Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

JUICIN JOHN !! HELP !!! (Or any other Green Star experts.....)
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 26, 2009 12:26AM

Ok - finally had a little extra time this morning to play with my new "toy." I ALREADY have questions......

Love the power and speed, but very confused about some of the results. I used the coarse screen and got WAY too much pulp in the juice (hubby had to eat the bottom of his jar out with a spoon! *LOL*) I followed the instructions and turned the knob only until it "stopped turning" and did not tighten it any further.

I juiced a 5 lb bag of carrots and alternated with other things like apples and cabbage. (Ran out of time to prepare anything else.) But I had a problem and need help. The carrots juiced just fine, but when I tried the cabbage, the juice and foam "backed-up" into the feeder chute. I tried little amounts and waited until completely clear and then larger amounts to see what worked best and got the same result. The problem was even WORSE when I juiced crisp apples (not mushy or soft at all). The juice and pulp kept backing-up into the chute and I had to poke and poke at it carefully and WAIT forever for the turning gears to finally suck it all down in. It really slowed down the process and was very annoying. I NEVER experienced those problems with my slow-poke, single-auger Samson.

Frustrated and looking for guidance. Thanks so much. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JUICIN JOHN !! HELP !!! (Or any other Green Star experts.....)
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 26, 2009 01:34AM

first off...use the fine screen and the pulp will be minumal and if you like the strainer will remove any which may get through

cabbaage should not be a problem....here's how i do it. cut acabbage into strips and feed them into the feeding chute with the wooden plenger tamping them down gently. always us e the wooden pleunger and do not be afraid to touch the turning gears with the wood. the wood is pure cellulose...same as the pulp is cellulose.

crisp apple cut into section and juiced one section at a time should not back up unless you go to fast. alternating carrot then apple and then cabbage should not back up on you.

you seem to have the correct setting on the knob. experiment with it and you eill figure out how much you need to tighten it for various things . general rule is softer stuff with little fiber requires the least tightening...carrots and celery do fine all the way tightened.

let me know anytime you need help getting on with it.

juicin. john

Date: August 26, 2009 01:41AM

Thanks for coming to my rescue so fast, JJ. I did it exactly as you instructed above and even used the wooden plunger. I cut the cabbage into strips and fed them slowly into the chute. I did the same with the apples - used one of those handy apple wedgers and even feed the round core down through the chute. No matter how I fed the produce into the machine, the liquid backed-up on me. I guess I will have to play around with the knob. I also have the additional knob for "soft fruit," but I thought that was only for fruits like tomatoes, grapes, peaches, etc.

Thanks again for the suggestions and we'll see how I make out tomorrow with my next batch. Will definitely keep you posted. Thanks so much for being around when I (WE) need help. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 26, 2009 01:50AM

if necessary i will get on a plane and show you and your husband personally. lol

forget the tomatoes and peacheds especially the tomatoes. they will certainly back up.

peaches that are still hard will juice ok. adn so will most grapes. the secret is to find nice tasting blended combinations and use the grapes and blueberries and strawberies intermittently as flavoring and coloring agents.

some beautifully cored and flavored drinks can be designed and tweaked to perfection with the green star please do not despair....where do you live maybe i can drive there instead of fly.. any way

please don't worry....greenstar will do the job you need.

juicin' john

Date: August 26, 2009 02:01AM

I trust your in-put and will definitely give it the college try before giving up on the GS. I just have to learn to tweek it. We live in PA. Anywhere close to driving distance?? *grin* =)

I definitely want to be able to add in some of the "sweeter" produce because I get tired of so much CARROT juice and like to add grapes or apples or strawberries to help with flavor and sweetness.

Thanks again for being there for us. Not ready to throw in the towel by a long-shot. Will keep playing around and keep you posted. =)

THANK YOU !!!! =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 26, 2009 02:04AM

bingo....pennsylvania also.

not to worry.

juicin' john

Date: August 26, 2009 02:26AM

You're kidding!! Where??!! We're in central PA in the Williamsport / Lewisburg / Bloomsburg area. I used to work in Harrisburg and also used to live down in York county, so I've been all over the state. What general area are you?? That's so cool!! Who knew you lived right in our "back door?" I'm off to bed now, but will be excited to check tomorrow what area you live. Thanks a million. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 26, 2009 03:10AM

i'm only 3 hours or so away in western region.

juicin' john

Date: August 26, 2009 09:33PM

Hi John

Thanks so much for your wonderful help. I had better success this morning. Fed alot of Kale through with no problem. (Blown away by the tiny amount of DRY pulp!!!) Also added cabbage, apples, Gapes, and a cucumber to the mix. I alternated the Kale with the juicier produce, because it seemed that the "pulling" process with the gears helps to "pull through" any juice back-up when pulling the greens down through. I juiced ALOT of Kale and it turned out so nicely. I also figured out that I just need to push smaller amounts through more slowly and it worked better that way.

LOVED using the finer screen!!! The juice was SOOO much nicer and smoother. I was amazed to get almost a full gallon of juice from all those ingredients and barely a hand-ful of DRY pulp!! Even hubby was amazed!!!

Alot better success today, thanks to your wonderful suggestions. If you're ever in the area, PLEASE DO look us up and come visit for a fresh glass of juice. =) So far I'm very happy and will keep experimenting and will keep you posted. Thanks SO very much!!!

Juicy {{Hugs}}

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 27, 2009 05:30AM

Good to hear you got it working out for you; Did you get to use the soft fruit attachment yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables