Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I believe I'll stay with my Norwalk...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 24, 2009 07:41PM

After following quite a few of the various juicer threads on here, and with my experience of being a juicer for the last 15 yrs., I decided to pull my Norwalk out & give it "daily duty" use again. I had been using it maybe bi-weekly, alternating with the Samson, but the fact that it poorly juices fruit (other than melons), and is so slow has renewed my spark for this wonderful juicer.

At one point I was reconsidering the Twin screw Tribest/Green Star, but no longer, especially after reading some of these threads & other online reviews. I need a machine that will do it all, & I don't want to have to clean two juicers, using one for soft fruits only.

It truly is the Cadillac among juicers; it will do anything. Soft fruits are not a problem at all with it. And of course, nut butters, sorbets, ice cream and all that other stuff if you are into making it.

Built like a tank, it is virtually indestructible! Very serviceable as well, if you are somewhat mechanically inclined; I have serviced mine over the years, such as replacing the hydraulic fluid when I received it, although that wasn't really necessary at that time, I just wanted to "start out fresh" with it.

i purchased it (lightly) used in '99 for $1200.00. New today, they are about twice that. Guess that is why they say "Sell your stove & buy a juicer". winking smiley

Pricey? Maybe a bit, but when you consider it is almost 100 lb. of solid stainless steel quality, I believe it is well worth it, for a machine that will last a lifetime. (12 yr. warranty, I believe the longest in the juicing industry)

Some complain about the bulkiness, 2-step process...that never really bothered me that much, as you can do both steps at the same time. Cleanup? Maybe a bit longer due to the washing of the cloth bags, but here again, if done properly there is very little to no food material left in the bags, since the pulp comes out bone dry.

I really wouldn't have a problem with paying the $2400.00 for a new one, esp. when you consider the fact that many folks will pay that kind of money for a flat screen tv/entertainment setup, or some other *necessity* ...

Just wanted to give an honest opinion here. I'm certainly not meaning to put down any of the other juicers mentioned, because they all have their good points, but I personally feel that if one is considering making juicing their mainstay - a large part of their diet for life, then the Norwalk would be the ultimate choice, hands down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I believe I'll stay with my Norwalk...
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 24, 2009 08:37PM

Katz.....very excellent post. There's nothing like knowing
where you stand on an issue, even if it goes against the majority.
Happy Juicing.....WY

Date: August 24, 2009 09:07PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Katz.....very excellent post. There's nothing like
> knowing
> where you stand on an issue, even if it goes
> against the majority.
> Happy Juicing.....WY

Thanks WY,

Yeah, I've never been one to stand with the majority! winking smiley

Date: August 24, 2009 09:50PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> Yeah, I've never been one to stand with the
> majority! winking smiley
Katz....As you know, I owned the same model Norwalk that
you have. It was too difficult for me to use on a daily basis,
and I eventually gave it up completely.
Keep us informed about your progress in juicing. As for me, I'm
starting each day with Wheatgrass Juice, followed by Carrot Juice...
....WY

"Whenever I find myself on the side of the Majority,
I begin to question my position"
.....Mark Twain (very loosely quoted)

Date: August 24, 2009 11:03PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> juicerkatz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, I've never been one to stand with the
> > majority! winking smiley
> Katz....As you know, I owned the same model
> Norwalk that
> you have. It was too difficult for me to use on a
> daily basis,
> and I eventually gave it up completely.
> Keep us informed about your progress in juicing.
> As for me, I'm
> starting each day with Wheatgrass Juice, followed
> by Carrot Juice...
> ....WY
>
> "Whenever I find myself on the side of the
> Majority,
> I begin to question my position".....Mark Twain
> (very loosely quoted)

I believe what turns off most people to this juicer is two things; - well, maybe three if you count the price! winking smiley

1) The way the cutter has a tendency to to "grab" the produce when you first feed it in the chute. You need to learn the proper way of feeding it; once that is mastered, and it doesn't take long to learn it, it is a breeze.

I remember the first few times I used it, I spattered the kitchen ceiling more than once with shredded carrots, lol!

2) Too much pulp in the bags creating a cleanup mess; If you overfill them, the pulp will not come out dry. That is the trick here; keep the pulp to the right amount, it will be dry as a bone and cleaning of the bags is just a quick cold water rinse & then back in the freezer.

WY, I am sure you know all of this, but I thought I would elaborate a bit further in case others may benefit from it. There are Norwalk forums on the net that have a lot of experienced posters that contribute as well.

Oh yeah, I like your new sig!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 11:04PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 26, 2009 12:35AM

I'm confused about the Norwalk. Exactly WHAT kind of juicer is it? Does it use auger gears or centrifugal blades? I'm sincerely curious about exactly what kind of juicer it is. I've read a little about it in various forums, but nothing really seriously simply because of the price. Thanks for any more detailed information.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 26, 2009 11:26AM

plainlydressed,

It is a two step process; First, you push the produce through the chute with a wooden plunger; it goes through a cutter blade/screen which you can see in the pic just under the knob...

A juicing bag if placed on the knob; When you get an amount of pulp into the bag, you then remove it, place it in the press tray & hydraulically press the bag, squeezing the juice out. The juice is completely pulp free, it is awesome. It will keep for yup to three days in sealed jars. I use the 8 oz. jelly/mason type jars.

To a person new to juicing, it may seem like a cumbersome process, but it is not really. You don't have to "play" with the food, cutting it up ion small pieces, pushing it thorough with other food, etc.

At one point I was re-considering the Green Star, as I had one several years ago; I can see from your posts in the other thread that they still suffer from the clogging issues...it is a shame, they really should address that problem.

Again, not trying to put down any other machine, but I do believe in being honest. Matter of fact, all juicers will develop a clog after a period of time, because of the pulp.

With the Norwalk, you simply pull that screen out of the slot, rinse it, put it back in & you are ready to go - a 10 second cleaning! I suppose my main complaint with this machine would be the noise level; I do wear ear protection when juicing, so that can be a pain, but I deal with it.

There are many good vids on youtube featuring the Norwalk - here is one

[www.youtube.com]

The neat thing you will notice is that the pulp comes out completely dry; It has the consistency of a leather wallet!

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 26, 2009 09:45PM

In a word - WOW !!!!!!!! That's a very interesting and incredible juicer !!! What kind of "grinder" does it use? Does it "cut-up" the produce? It looks almost just like the steel gears used in the Green Star. What an interesting machine !!!!! That video was awesome!!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 27, 2009 12:41AM

A few pics; First are the various screens. Please excuse the mineral buildup! Also, one of the screens I never use has a severe dent in it from storage...

Now for the cutter; No, nothing like the steel gears used in the Green Star...

After all, you wouldn't put a Toyota wheel on a Cadillac, would you?!?!? LOL, my bad! Just joking, the thought came to me & I couldn't resist. winking smiley

The cutter probably weighs 3 lb. or so, and is a bit smaller than a baseball, I guess. It chops the produce up using what Norwalk calls a "Triturating" process.

Date: August 27, 2009 01:52AM

Katz....Thanks for the pics.....lot of work for you
to do. I remember the Triturator very well. About the third time
it put Carrot pulp on my walls and ceiling, my Norwalk had to go!!
The Norwalk Press Juicer has a good reputation.....especially at the
Gerson Clinic. I'll go out on a limb, and guess the patients there
don't press the juice for themselves.....too difficult.....WY

Date: August 27, 2009 02:05AM

WY -

Yeah, wish the pics could have been better; my lighting is not good, & I really need to clean the mineral deposits off the SS!

" I remember the Triturator very well. About the third time
it put Carrot pulp on my walls and ceiling, my Norwalk had to go!! "

HA HA!!! I know, I know - everyone does that until you discover how to operate it. I called the tech line a few times & they were so helpful, they will stay on the phone & talk you through any problems that you have.

Once you get that part down, (it really is easy) it's all good from there. I never have a problem with that. Another common thing that folks do is overfill the bags; remember, only a cup of produce!

norwalk juicer for sale 1200.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:44PM

hi ya'll. I have a built to last past your grandkids lifetime norwalk stainless steel juicer. it is a 265s, and it has been used literally for only a few months, and has been in my storage for years. i juiced with it today to make sure all is well, it literally looks and runs like a brand new machine. please contact me at 310-772-8202. if it is not sold through this post, i will sell it on ebay. please let me know. you can also email me at ddmtnmama@hotmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables