Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New Vita-Prep 3 Runs unevenly at low speed - is this normal??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2009 12:15PM

Hi

Can anyone please help / advise?

After much research I ordered a Vita-Prep 3. When it arrived, I carefully unpacked it. When I switched the machine on, running on the Variable, slowest speed, the machine (with or without the container) runs unevenly - almost intermittently - and you can hear a sort of electrical arcing / clicking inside. It also smells slightly "electrical" as it is running.

I telephoned the on-line retailer who I purchased it from - they have been VERY helpful. They arranged for a new unit to be delivered. I received this unit this morning however it performs in exactly the same way. At the lowest speed it runs unevenly also.

I took a video of the machine and emailed a link to the retailer - you can see it here:

[www.yousendit.com]

I emailed the retailer again this morning and they said that the original unit I sent back was returned for testing. Apparently the feedback they received was that this unevenness is quite normal - this is what they received back form the repairer, "yes it sounds like there is an arching sound when the motor is running very slowly, this is in fact fairly normal on these machines, when the speed is built up that noise stops."

Is this normal?? Does anyone else have one of these machines and is it the same as the two I've been sent?

I have been given the option of a refund if I return the machine unused. I'm just concerned at using it as I've spent nearly £600 on a blender and it doesn't seem quite right to me, however perhaps this is they way they are supposed to be?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks,

Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 12:17PM by timc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Vita-Prep 3 Runs unevenly at low speed - is this normal??
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 03, 2009 03:27PM

timc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone please help / advise?
I watched (a couple of times) the 51-second video clip
of your Vita-Prep 3 with the arcing problem as you stated. It is not
Normal to the extent you are experiencing. I own two Vita-Prep 3 blenders
(see picture), one I use daily, and the other serves as a backup, which
I dug out of storage when I read your post. I tested both my blenders at
low speeds (under 5 on the dial of 10) and was a bit surprised that neither
one ran 'perfectly' smooth, but neither one 'arced' or 'clicked' like yours.
I guess my advice would be to keep working with the Dealer until you get one
you can live with.
I am very pleased with mine and wouldn't use anything else.....WY

[img.photobucket.com]

Date: August 03, 2009 03:50PM

Hi WY

Many thanks for your message and for taking the time to look at both your blenders. The dilemma I have is that I'm itching to use it (I gave my old blender away before this one arrived) however the retailer has offered me a refund only if I don't use it.

So I guess my options are to use it and put up with it (in the hope it doesn't have a shortened lifespan) or to return it and purchase another / alternative from elsewhere. It's rather disappointing for such a high value item that's promoted as such a well made product. Having received two units with sequential serial numbers that perform the same I'm not sure that a third would be any different.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who owns one and has any experience of this / advice. I've tried calling VitaMix in the UK however the call gets diverted to the US and I've not been able to get through to anyone yet.

- tim

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 03, 2009 05:20PM

WY & timc,

I do not (yet) own a Vita-Mix/Vita-Prep, but being a mechanic/electronics man, I would like to weigh in on this;

WY, what are the ages of your machines? It could be that they made a design change since you purchased yours.

The newer one may posses a relay or solenoid that will cause that arching/clicking sound. These electrical gadgets are designed to handy heavy current draw to protect lighter gauge wiring/electronics.

I see their use in other electrical equipment, & they do produce a similar sound as you describe. After a bit of use, they seem to quiet just a bit, and the electrical smell should go away as well.

I can't tell if this is the case or not here with yours. I did view the video, & I really can't get a good feel for the sound as it is being picked up from the camera.

I am just venturing an educated guess here; I am not completely sure in this instance, however. If Vita-Mix tech could give me a similar explanation as I have, I would probably be contented with it. On the other hand, if it would be a true malfunction of the unit, I would possibly be concerned with a fire hazard.

In any case, from what I hear Vita-Mix is an excellent company with an excellent track record, & I believe I would be inclined to accept their explanation. They certainly would not want the liability of a defective machine on their hands in case something went very wrong with it in a customers' home.

Just my .02 winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 05:21PM by juicerkatz.

Date: August 04, 2009 10:01PM

Hi

Thank-you all for your replies. I thought I'd post an update to let you know how I've got along smiling smiley

I telephoned the VitaMix support line again on the way home from work and was reassured by a support technician that the uneven running between 1-3 on the variable dial was normal and acceptable. Interestingly, I had to go through to the "commercial" support section as the VitaPrep 3 is classed as a commercial machine rather than a domestic appliance.

Following my post here, I also posted a message on vita-village - the community Vitamix web site. When I arrived home I was pleased to read a detailed reply to my query from the Commercial Manager at VitaMix. As per my telephone conversation they confirmed that the unit was operating correctly and that the electrical smell was normal for a new unit. "The “uneven” or pulsing of the motor that you are seeing and hearing at low speed is truly a normal occurrence." I can confirm that the electrical smell has also now subsided when in use!

If you're interested, you may read their full response here: [bit.ly] or by following the Message Board link on their site [community.vitamix.com]

I used the unit twice last night, this morning and again twice tonight - I'm pleased to say it's very quick to use and clean, which is great. It is a tad noisy on high speed - however - apart from this so far so good!

Many thanks again for reading and responding to me on here.

Tim

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 04, 2009 11:39PM

Timc....I'm glad your story had a happy ending. It was
interesting for me to take part of the journey with you.
I hope you enjoy your Vita-Prep 3 as much as I do mine....WY

Date: August 08, 2009 07:18AM

I use my Blendtec blender almost for everything now. I've actually burnt out 2 Vita Mix motors before purchasing my Blendtec. Best kitchen purchase I've ever made.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables