Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My Question FINALLY ANSWERED !!! =)
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:08AM

I've been in a "juicer quandry" because of the quibbles between centrifugal juicers vs. auger juicers and the supposed "heat," damage, etc. etc. etc. I purchased a Samson based on the theory that auger juicers were "the best," however I am currently following a 100 day juice challenge with a group from the Global Juice Feast website and have run into extreme difficulties because of time-constraints. It takes me 45 minutes to make my daily juice every morning before work and I simply don't have that kind of time !!! I was struggling with the option to purchase a centrifugal juicer and finally just bought a Jack LaLanne model at Target tonight. I simply cannot afford the time every day with my single auger juicer (Samson).

I was encouraged to finally read the most balanced and logical comparison between the juicer methods from this awesome website page: [www.discountjuicers.com] and I was even more thrilled to read the author's very logical and common sense approach to all the "splitting hairs" in the RIGHT juicer controversy. Comments like this won me over.....

"Does the oxidation make the nutrition less?
Yes, oxidation immediately affects the juice. Oxidation created during the juicing process will happen with all juicers. Here is a question I would ask you: Is the nutrient value of an apple that has been cut open and left out to "oxidize" for 1 hour much different than an apple that has been allowed to "oxidize" for 1.5 hours? Probably not much difference. I think many people exaggerate the "damage" done by the oxidation caused by juicers. It's like splitting hairs in my opinion."

" Do I really need to worry about oxidation and heat in my juice?
I believe manufacturers talk about oxidation and heat to influence your purchase decision. Hopefully this article will dispel some of those myths. Heat should not be a factor, since all juicers will raise the temperature of the produce being juiced. Oxidation plays a role in the quality of juice, this is true. I would recommend taking the oxidation factors "lightly". One could purchase the best juicer that produces the least oxidation, only to have it sit on the counter, and it never being used, since they didn't consider that its one of the hardest juicers to clean. I have found that if a juicer is hard to clean, it will not get used, then what is the advantage of having "the best" juicer, if its never used?"

I'm so happy and RELIEVED to finally find my answers so I can move forward in peace with my decision. =)

Happy Juicing everyone!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Question FINALLY ANSWERED !!! =)
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:08AM

plainly dressed....

the single augur plastic juicer is nothing more than a "handcrank" with a motor.

in my opinion they are simply ridiculous as an all purpose juicing machine. at best they do ok on leafy greens and thats it.

i can't quite figure out why some of the people on this site push the samson and omega and tout them in what i would consider a a decetive manner. your description of your experience with trying to use it describes exactly what i have tried to express here. thank you for your input so that others may avoid the same frustrating experience which you have expressed in your posting.

oxidation is the main destructive agent to frsh made juices. when using the fast centrifugal machines it is imperitive to drink the juice immediately because oxidation is a form of "burning or fire" and a proven destructive agent to fresh, delicate juice molecules.

as i have repeatedly announced...."the slow turning twin gear machines are the only way to go if you wish to avoid the problem of oxidation and the slowness of the single augur machines like samson and omega." in addition you can make a gallon of juice at a time with the twin gear and drink it over a period of a couple of day with very small amount of deterioration. i make a 3/4 gallon at a time and it takes about 25 min. to both juice and clean the machine. the new greenstar elite is supposed to be evan better and easier to clean than the greenstar 1000 which is what i have.

good luck with your juicing.

juicin' john

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 14, 2009 04:43AM

I have a Jack LaLanne juicer -- I bought it a couple of years ago at Costco and NEVER used it until I decided to change to a raw diet about 12 days ago. I don't think it is difficult to clean it, and it does do a good job of juicing. However, there is one thing I do notice -- every morning I make a green juice drink with a variety of items out of my refrigerator. It takes me only a couple of minutes to juice all of them (I make about 18 ounces of juice). But the juice is no longer very cold -- so my juicer is heating it up a bit. I certainly think its better than no juicer though and its easy enough to clean that I use it 2-3 times a day. For convenience sake and other reasons, I've decided to order one of those green star juicers. I think that I will drink more juice if I can juice a lot more first thing in the morning and have it to drink throughout the day.

Date: August 14, 2009 01:27PM

Thank you Juicin John. Based on your reply, I found this excellent demo on YouTube of the Greenstar - [www.youtube.com]
I also found one on the Greenstar Elite, which is not yet available to the public (I don't think??), but I can now understand the differences between the single and twin augers MUCH better. Thank you for your forebearance with my learning period. =)

I also like how the pieces connect on the Greenstar, because I have a big problem with my Samson getting loose with all the heavy use and pressure. It tends to "un-screw" itself from the main machine, no matter how tight I screw it in, and will suddenly fall apart on me, which requires me to take the whole thing apart to re-attach the pieces and I ultimately lose alot of the produce and juices that are still in the process inside the gear. It's such a pain. The Greenstar looks to have a MUCH BETTER attachment system to prevent that problem.

Thank you again for helping me learn as I go along. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:43PM

Hi John,

I was wondering what you find yourself juicing on my most days?

I bought an Omega 8006 just before I left for close to two months and a friend has been using it. She fell in love with it. I can get it back but sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. (I could sell it to my friend for what I paid for it.)

For mostly greens and wheatgrass, would you still recommend a the Greenstar? Discountjuicers recommends the Omega over the Greenstar for wheatgrass.

I too owe you a debt of gratitude (and several others here!) for your patience with me.

(Hi everyone! I'm back from my summer travels!)

THANKS!

Date: August 14, 2009 03:47PM

I broke open my new Jack LaLanne juicer this morning and whipped up a gallon of veggie juice for hubby and me. (I'm off on Fridays, so we could drink the juice immediately.) It's definitely FAST and the juice turned out fine. I whipped up a gallon in NO TIME FLAT !!!

I also found a brand new (still in box) Green Star 2000 juicer on Ebay for $325 and decided to buy it because it will be handy to make my juices for work the night before since my research (and Juicin John's awesome knowledge and advice) confirmed that juices made in auger models can last up to 48 hrs with minimal damage. I watched that excellent demo on YouTube with the guy from www.discountjuicers.com for the Green Star and was convinced.

Not sure yet if I will keep the JL juicer, but for now, it seems logical to use that one for when I am in a hurry and/or can drink the juice quickly, and use the GS for making juices the night before (which would be a HUGE time-saver for my work schedule!!). Maybe I'm FINALLY getting it all figured out?? *LOL*

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 14, 2009 04:18PM

molli...

yes you will find that a large amount of juice done in the morning will last you all day and that you will end up drinking more juice.

plainly dressed....

glad i could help you along. yes the greenstar is really the best machine we have for all purpose juicing

lee123......

i hope you are doing well. i juice alot of watermelon and canteloupe rinds (organic only) since they are really loaded with juice. also the usual carrots,beets, apples, and what ever else is available. summertime gives us a lost of quality juicable stuff and i sure enjoy taking advantage of it.

omega is good for wheatgrass but the green star does great with it as well...in fact the wheatgrass pulp with the greenstar is "bone dry". for greens..there is no better than the greenstar it. is a very powerful machine in comparison to the omega and samson.

if i were you i would sell the omega and get the new greenstar elite when it it starts shipping out.

juicin' john

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 14, 2009 04:31PM

I am so glad I checked here; thanks for starting this thread, plainlydressed : )

A friend of mine is baffled by what juicer to buy for her mother, who needs large amounts of non oxidated juices to treat a terrible health crisis. I lent her my Champion, with which I am really pleased, but she may need something more rigorously applicable. Now I know what to tell her.

Lee, how are you doing? Hope you are doing better than before and getting better still!

Date: August 14, 2009 08:24PM

Thanks, everybody. I'm ok. Not much worse... but a little bit worse. It's good to be home. Being away for close to 2 months was challenging... eating cooked here and there won't kill YOU but in my situation (with ALS) I think I have to stay on the straight and narrow.

For my needs, I'm looking to saturate my body with greens -- wheatgrass, green vegetables, leafy greens, but I can't say I would never want some apple/carrot juice or some carrot/beet juice.

I'm going to pick up my Omega from my friend tonight. She's the one who lent me her Cuisinart blender before I got the Blendtec.

Does anyone know when the Green Star Elite will be released? And, what's the difference between that and the regular line of Green Stars (1, 2, 3000)?

Date: August 14, 2009 11:09PM

hi lee

carrotand beet juice is a really good combination for just about anything...i have heard that beets are one of the strongest healing vegetable we can get....also the beet tops are just loaded with with good stuff. saturating your body with green is a good idea but you don't have to deny yourself something tlike a beet,carrot, apple with a little lemon. certainly nothing wrong with treating yourself to delicious blend of veggies!

as for the greenstar elite...i heard that it will be availble sometime after the begginning of september. it has a new streamlined look and an easy to assemble and disassemble design with bigger gears and juicing screen. there is a you tube video that shows the machine. it looks as though the clean up will also be evan easier than it already is.

not sure how big the difference between the gs a,2, and 3000 is.

jj

Date: August 15, 2009 03:06AM

Ok, you folks have pushed me over the edge... In a good way!

I just bought a Green Star 2000 but it won't be here for a while (UPS ground is only a little quicker than by mule) so I've got my Omega 8006 in the trunk of my car. I picked it up then did some major produce shopping. I'm tired from unloading and washing all the produce.

When the Green Star arrives I'll sell it or the Omega to my friend depending on which works best for the stuff I want to consume.

Why the rush and why not wait for the Elite? FEAR! If your dominant hand and arm were partially paralyzed... <sigh> I don't wish this on anyone.

I'm seeing how the "best" juicer is the one that works for your diet and your lifestyle. It all depends on what you are juicing and what your priorities are in terms of cleanup time, physical effort required, and even aesthetics for some. I don't care if my juicer is pretty. I am concerned with the other factors mentioned.

I really appreciate all the help and enthusiasm and kindness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 03:10AM by Lee_123.

Date: August 15, 2009 05:10PM

Lee - You are truly an inspiration to me (and I'm sure many others as well). You brave courage and positive spirit has been a real blessing to me. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on which juicer wins the contest. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 16, 2009 01:44AM

We are all here to help each other. Your first post in this thread made so much sense to me.

That's so great that you are a lifetime veg*n! Besides all the chemicals/drugs they pump into animals, the vibes of that stuff... I can't even think about eating that stuff any more.

I find flesh eaters operate on a completely different level than veg*ns. I'm so not there any more.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: August 16, 2009 07:41AM

Lee_123 Wrote:
---------------
>
> I find flesh eaters operate on a completely
> different level than veg*ns. I'm so not there any
> more.

I agree. I think that it helps to make the transition yourself to really appreciate the difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables