Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Potato Juice ???
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 29, 2009 10:02PM

I wondered if any of you juice raw potatoes? I've been reading about the wonderful health benefits and wondered if anyone juices them on this forum? Thanks.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Potato Juice ???
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 30, 2009 01:26AM

hi plainlydressed

potatoes are ok to juice as long as they don't have green on the skin. always remove green portions of skin and fleah and also "eyes". when you juice raw potato you will see the potato starch sink to the botrtom of the glass. some people strain off the clear liquid and leave the starch behind. the starch wo'nt hurt you.

potato juice is supposed to have antibiotic qualities.

juicin' john

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 30, 2009 11:25PM

plainlydressed,

In the past I have juiced potatoes(High C!)but never alone--Bleeeech! They blend well into the background of greens and citrus juice.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 30, 2009 11:28PM

yep i use a bit of potato every day or other day smiling smiley like maybe a quarter of a palm sized potato smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 30, 2009 11:56PM

I'm not going to touch this one. I've resolved
to be only Positive, or nothing at all.....WY

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: August 31, 2009 12:45AM

Hi, Ive juiced potatoes but only for use of eliminating dark under eye circles and bags. I always heard potatoes are too starchy, but maybe I was mistaken

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Date: August 31, 2009 01:22AM

Whenever Potatoes are mentioned, I always think
of Vincent van Gogh's 1885 painting of "The Potato Eaters".
I wonder what this same group of people would look like if
they ate only Fruit?....WY

[www.paintinghere.com]

Date: September 01, 2009 01:22AM

LOLOL !! Thanks for the chuckle, WY. =) Hey, just because you have a different or contrary opinion doesn't make you "negative." It's all in the "presentation." *grin* We're all here to learn and share and I, for one, WELCOME as much varied information and opinions that I can get so I can make my own informed decisions. PLEASE don't stop sharing. You've never come across to me as rude or negative just because you might express a different opinion. Don't get shy now. SPILL SPILL SPILL !!!!!!!!!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: September 01, 2009 07:27PM

plainlydressed Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> .............Hey,
> just because you have a different or contrary
> opinion doesn't make you "negative." It's all in
> the "presentation."
Okay then, I'll disagree in an agreeable way if
the need ever arises. I usually agree with you. However,
I don't when it comes to Potato Juice. I think you're just
looking for an excuse to use your new GreenStar.....WY

Date: September 01, 2009 11:43PM

That doesn't answer my question, WY. While it's true that I love using my GS, I am genuinely curious about the pro's and con's about potato juicing because I stumbled upon the idea while surfing a juicing website. I honestly don't know much about it, so I'm sincerely seeking info and opinions. I can appreciate and respect the fact that you DON'T agree with potato juicing, but what I don't understand is WHY ? I'd really like to know what information you can share. I don't know much about it myself, so have to rely alot on Mr. Google. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 02, 2009 03:08AM

i wrote this a few weeks ago about potatoes, a friend of mine clued me into this some time ago and honestly i feel it works for me smiling smiley and honestly thats all that matters lol tongue sticking out smiley

Re: Anything we shouldn't juice? Posted by: Jgunn (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2009 03:40PM

well its not too novel apparently its a old time gypsy folk remedy hehe smiling smiley i dont juice enough of it to really even taste it smiling smiley its also apparently chockfull of chlorogenic acid, which helps prevent cell mutations that lead to cancer... supposedly smiling smiley

its funny about chlorogenic acid ..

Chlorogenic acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [en.wikipedia.org]

Chlorogenic acid is a family of naturally occurring organic compounds. These are esters of cinnamic acids and (-)-quinic acid.[1] It is an important biosynthetic intermediate.[2] It also is one of the phenols found in coffee as well as many other plants.[3] This compound, long known as an antioxidant, also slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream after a meal.[4]

ive been mixing it with my carrot juice maybe 1/15 potato to carrot and i dont notice the sugar spikes i would get from the carrot nearly as much anymore so it seems that glucose slowing might actually have some merrit smiling smiley although ive onlybeen adding hte potoato bit for a couple of months smiling smiley

*shrugs* if i feel it works for me thats all that matters i reckon tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:03PM

I do sweet-potato juice all the time. It's a nice substitute for carrot. similar taste, with a bit of chalkiness (the starch is my guess) which I really like.
-Daniel

Date: September 05, 2009 01:12AM

I went to Publix this evening for a few things. In the
Produce section the Idaho Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes are next to
each other on display. I was suddenly reminded of this topic 'Potato
Juice???'. They sure didn't look like anything I would want to juice.
The Carrot, and Celery section looked more appealing......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables