Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I had no idea that buying a blender was going to cause me such angst!
Posted by: sixxmum ()
Date: August 09, 2009 04:58PM

Yikes! This is complicated (and expensive). With a family of 8 in the economy we are in, it's hard to spend $500 on a blender.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I had no idea that buying a blender was going to cause me such angst!
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 09, 2009 06:06PM

lol, I know the feeling! I don't have a family of 8, (is this Jon & Kate"...Oh right, that's no longer 8... winking smiley

At any rate, you may want to have a look at the Waring line of blenders. I'm looking at the Waring MX 1000XT on here - only $299.00.

[www.theblenderplace.com]

I know, all the rage is the Vitamix, but I just can't do that right now, no way, no how, & it will be a good long while before that kind of money is in the budget. But I can scrape together $299.00 in a couple months time.

Plus, from the reviews I have read, it looks to be on par with the V-MX. Did I just say that?!? :=D

Wheatgrass Yogi will have my head for that statement!!! :-D

I believe I'm gonna give it a chance. My old 500 watt blender has just about given up on me, so I need to make a decision soon. Some will caution - - The container is polycarbonate; but so was the Vitamix until just recently;

furthermore, the studies that I have read show that the bad stuff is only released if the polycarbonate is heated with food inside. The studies go on to say that food was microwaved at high temp for over 30 min. until the plastic actually melted before the "pc" was detected.

I plan on making only cold smoothies, so this is not a concern of mine. I've been researching this for a couple of months now...If I had the $500 to spare, would I go for the "Cadillac"?

Maybe, maybe not. I am not really completely & totally convinced that the VM is superior. Bear in mind I have not seen he Waring in person, however. If I do receive it & it has the appearance of a piece of junk. I will promptly return it & most likely purchase an Oster Beehive (one of the more powerful models) just to get me by.

I am going solely based on the reveiwes that I have seen, online research. There are youtube demos as well;

[www.youtube.com]

This is one of their digital models, I am going for the "toggle switch" model. Let us know what you decide upon; I am getting ready to make my purchase soon - in a couple of weeks. When I do, I will post a review of it.

Hope this was helpful to you. smiling smiley

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 09, 2009 06:16PM

buy a cheap one at walmart for $50. blenders are totally overated and besides that they introduce an incredible amount of destructive oxidation into the mix. someday the truth will surface regarding blender oxidation. the spinning votex that you see in the middle of a blender in action is mixing incredible amount of air into the delicate matrix of raw plant juices. just my opinion though.

do an experiment and put some water with a small amount of detergent into the blender and turn it on for a couple of seconds and see how much air gets mixed in.

better yet go the thrift store and by a used one for $10...lotta garage sales these days too.

jj

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 09, 2009 09:58PM

Granted I've only been eating raw for 7 days now, but I haven't used my blender once! I juice .. boy do I juice LOL and then I eat whole raw fruit. I'm not sure I would really need an expensive blender. Maybe eventually I'll change my mind.

Posted by: rawbryan ()
Date: August 09, 2009 10:20PM

You can get a Blendtec from my website for $350, it is the best blender in the world and they have a new model, and video of it blending a iPhone in slow motion. This is the best price and deal anywhere: [www.Rawinten.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 09, 2009 11:26PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus, from the reviews I have read, it looks to be
> on par with the V-MX. Did I just say that?!? :=D
>
> Wheatgrass Yogi will have my head for that
> statement!!! :-D
LOL. Let us know how you like your Waring when
you get it. The motor base is 'rock solid', with plenty of
power. However, I think the Waring carafe is inferior to the
Vita-Mix carafe. It felt 'cheap' to me....WY

Date: August 10, 2009 12:15AM

I considered the Blendtec for a while, but I just don't like the idea of the microprocessor electronics/touch pad gadgetry. Once that fancy stuff goes, say hello to high dollar replacement parts...

Give me Vitamix push button/toggle switches any day, lol! The cheapest Waring has the V-mix type switches...

Posted by: sixxmum ()
Date: August 10, 2009 08:00PM

I don't have a juicer either, and a blender is a little more functional for my family, as I'm the only raw foodist in the house. Thanks for the info!

Date: August 10, 2009 08:45PM

sixxmum - let us know what you decide to go with!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:45AM

The cell phone in the blender video. Uh huh. I'd like to see someone drink that cell phone. What is the point? My garbage disposal will blend a cell phone. Why not just drive over the cell phone or apple or whatever you want mushed up and save $350?

Seriously, I own a Blendtec and am happy with it. But I don't drink cell phones.

John's got a good point there. I drink my smoothie's right after making them but if you don't, with a powerful blender you have busted the cell walls and mixed them up with lots of air.

Buy the best you can afford and if it burns out then save up for a better one.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: April 13, 2010 06:32PM

I have been quite satisfied with my Waring blender for about two years now.

flash

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:01PM

sixxmum-

congrats on going raw with such a crew!

i had the juicer first b/c it has so many purposes, and was raw for 5 years before getting a blender (still no food processor or spice grinder in the house- i do have two mortar and pestles)

my husband is totally into all the raw now, and when i'm juicing or blending for the kids (at least 2x a day), he whispers so sweetly in my ear "Vitamix"- but we don't have the finances.

we have an old Oesterizer (sic) blender, since the bases are easy to come by, and the tops as well, and just use that for everything. if i burn it out (grinding my soaked grains, daily) then i haven't lost anything, cause i can find another base at a thrift store, in someone's basement, etc. actually, we have two bases b/c i make so much in them.

*he whispers 'Vitamix' again...*

lol. blessings on your search and let us know what you end up with!

peace-

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 05, 2010 01:49AM

I think there is some cheating going on with those will it blend videos. They don't show the whole blending process in one piece when they blend big items like an iPad.

They show the beginning of blending and then they show the end. I would maybe trust them if not for the fact that they once got caught faking in the video with neodymium magnets.

and even if it does blend an iPad that doesn't really mean anything. now if they could show it blend an ipad every day for breakfast lunch and dinner for 10 years then i would probably be convinced that its good at blending iPads. still wouldn't be convinced that its good at blending smoothies.

and i am equally disappointed in vitamix marketing - why should i care that it can make hot soup ? like i don't have ways of heating up liquid without a blender.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 05, 2010 02:08AM

HA HA neurosport
u gotta good point
made me laugh toosmiling smiley

yep, not sure what the point of blending iphones are

but anything that gets a good laugh is
alright by me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables