Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does spinach juice well?
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:29PM

I only have a Jack LaLanne juicer right now. This morning I decided to add organic baby spinach leaves to my green drink. I tossed them in the juicer and got about a tsp juice out of 2 handsful of leaves! The juicer pretty must just tossed them where it tosses the pulp.

For those of you who have decent juicers, do you get much juice out of raw spinach?

Re: Does spinach juice well?
Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 18, 2009 04:46PM

My Green Star gets all that can be gotten from them. I used a handful and got one and one half ounces.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 18, 2009 05:00PM

That's good to know. I am waiting for September for the new Green Star model to be out, and then I'll compare to the other Green Stars and see which one I want to order. I felt like I completely wasted organic spinach this morning! I'll just eat the rest of it in salads this week.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 18, 2009 06:23PM

molli

spinach looks like it has more juice that it really does. i mix it with carrot juice and it make a really healthy combination. see dr. norman w. walkers book called fresh fruit and vegetable juices. he combines spinach with carrots and other combinations. spinach is really healthy!

juicin' john

Posted by: Itfeltgood ()
Date: August 22, 2009 07:04PM

I tried to juice spinach today... yah what a no-go sad smiley

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 22, 2009 09:51PM

NOOOOOOO. Do not use the JL juicer for spinach or any other leafy green because you will waste most of the valuable juice and fiber. You'll find that it does NOT juice well in the JL juicer and that you will end up cleaning out the soaking-wet green pulp from the underside of the cover. However, Spinach and other leafy greens DO juice extremely well in an auger-style juicer like the Samson 6-in-1 or the Greenstar. It literally squeezes out all the juice from the leaves and pushes out a very small amount of completely DRY pulp. I prefer to use the leafy greens in my green smoothies because they mix well with fruit, however, I also like juicing them, but they ONLY work with auger juicers. You also want to make sure to use more fibrous produce before and after juicing the green leaves, to help "push" them through the auger. You should also get alot more than just a tsp of juice from 2 big handfuls when using an auger style juicer.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2009 09:52PM by plainlydressed.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 24, 2009 09:55AM

well actually i have a greenstar too and it works brilliantly on all greens
but for spinach it can get kind of frothy sometimes

the trick is to do just a little bunch
i think my prob was that i was trying to juice too much spinach all at once

but it will get it dry
it just can get a bit foamy if u do a lot of it in one batch

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 24, 2009 11:23AM

I found that the auger juicers do better with greens and/or soft fruits if I alternate harder, more fibrous produce in-between - like carrots or celery.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2009 01:22AM

I have found that juicing spinach just does not work. If I want to get spinach into my system quickly, I blend it in a smoothy. My favorite is strawberry, blueberry, spinach blended into a smoothy with the vitamix. Carrots work well in the JL juicer tho, but I have found that I like smoothies better anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:11PM

Has anyone tried some of the recipes at [www.spinachjuice.com]? I can't drink plain spinach juice, but I do like it juiced with apples, grapes, or carrots. It's also very enjoyable mixed together with fresh young Thai coconut water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables