Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicers
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 25, 2009 06:35AM

Hello,

I recently joined your wonderful community..thank you for some really wonderful information..

I have been juicing mainly veggies, greens and some fruit over a few years using centrifugal juicers so far. (usually juice some carrots, lots of broccolli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach and an apple for sweetning)
My 2nd centrifugal juicer recently broke.
So am currently looking into getting a good healthy juicer.

I see so much information regarding the various masticating juicers..is there one particular masticating one that you would recommend?
I am leaning towards the GS..which version of GS is good? how hard/time consuming is it to juice organic carrots (not baby carrots), broccolli, cauliflower, cabbage?

Would you juicing experts please recommend a good juicer.

Thanks!
Tanisha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicers
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 25, 2009 12:46PM

Hi Tanisha,

Welcome aboard! Instead of getting into a long dissertation on juicers in this thread, I would direct you to several of the other threads in this same subforum. There has been several lively discussions on a few juicers & even comparison tests over the last couple of months that should answer many of the questions that you have.

We all have our different wants/needs when it comes to juicing, as you will read in those threads. If you have more questions after reading up on them, please feel free to post them, as there are many long-term juicers on here that would be glad to respond!

Happy juicing!

Date: November 25, 2009 05:20PM

Hello Juicerkatz,

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to read up threads..lots of info smiling smiley

I was looking at one of the reviews on the new GS elite:
"The performance of the Elite is the same as the Gold but the design of the Elite is awful. It is impossible to clean and difficult to use compare to the Gold."

Do any of you feel the same with Elite?

Thanks

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 25, 2009 05:44PM

Tanisha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do any of you feel the same with Elite?
John Kohler's YouTube videos on the Elite show that it's
difficult to juice Baby Carrots with it, never mind the full-size.
I've yet to see anything about cleanup time.....WY

Posted by: jonl138 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 08:18PM

"The performance of the Elite is the same as the Gold but the design of the Elite is awful. It is impossible to clean and difficult to use compare to the Gold."
The performance between the Elite and the Gold is similar but not the same. The Elite is a 3 stage juicer whereas the Gold is a 2 stage juicer.

Cleanup time with the Elite takes me about a minute. My previouse juicer was a GS 3000 and it took a bit longer

I really don't see what all the fuss is with carrots and the greenstar, it is a little work compared to juicers that suck them in but not much. I've that you don't really even need to "push" the carrots through, just lean into it applying a little pressure and the juicer will do the rest.

-Jon

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: November 25, 2009 08:46PM

wow ......

i have been using my new gs-elite for almost two weeks now and i can tell you this about the clean up......it is very easy!

the latching arms have been replaced with "snap to close" and "unsnap to open" metal "latching "clip" attachments" .....which makes it very simple to assemble and disassemble.

all the parts easily fit into the sink ....and basically rinse clean. the gears and screen do need a little scrubbing with the all purpose brush that comes with the machine just like the gold.... and when finished washing it ..... all of the parts stack nicely into the large cover and feeding chute assembly like a little basket.

i turn that assembly upside down and can stack all the juicer parts onto it as if it were a "basket" and then i just let it drain and dry for the next use. believe me it is really easy to clean.

tanisha....please tell me......i'm curious to know where you saw that the elite was impossible to clean and difficult to use. it have found out that the larger gears and screen make it evan slightly more efficient and and easy to to use than the older model greenstar which i have replaced after many years of faithful and reliable service.

wheatgrass yogi.....i have found that baby carrots are totally easy to juice in the elite.... who would waste money juicng baby carrots when the bigger carrots are less expensive and just need to be cut to a smaller size if you are not strong enough to push them through.

personally...i find that is very easy for me to push the whole carrots through quickly with much less effort than with the older model! it must be because of the larger gears.......... because it works beautifully for me on full sized carrots! i like that alot becaue carrot juice is one of my favorites. i use the wooden plunger.

so far i like the elite evan better than the gs-1000 which i have used for many years.

juicin' john

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 25, 2009 09:16PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so far i like the elite even better than the
> gs-1000 which i have used for many years.
JJ....Thanks for the report of your new Elite.
I'm glad you like it....I was afraid you wouldn't when I
first saw it....going by looks alone.....WY

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 25, 2009 09:25PM

For a newbie (or anyone for that matter), I definitely vote for the Green Star (any model) to cover all your needs successfully. You can't go wrong with that awesome juicer and I never had any problems juicing anything with it once I learned all the little tricks. LOVE juicing greens with it.

My current favorite is the Omega VRT which suits my personal needs, but for heavy juicers with a wide variety of produce, I definitely recommend the Green Star. I LOVED mine!!

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 26, 2009 12:44AM

Hello Juicin' Jon

Here is where I found two posts on the difficulty of cleaning the GS elite:

1. [www.discountjuicers.com] <--- please see bottom of page for review

2. [www.amazon.com]

Looks like many of you folks do like the GS.
I have never used a masticating juicer nor seen one in person..

Would you please recommend a few sites that I could purchase this from.

Thanks!
Tanisha

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 26, 2009 01:13AM

I highly recommend this website for juicer (and otherwise) purchases. Family-owned, extremely honest, very very reputable, fantastic Ebay reviews. I definitely plan on buying my Vita-Mix blender from them when I make that purchase.

[www.coolshinystuff.com]

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 26, 2009 05:43AM

John the owner of this website rawfoodsupport has the same prices as cool shiny stuff site , so id buy off him smiling smiley [www.discountjuicers.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables