Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

US Vitamix - compatible with European voltage?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:04PM

Hi to all experienced blender-owners,
I'm considering buying a secondhand US VitaMix, but I guess the US voltage won't be compatible with European voltage (220v). Do I need a transformer, and if so, will that compromise the machine's working life?
I'd be very grateful if anyone who has experience of this could share it with me,

Porcelainie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: US Vitamix - compatible with European voltage?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 14, 2009 05:25PM

Hi porcelainie,
I used to work with pump motors including American 110 and 220 volt. The motors would come from the factory as one or the other but could be rewired on-site by an electrician if need be. 220 volts was considered more efficient. So an American 110 volt Vitamix (there are also American 220 volt models) could (possibly) be converted by rewiring internally (or by use of a converter box?) to run very well on 220 volts in Europe, in my opinion (please call Vitamix to confirm).

Have you looked around much in Europe for a used or refurbished one? There are Vitamix offices for the UK/N.Ireland, Belgium, France and Germany which would have 220 volt models of course and maybe have your country's plug style already on the cord.

[www.vita-mix.com]

hope this helps

Date: August 16, 2009 11:27PM

I was thinking Vitamix blenders might have dual voltage motors, but I cannot confirm this. A US Vitamix 5200, for example, is made for 120 volts and 60 Hz frequency, but as you say you need 220 volts (and 50 Hz?) in Europe. I think your transformer idea might very well work but am not sure.

Best of luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 11:31PM by loeve.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:05AM

Well, a 60hz US blender might run slower if run on 50hz in Europe, at least according to this source --

[international-electrical-supplies.com]

"Any motorized (AC motor) appliance that is not dual frequency (50/60 Hz) will rotate 17% slower in a 50 Hz country than it would (in the US). Unfortunately, there is no practical solution to the problem."

This might help -- [www.vitamix.com]

Blessings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables