Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Whats the greenstar like at juicing fruit?
Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: August 15, 2009 09:48AM

Im going to have to buy another juicer to keep at work.
I have a Kempo which juices fruit well.
Im considering taking the kempo to work and buying a greenstar for use at home.
I would quite like to try the greenstar but need to check that its a good fruit juicer before i go along that route.
It may be safer to buy another Kempo, which i know will do the job i need it to do.
Anyone use the greenstar for juicing mainly fruit?
love to hear your comments
ffx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whats the greenstar like at juicing fruit?
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 15, 2009 05:11PM

I heard that it's not the best at soft fruits, but I'm sure other GS experts will jump in here with their in-put. I can't wait to get mine next week. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 15, 2009 07:48PM

I don't have firsthand experience, but they do provide an optional soft fruit attachment for around $12.00 or so. I am currently considering the Green Star 3000 Juicer. Looks like a real beauty!

Date: August 17, 2009 10:11AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have firsthand experience, but they do
> provide an optional soft fruit attachment for
> around $12.00 or so. I am currently considering
> the Green Star 3000 Juicer. Looks like a real
> beauty!

The kempo has a soft fruit attachment included. It makes a huge difference to use the proper tools for the job.I tried juicing fruit with the veggie attachment, as i followed fruit with some greens that i had juiced. What a mess!
I can juice greens with the fruit screen (at a push) but not the other way around!
I fancy trying anothe r model so i may well opt for the greenstar this time around.
I dont have to make the decision until after september, just doing the research now.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 17, 2009 11:30AM

Years ago I had a Greenpower, I don't remember the model; I guess it didn't have the soft fruit attachment at that time, I can't really remember. But what I do remember is that the thing would constantly clog something awful. I was constantly disassembling it to dislodge soft fruit.

Was on the phone with Greenpower tech quite a few times & they tried to talk me through the problems with different adjustments/suggestions, never did get it to work out right. That really turned me against it, so I sold it & purchased the Norwalk.

It looks like they (Greenstar) have made vast improvements over the last few years, so I find myself once again considering the twin screw juicer.

Date: August 17, 2009 03:12PM

juicerkatz Wrote:

>
> It looks like they (Greenstar) have made vast
> improvements over the last few years, so I find
> myself once again considering the twin screw
> juicer.

Twin gear is brilliant. It makes amazing juice. Before I a bought a twin gear I had a high powered centrifugal. There really is no comparison!

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:31AM

I just ordered the Fruit attachment on ebay for pretty cheap. Brand new.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:10AM

I have a Green Star. I get more juice out of it than any other juicer I have used. Tomatoes juice well so that would mean any fruit made like that would juice well, peaches, nectarines. Pears don't juice well in any juicer. In the Green Star it works pretty good. You have to follow the directions with the Green Star. You can't shove fruit through fast, you have to let the juice get through the gears and then let another piece through. I find it kind of fun to look thru the feeding tube at the gears and watch the tomato go through. I don't juice melons or cucumber in my Green Star because they junk up the filter and I have to clean it while I'm using it because I make a quart at a time. The Green Star will do melons or cucumber for 8 oz of juice and even 16 oz of juice before the filter gets junked up. It is just the way I do it. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. mysbenson@yahoo.com

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 18, 2009 06:17PM

there is definitely a knack to juicing fruit in the greenstar. hard pears, peaches etc. befor they are full ripe juice fine but once they get soft they end up clogging the filtering screen and are best juiced "intermittently" and slowly between other stuff that has more fiber. carrots are a good thing to mix with softer stuff that doesn't have much fiber.

soft fruit does not easily lend itself to juicing regardless of the machine.

juicin' john

Date: August 19, 2009 09:45AM

mysbenson
Thanks for your invitation to answer my questions.

juicin' john
pineapples, citrus and apples were what i had in mind.
I just like to have a bit of variety when juice feasting, it helps me overcome those difficult days.
If i leave the screw attachment off my juicer, then it will easily juice several large pineapples and citrus, more than i require in 1 session.
The pulp obviously still contains quite a bit of juice, it not as efficient as juicing veggies, but it works.
I imagine that the greenstar would be pretty much the same.
Im tempted by the larger gears of the greenstar and the opportunity to try out and compare a different model.
thanks

Date: August 19, 2009 03:27PM

anyone who juices citrus with anything but a citrus juicer is wasting their money. citrus juicers are very inexpensive. pineapples must be done slowly and apples are no problem if they are the hard juicy type like fuji,gala,granny smith.

did you know that it is possible to pick up worms from pets living indoors? your cute little puppy may end up giving you parasites with out you ever knowing it. many people are infected and have no idea.

there are several good herbal formaulas availble to get rid of worms after you get them....but it makes sense to prevent infestation before it happens. please be careful.

jj

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 19, 2009 05:15PM

THE FIBER COMING OUT OF THE GREENSTAR IS DRY.

Date: August 19, 2009 07:45PM

juicin' john

Cleaning 1 juicer is quite enough for me!

As i often mix the fruit that i process and add veggies, im looking for 1 machine that will just do the job. The twingear works fine for me.

As regards pineapple, using the fruit screen it will juice as quickly as any other fruit in my machine. No problem.

I appreciate your concern about worms. The dogs are wormed on a regular basis.
I have grown up with pets indoors and outdoors all of my life.
I live on a farm, so i am exposed to parasites from animals all of the time.
I suppose i have a more relaxed attitude to it than you. I do however take your point.

mybenson are you saying that the fiber from juiced fruit is dry?
Thats interesting. I could achieve that with the kempo, but then the sreen clogs before i have a chance to finish processing everything and juice starts flowing back up the chute.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I will probably go for the greenstar.

Date: August 19, 2009 10:25PM

i have problems with soft fruits and my greenstar and yes i could take the pressure knob off the front ....but that would leave the pulp super wet and not economical. i try to mix small amounts of soft fruit intermittently with carrots beets apples and other tasty combinations.

i usually save my pulp when it is wet and use it in another recipe or dehydrate it into cookies.

since you live on a farm ...you probably have acess to bushels of fruit so it would not make a big difference to you if you wasted some inot the compost ...but those who pay top dollar for their fruit would not be happy.

i say eat the soft fruit and enjoy it unless you have a big supply for free..like living on a farm.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 19, 2009 11:18PM

"Juiceman" Jay Kordich says to 'Eat Fruit, and Juice
Vegetables'. The nutrition of Vegetables is in the juice, but
much of the nutrition of Fruit is in the Fiber....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 19, 2009 11:36PM

I like that quote. Thanks, WY.

Date: August 20, 2009 05:44PM

juicin' john wrote
---------------------

i say eat the soft fruit and enjoy it unless you have a big supply for free..like living on a farm.
since you live on a farm ...you probably have acess to bushels of fruit so it would not make a big difference to you if you wasted some inot the compost ...but those who pay top dollar for their fruit would not be happy.

JJ
Unfortunately I dont live on a fruit farm. I have to pay for my fruit, same as the rest of you. my pulp is not wasted. Pup eats that up no probs there!

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> "Juiceman" Jay Kordich says to 'Eat Fruit, and
> Juice
> Vegetables'. The nutrition of Vegetables is in the
> juice, but
> much of the nutrition of Fruit is in the
> Fiber....WY
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related

When i started along this path, I juiced my veggies and ate no fruit because i was told that is what i should do to sort out candida.
Some time later, I juiced veggies and ate fruit.
Further along my path I juiced veggies and blended fruit.
Then one magical day i actually juiced fruit!
I loved it and have never looked back!

Life has taught me to listen to my body and walk my own path.
This is why i love raw vegan so much. The one enables the other!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables