blade).
You must work the Hell out of your blenders!!
Are you sure you're not a candidate for a 20 AMP machine?
Good Luck in your search for a 96oz BPA-free
Blendtec container with a 3-inch blade. I had no
idea they made such an animal....WY

Date: August 04, 2009 06:30AM

Here are a couple of places that sell the 96-ounce
container with a 3-inch blade. There's mention in many other
online places that the new 64-ounce carafe is BPA-free, but I can't
find any mention that the 96-ounce is.
My best instinct tells me to stay away from this. If you need
a 96-ounce container (you must blend for a small Army), get the
one with a 4-inch blade and buy either the 15 or 18 or 20-Amp
Blendtec base to power it.....WY

[comparisonsearches.com]

Date: August 04, 2009 02:50PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> You must work the Hell out of your blenders!!

It was my fondness for golf ball and rake handle smoothies that no doubt took its toll on the bearings.

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Here are a couple of places that sell the 96-ounce container with a 3-inch blade...

Thank you, WY. You're right they don't mention if any of these are the BPA-free version, but I'll e-mail them and a few other places and see what I can find out. I appreciate you digging these up. I've already e-mailed rawguru.com, but I honestly don't expect an answer from them if past experience with that company is any indication. One of the 96oz carafe's with a 4-inch blade sold at Amazon is BPA-free so I'm assuming a 3-inch bladed version made of Tritan must be available as well.

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> get the one with a 4-inch blade and buy either the 15 or 18 or 20-Amp Blendtec base to power it...

I'm not that wealthy. The 15, 18 & 20 AMP blenders are just too darn expensive for me to justify -- even the cheaper models are going to set me back plenty. I also don't like the idea of a blender that's limited for use on a dedicated circuit. I'll throw a net over one of the 96oz containers eventually. Until then my antique Oster Beehive will have to suffice, if I can get used to the smoke billowing out of it.

"In all of God's earth, there is no greater bond than that between a man and his blender."

Date: August 04, 2009 03:26PM

carbon Wrote:
> "In all of God's earth, there is no greater bond
> than that between a man and his blender."
Amen!! If you told me I had to live without my
Vita-Prep 3, I'd be pretty POed. I sometimes use it 3 times
in a day.
I hope your Beehive holds up until you can make a firm
decision (with action) about the Blendtec.....WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 04, 2009 05:36PM

"It was my fondness for golf ball and rake handle smoothies that no doubt took its toll on the bearings. "

lol, those Blendtec vids are something else! I wonder how many toxins that guy has inhaled from blending all that stuff???

Date: August 08, 2009 06:51AM

I sell Blendtecs. You do not want to use the 96oz carafe with a 4" blade with the HP3A (13amp, 1500w, 29000rpm, 3hp). They do make a 96oz carafe with a 3" blade for the HP3A. Do not order the 4" blade for the HP3A.

Date: August 12, 2009 06:46PM

I just ordered the 96oz carafe with 4" blade from Blendtec.com ten minutes ago!
I should've done more research.

But if the bearings and everything fits, then how come the 4" blade doesn't work with HP3A?

Another question, what's the difference between using a 4" blade in comparison with 3" blade? More torque? Faster?

Date: August 12, 2009 07:05PM

--------------------------- UPDATES -----------------------------

I went to Blendtec's website and found that they are promoting new 3qts jar with 4" blade under Total Blender (older model but identical with HP3A).

I will post compatibility after I received the jar!

Blendtec Replied!!
Date: August 14, 2009 06:18PM

Great NEWS!!!!!!
I E-mailed and called Blendtec about the problem that we were discussing here.
This is how they replie:

Andy,

The jar you just purchased 96oz jar with 4 inch blande is a brand new
jar that is redesigned to be used with your machine. It will work and
will not harm your machine. The blade is redesigned it is a finely tuned
blade now and is perfectly safe for use with your machine. Thank you and
have a great day!!!

Blendtec Customer Service
1206 South 1680 West
Orem, UT 84058
(801) 222-0888
(800) 748-5400
Fax: (801) 802-8584
www.blendtec.com

Date: November 05, 2009 03:01AM

from the blendtec website:

[www.blendtec.com]

Now approved for home use on all 13 AMP Blendtec residential blenders!
Large capacity three-quart BPA-free jar with 4” blade and easy-open vented gripper lid

Features include all the unique Blendtec advantages:
Patented 5-sided jar produces a better blending vortex
Single-prong tuned wingtip blade
Easy-to-read jar markings up to 44 ounces (with a total volume of nearly 3 quarts)
Shorter and half the weight of other jars with comparable volume
Durable BPA-free material will stand up to heavy use
Ergonomic design allows for easy 3-way pouring
Easy-open gripper lid allows ingredients to be added through center opening and vents pressure when blending hot liquids

The unique Blendtec advantages combine to produce a better blending vortex to micronize fruits and vegetables and make their nutrients more bio-available to the body.

3-year warranty on jar.

HOME USE ONLY-COMMERCIAL USE WILL VOID WARRANTY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables