Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Integrity of Juice ???
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 28, 2009 11:01PM

I made my daily quarts of fresh juice back on Monday morning for work and left one jar at work when I went home early with the flu. That was 2 full days ago. Normally I wouldn't even consider using that juice, but I always juice one whole lemon in my daily batch, skin and all (organic), so I wondered if the lemon might provide some type of preservative properties? It has been refrigerated ever since I got to work Monday morning. Just wondered what your thoughts were on this? Thanks. =)

Oops - forgot to list my ingredients for that batch:

Apples
Kale Greens
Whole Lemon (with skin)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Integrity of Juice ???
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 28, 2009 11:18PM

According to Brian Clement, all juice begins to lose it's potency 15 minutes after juicing, no matter what juicer is used.....WY

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 28, 2009 11:24PM

Thanks WY. I understand that principle, but I was wondering if the whole lemon might have provided some natural preservative properties? I know the lemon would have started to break down as well, but I think it would last longer than the other ingredients. I'm sure I won't use the juice, but I thought about it today and wondered if that might have been the case. Thanks. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 31, 2009 05:49PM

Brian Clement & others state that the nutrients do break down quickly, some (like cabbage) for example, in as little as a minute or so. That being said, I feel that the juice still retains healthful properties & I have been doing it this way for years.

With the Norwalk, I will keep juices in the 8 oz. size jelly jars for up to four days max. Since so much of the pulp is removed, there is less spoilage, and I feel them to the very top to leave as little space for air to create oxidation.

There is a tool/utensil, I saw it on discountjuicer.com or someplace like that, & it is an "air extractor", that works on a suction principle to remove most of the air & create a vacuum like environment in the container.

Lastly, you can tell when the juice is starting to turn, as you will get the fermented taste or smell upon opening the container.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 31, 2009 10:13PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a tool/utensil, I saw it on
> discountjuicer.com or someplace like that, & it is
> an "air extractor", that works on a suction
> principle to remove most of the air & create a
> vacuum like environment in the container.
It's called Pump-n-Seal...it's excellent. I used
one for many years when I had a commercial juicer, and was
making a whole days supply of juice at once. Nowadays I juice,
and drink it immediately.....WY

[www.pump-n-seal.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables