Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicer recommendations
Posted by: adrian ()
Date: November 01, 2009 01:33PM

hello everyone, i am in need of a new juicer, something that i can make a couple quarts/day that doesn't take 3 hours!

i love juicing, but haven't been this last year due to time . i have a hippocrates juicer, which is nice, but it takes forever to make anything and long to clean up.

i had a champion juicer which was much faster, but couldn't seem to make much juice at one time, had to stop and clean it and do it again. i ended up selling that one...i sort of regret it now because it would have been good to have for the odd fruit based juice.

anyway, what do you all use and are you happy with it?

i've read of people making juice with vitamix then straining with a nut milk bag...it is very quick, but i found the juice not so good, maybe i didn't blend it long enough...does this method produce juice that's juice-like? didn't taste right to me or have that juice texture...

so far i'm thinking omega or greenstar, but will i be able to make a lot of juice with these? any other juicers you recommend?

thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicer recommendations
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 01, 2009 02:07PM

My vote will definitely be for the Green Star or the Omega VRT. Cheaper version of the Omega VRT - if you're on a budget - is the Hurom Juicer - Made by same company with exact same features, but much smaller warranty.

Part of the problem of blending the juice before straining is because it causes more damage and oxidation to the enzymes much more than an "Auger" style juicer which just squeezes the juice from the produce with much less oxidation and damage to the cells.

The Omega and Green Star will make about the same amounts of juice in very good speed with differences that just depend on personal preference. Omega's is slightly pulpier and the juice production might differ by 1/2-1 cup, however it is much faster than the GS. But the GS is a FANTASTIC juicer as well when it comes to greens, super dry pulp, and very safely-extracted juice with less oxidation. Both will depend on personal preference.

I'm sure others will have good suggestions as well. Good luck and keep us posted. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 01, 2009 02:36PM

thanks, that's very helpful. i think i'm leaning toward greenstar as well, particularily if it's almost as fast as omega. the main thing i'm looking for is a juicer that i can make enough juice for the day in good amount of time...but still quality juice, of course...

when i bought the hippocrates years ago, i should have researched a bit more first...it is slow press and great with greens, but so slow! the store i got it from assured me it was exactly the same as greenstar, just smaller. i guess it is?...it is not feasible for making large amounts of juice with, as i found out. it's also not good at all with fruit, is the greenstar okay with fruit?

so one more question then...if i wanted to make at least 2 quarts at a time (maybe even 3 if possible?)...can the greenstar and omega both do this, or does the screen get too full and you have to stop to clean i?

when i bought the hippocrates, they also said...nah...you can juice all you want, doesn't clog. that hasn't been my expericence...couldn't do more than under 1 quart and it took probably 1 hour (start to finish). juice was nice though! i started using the blank screen and hand squeezing it through a nut milk bag,and that actually gave even better juice, but i don't have time to do that all the time...

thanks again for opinions...

Date: November 01, 2009 03:09PM

I haven't used my new Omega VRT yet to know the answer, but I can easily juice 3-4 quarts of juice in my GS with no problems or clogging at all. Keep in mind that I, personally, don't juice alot of carrots, so that might make a difference, but I don't see a problem with juicing at least 2-3 quarts of carrots and other produce without a problem. I've never had clogging problems at all with my GS. IMHO, you can't go wrong at all with the GS. I "might" be selling mine possibly soon because I really love my new Omega VRT. How soon are you looking to buy?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 01, 2009 04:19PM

okay, that's good to know. i'm thinking of getting a juicer just as soon as i get some more counter space in my kitchen so i can use it. i just moved and there's no where to do anything in there...have to get an island or something...

when you get 3 or 4 quarts juice, what type of things are you juicing...i'd probably do green juices like lettuce, collards, cabbage and some apple...

Date: November 01, 2009 04:52PM

I normally juice apples as the base for my juice, combined with all or some of these ingredients: Celery, Kale, Cucumbers, Whole Lemons (organic w/ skins), Grapes, Tomatoes, etc. I really like the Omega VRT because the softer produce like apples or tomatoes don't "back up" in the juicer shoot like in my GS. You can juice those things, but there is a learning curve to doing it. It works best when you alternate soft produce with greens or fibrous produce like Celery or Carrots to help push the juice through the augers. It works fine once you get the knack of it, but I like the Omega because it is self-feeding and the soft fruits/veggies don't back-up on me. (The produce sort of "mushes" into the shoot against the augers and the juice backs up into the feeding shoot if you're not careful. Alternating the soft with the hard or fibrous produce helps to "suck" the juice down between the augers to avoid the back-up problem.)

I'm not in any hurry to sell mine because I haven't had alot of time to play with my new Omega just yet. I received it and then went down sick and haven't been able to do the juices on my sick tummy just yet. So that's good that you're not in a hurry. I might list it up on the Classifieds section before lising on Ebay, so you'll get a chance at it if interested. I'm not sure about selling it yet.

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 01, 2009 06:16PM

okay, that's great, i'll keep an eye out if you decide to sell it. i know what you mean about alternating soft and fibrous produce, my hippocrates is like that too...

enjoy your new juicer....oh, i'm inspired to start juicing again now...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 03, 2009 06:57AM

I use a masticating juicer (Green Power KP-E1304 auger/screw-type) for juicing wheatgrass and a centrifigal juicer (Breville JE95XL) for hard fruits and vegetables.

Why? Because it's a breeze to make wheatgrass juice in the Green Power Juicer and it's easy to clean- just rinse and brush off the parts, but it's labor intensive when it comes to hard fruits and vegetables, therefore, I use the Breville for hard fruits and veggies because it's quick and easy to do- you don't have to chop that much to feed stuff into the feed chute, unlike the Green Power's narrow chute, which requires you to make smaller pieces. The chute on the Breville is big enough that you can put whole apples into it without chopping, if they're small enough, or several whole carrots- and it does it in seconds versus the Green Power, which takes minutes.

Admittedly, the Green Power juicer produces a higher quality/quantity juice because it crushes the juice slowly and it doesn't oxidize the vegetable but it requires more work and time. Where as the Breville, and centrifugal juicers like it, introduce alot of air into the juice in the shredding process and produces less juice and more pulp but requires less work and time and is thus easier to do.

Bottom line- if you have to get one juicer, get the Green Power because it can do BOTH wheatgrass AND hard fruits and veggies, where as centrifigal juicers can only do fruits and veggies- not leafy matter like grass and leaves.

If you don't need to do things like wheatgrass, and you need something relatively cheap, then get the Breville juicer. It's fast and easy to clean- you can reduce 5 pounds of carrots or a dozen small apples into 32 ounces of juice in a couple of minutes. If you want more juice you'll have to rinse and repeat, as the pulp collector and the juice collector will begin to overflow after that amount. As far as the oxidation of the juice- I think you should drink it right when you make it. Don't try and store it, just make enough to drink immediately, because the centrifigal process introduces a lot of air into the mixture which may cause it to spoil faster.

BUT, if you can get both, get both! Makes life alot easier. Use the Green Power to make wheatgrass juice and the Breville for everything else!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 03, 2009 01:18PM

Very nice Rafoba. I do something very similar.... by using three
juicers to take care of all my juicing needs.....WY

Date: November 04, 2009 04:18AM

i'm really regretting selling my champion juicer now. i used to do something similar with making carrot/apple juice with it which was very fast and easy clean up...and while i couldn't make 2 quarts at a time, it'd do 1 anyhow and very fast...why'd i sell it? oh well...thanks for your input, maybe i'll do something like that again keep the hippocrates and get a faster one for non leafy produce...

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: November 09, 2009 05:20PM

WY,

Which 3 juicers do you use and which foods for each? Thanks.

Kref

Date: November 09, 2009 06:48PM

AH !! It was ADRIAN that I was talking to about selling my juicer !! See my other thread, Adrian, if you're still interested in the GS. It's for sale. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 09, 2009 09:03PM

Krefcenz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY,>
> Which 3 juicers do you use and which foods for
> each?
1. Wheateena Green Label for Wheatgrass Juice.
2. Omega 8003 for Celery Juice.
3. Omega 4000 for Carrot Juice.
Plus, I have a Breville Citrus Press when my Grapefruit Tree
is in season (which is now)......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables