Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Effectiveness of Juicer
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 09, 2009 09:59PM

Hi All,

I just bought a Breville juicer. I am new to juicing. Can some explain how I can measure the effectivness of my juicer?

Thanks for your help!
KK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effectiveness of Juicer
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 10, 2009 12:10AM

kelly.....

hi if you can send it back it would be best.

but if you are stuck with it...go ahead and use it since it is definitely better than no juicer at all.

it is in the classification of centriful pulp ejecting juicers which waste alot of juice in the pulp, limits your ability to juice a wide variety, and worst of all it oxidizes the juice.

if you drink it immediately after juicing ...you can offset most of the oxidation "downside".

but at least you are juicing and that is very good since juicing is the most powerful health building modality we have.

good luck and enjoy good health with juicing.

juicin' john

Posted by: deenis ()
Date: August 10, 2009 11:57PM

I have a Breville. I used to have a juicer that was the auger type but I got rid of it. I also had a Norwalk. I got rid of that also. I have found that the Breville is best for me. I find it is very very quick to make juice. I also find that it is very quick and easy to clean.
I wish I had known what my preferences were in advance as this would have saved me alot of expense trying the various juicers. I don't juice greens. I put them into my blender every morning. I also make salads. The ease of juicing keeps me motivated to make more juice. If I could not use my Breville I might make excuses not to juice.

If you want to make green juice (but not a green smoothie) then consider another juicer.

Just my opinion. Have a healthy day.....deenis

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2009 12:28AM

Hi Deenis,

You mentioned that you do not juice greens but put them into blender. Are you mixing the veggies from the blender with juice you make using breville juicer? If so can you please share your recipe. Thanks!

Posted by: deenis ()
Date: August 19, 2009 01:16AM

Hi Kellykim23.

No, I make carrot & apple juice and drink that mixture separately.

I use a Blendtec to make green smoothies every morning. In my morning smoothie I put 1 cup of uncooked oats, 1 handful of spinach, 2 cups of soymilk, 1/4 cup wheatgerm, soy yogurt, 1 tsp. flaxseed oil, a slice of cantelope (with seeds), and two bananas. I am a mailman and need lots of energy to kick off the day.

Have a healthy day.....deenis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 01:17AM by deenis.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 19, 2009 02:52PM

kellykim23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a Breville juicer. I am new to
> juicing. Can some explain how I can measure the
> effectivness of my juicer?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> KK

The only thing I can think of to measure the effectiveness is to weigh what you are juicing before and then weigh the juice. Then do the same thing with other juicers, but you'll need to juice the same stuff.

Posted by: jonl138 ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:42AM

I once weighed/measured two separate pounds of carrots. I took the first pound and juiced it through the omega 8005 single auger juicer. I then took the second pound and juiced it through the juiceman pro centriful juicer and was somewhat surprised to see that there was no real noticeable difference in the amount of juice produced by each juicer. Had I juiced greens there would have been no question that more juice was produced with the omega. I will say this, there was definately a difference in taste. The omega juice had a strong distinct taste of carrots, as it should. The juiceman pro did not. I have since gotten rid of those two juicers and have owned a greenstar for a few years. I have a love/hate relationship with my juicer. I love the juice it produces but hate how time consuming it is, I often contemplate purchasing the breville juice fountain elite.
-my spelling apologies, sent from phone

-Jon

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:57AM

kellykim23 Wrote:
> I just bought a Breville juicer. I am new to
> juicing. Can some explain how I can measure the
> effectivness of my juicer?
1. How dry is the pulp?
2. How does the juice taste?
3. Is the juicer easy to use and clean?
4. How much juice is produced?
5. How do you feel after each juicing experience?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 29, 2009 11:38AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> kellykim23 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I just bought a Breville juicer. I am new to
> > juicing. Can some explain how I can measure the
> > effectivness of my juicer?
> 1. How dry is the pulp?
> 2. How does the juice taste?
> 3. Is the juicer easy to use and clean?
> 4. How much juice is produced?
> 5. How do you feel after each juicing experience?

+1 - WY

Simple & straight to the point(s). I like it. I am seeing that there is no one "perfect" juicer, or blender for that matter. It is simply what works out best t for you...

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:15PM

I definitely vote for the twin-gear auger juicers. I wasted ALOT of wet, juicy pulp with my centrifugal juicer. And it definitely does not juice greens, which is important for my juicing process. So I won't be much help here. =( I'm with Juicin John on this one - SEND IT BACK. But if it's what works for you, just make sure you don't juice greens, and be sure to drink the juice right away because the cells will be damaged and will die alot faster.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: September 02, 2009 01:11PM

Lately I have not found the time to make juice in the am prior to leaving for work. I'm wondering which would be better?
1. Juice in the evening with my greenstar and store it in an air tight container in the fridge for morning

or

1. Juice in th morning using a centrifugal type juicer and drink it right away."

Date: September 02, 2009 03:11PM

either way should work for you.

jj

Date: September 02, 2009 03:24PM

I'm curious about the loss of enzymes from storing it overnight vs the loss using a centrifugal juicer. I know GS claims you can store your juice for a short period with minimal loss of nutrients but I am a bit skeptical

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 02, 2009 05:50PM

jonl138 Wrote:
> ...........I'm wondering which would be better?

> 1. Juice in the evening with my greenstar and
> store it in an air tight container in the fridge
> for morning
> or
> 2. Juice in the morning using a centrifugal type
> juicer and drink it right away."
Rushing around juicing, drinking the juice,
then cleaning up before going to work in the morning, is
not the way to go...it'd be too much Stress for me.
I'd suggest you make the juice the night before on workdays,
and juice in the morning on the days you don't work.....WY

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 15, 2009 09:11AM

jonl138 Wrote:
> Lately I have not found the time to make juice in
> the am prior to leaving for work. I'm wondering
> which would be better?
> 1. Juice in the evening with my greenstar and
> store it in an air tight container in the fridge
> for morning
>
> or
>
> 1. Juice in th morning using a centrifugal type
> juicer and drink it right away."

Fresh is optimum/ best
Get up earlier, use the greenstar, gets my vote.
If you are privileged enough to own a green star, why would you choose to use a centrifugal?
If the answer is simply time and ease of clean up maybe you need to look at that?
ffx
ffx

Date: September 15, 2009 10:05AM

my grenstar cleanup is a snap!

in fact the contrast of cleaning it compared to other machines i have used...has actually turned my psycholgical outlook on juicer clean up completely around.

that is i actually enjoy the 1,2,3...."rhtyhmic slosh slosh, bingo its clean" activity. the contrast of relative ease has shined a new light on juicer clean up for me.

here is a quick detail of my method.

1. immediately after finishing my juicing i fill a sink full of medium hot water.

2. as the water is filling into the sink..i start taking the parts off the machine one by one and clening them under the running water while it is filling the sink.

3. i also have a spray attachment on my sink and use it alot in my cleanup.
i also \spread a small dishtowell on the other sider of my sink countertop to put the juicer parts onto after cleaning each of them.

4. i have purchased a special brush found at almost anyu store which is called a vegetable cleaning brush. it resembles a donut shape whith a handle. these brushes have been around almost forever!

5. by the time the sink is full enough...there are only the twin gears, screen, pulp dicharge casing and the large "twingear housing" left to clean. here i submerge the big twingear housing into the water and use my "donut on a stick" brush to which around the various orices on this part. i use the brush whic\ch comes with the machine to clean the pulp dischare cadsin under water...using the sharp point feature to "pick out the pulp under running water.

6. i then clean the twin gears by scrubbing them under water in the sink firstly and then finishing the scrubbing under running water in a few seconds.

7. next i use my:donut on a stick" brush to scrub the fine screen under water and then finish it off as i did the twin gears under running water. (the all purpose brush which comes with the machine is very usefull also with many of these cleanup steps i have detailed here).

8. lastly i move the motor housing over to the edge of the sink and sqirt it with my sink sprayer and wipe with edge of it with a dry towel. if you dont have a sprayer on your sink sqirt bottle or spray bottle will subtitute just fine.

thats it....my best time recorded is 2 min. and 45 seocnds.

juicin' john

Date: September 15, 2009 04:38PM

Thanks for the cleanup tip Juicin John, I'll definately try out your method. Oh, and I'm going to strive to beat your timesmiling smiley

-Jon

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 20, 2009 02:37PM

any task you do can be as pleasent as you make it or as tedious as you make it smiling smiley

when im cleaning up my gear , i have the laptop in the kitchen playing an audio book or a raw food vid or something else interesting smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 07, 2009 03:40PM

try my clean up method on the greenstar.

clean up is mostly "between your ears" that being your attitude.

it is so easy and quick.... that to make it out to be a major project is totally out of proportion.

in my humble opinion..... most people are just lazy about juicer clean up.

just do it...

jj

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables