Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I've done a Flip-Flop
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 14, 2009 09:18PM

Not so long ago I mentioned that I could live without my Juicers, but couldn't live without my Blender. After much thought and soul-searching, it's been revealed to me that it's fiber, and excessive amounts of it, that causes most of our ills. So now it's my Blender that sits idle.
Keep those Wheatgrass, Celery, and Carrot Juices flowing.....WY
P.S. Excessive amounts of Fruit Sugar may not be as good as many think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I've done a Flip-Flop
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 15, 2009 02:42AM

Hmmm....interesting. It has always be said that fiber, fiber, & more fiber is good/better for you. Can you cite the source of your revelation?

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: December 15, 2009 01:00PM

Yes, I'm curious about that as well. It seems that medical science has proven for decades that fiber (appropriately ingested) is beneficial to health and longevity in inumerable ways. I cannot imagine any study known to mankind that touts fiber has "harmful" to the body. WOW! Please share the source of your revelation, but I am quite sure that it would take reams of medical data to make me think otherwise than I already do. smiling smiley

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: December 15, 2009 10:28PM

hi wheatgrass yogi...

i think you are right on the money with your "flip flop". i have always thought that blending was a questionable way of preparing foods for daily consumption...but i just didn't wish to break "everybodys blending bubble" so to say.

my reasons are mostly in reference to oxidation and the denaturing of proteins which may occurs through the high speed blending process. i was not aware of the excessive fiber aspect as being problematic.

i hope you are getting on well with your juicing change-over. yes i agree that too much fruit sugar is not good.

juicin' john

Date: December 16, 2009 02:05AM

You can get too much fruit sugar whether you eat the whole fruit, blended fruit, or juiced fruit. Always a way to get "too much of a good thing." As for the oxidation with blending versus juicing - I saw a blog somewhere (wish I could remember where) of someone demonstrating the difference between blended potato versus juiced potato and the difference was amazing. The blended potato oxidized WAY slower than the juiced potato, which oxidized immediately and turned a nasty brown. I thought the experiment was rather interesting.

Regardless - I see benefits to both blending AND juicing and will continue to do both and also continue to believe in the amazing health benefits of fiber in the diet. smiling smiley

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: December 16, 2009 12:38PM

jj -

As a bodybuilder & former consumer of MUCH whey/other protein, I was always led to believe that the excessive heat caused by hi-speed blending was the reason that denaturing of proteins & cross-linking occurred.

That is, if you can believe anything that is put forth in any of the magazines or other articles. Alls well that ends well.

PD - you make good points about the oxidation of the potato blend/juice. I will continue to have it both ways... smiling smiley

Date: December 17, 2009 06:29AM

Some of you may remember Jericho Sunfire (see picture) aka Richard Blackman), who used to post at the main Forum. He had to move on, as our ways here tended to pull him down.
Anyway, he is a true example of how Man can thrive without Fiber. He evolved from Fruitarian to Liquidarian to Breatharian at these Forums alone. There is no limit to what we can do.
Personally, I feel Liquidarian is my place now. Where are you on Life's Journey?....WY

[static11.photo.sina.com.cn]

Date: December 17, 2009 12:18PM

WY -

re you moving towards Breatharian? It is an interesting concept; I spent some time browsing a couple Breatharian forums, but was not really convinced all that much. Maybe it is because I have such a hard time believing it is possible, especially since pretty much all the famous Breatharians have been debunked.

"He had to move on, as our ways here tended to pull him down." ---

I don't know - I feel maybe that it was his abrasive attitude/approach and our responses to that was what pulled him down. He certainly didn't do anything positive to win my friendship with the few neg. jabs he took at me...

Oh well, maybe I need to lighten up a bit...

At any rate - what was it that made you change your mind on the fiber issue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 12:19PM by juicerkatz.

Date: December 18, 2009 12:42AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY -
> are you moving towards Breatharian? Right now I'm moving towards Liquidarianism.
> Oh well, maybe I need to lighten up a bit...You may have come on a little strong, but he (Jericho Sunfire) didn't have to react the way he did. It doesn't take much to find out what's on the inside of a person. I did admire him for his stance, as I do any dedicated person.
> At any rate - what was it that made you change your mind on the fiber issue? I feel better running on 'empty'.....WY

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:18PM

I see two ways of approaching fiber in the diet. One is to get plenty so that there is a broom effect. Another is to get very little so that whatever is consumed is used very efficiently, leaving no food traces to ferment or putrify. The latter could be compared to the newborn who lives very cleanly the first 6 months or so on a fiberless diet. The introduction of fiber to children's diets has more to do with what's available for food rather than a physiological need, seems to me. There must be studies out there on people who, for one reason or another, live on fiberless diets, like those who are prescribed an 'elemental diet' for medical reasons.

Date: December 19, 2009 02:22AM

That's good Loeve. That 'broom effect' you mentioned can make for some very large BMs....taking energy, and creating pressure on the inner organs and nerves. A Liquid Diet causes BMs to become 'washes'....much cleaner feeling...healthier too if Green Juice is included.
'Go Liquid' is speaking to me. Don't be afraid to change your diet as your Spirit speaks to you.....WY

Date: December 19, 2009 01:24PM

Peristalsis is not just to move food and waste through your system. It is designed to massage and encourage lymph flow through the tissues and organs for proper function, among many other healthy benefits. Our bodies were created (designed, evolved, or whatever the reader believes) to experience this function. Coming from a Biblical Christian perspective, I have a hard time believing that God would create us to live strictly on liquid if the original diet was the nuts and fruits from trees (with lots of fiber). He would have created us to do that from the beginning.

Using liquid for de-tox, healing, and improved health? Absolutely. But I would have to put this theory into my "extreme" file as foundationless.

HOWEVER - If this is something that makes you thrive and feel well, then by all means, move forward in faith to live strong and be well and don't let anyone discourage your new discoveries.

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 19, 2009 04:50PM

I agree, plainlydressed, peristalsis is a good thing. Fortunately peristalsis is stimulated by fiberless food as well. Newborns have peristalsis on fiberless diets. Any contents in the digestive tract will stimulate peristalsis.

"Ninety-nine percent of normal newborn infants pass stool within the first 48 hours of life (5)."

[www.hawaii.edu]

That's peristalsis, I believe.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: January 06, 2010 05:07PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Some of you may remember Jericho Sunfire (see
> picture) aka Richard Blackman), who used to post
> at the main Forum. He had to move on, as our ways
> here tended to pull him down.
> Anyway, he is a true example of how Man can thrive
> without Fiber. He evolved from Fruitarian to
> Liquidarian to Breatharian at these Forums alone.
> There is no limit to what we can do.
> Personally, I feel Liquidarian is my place now.
> Where are you on Life's Journey?....WY

I sincerely doubt the man is a breatharian. Coming from erroneous timeline he gave of when he went all liquids from fruit and his attitude in general. I will believe that someone is breatharian when they allow a 24/7 watch for a month to be placed over them. I don't think it was our ways that pulled him down. It was inability and unwillingness as well downright hostility when questioned about his diet. It was also his arguement that he did not want to act as anyone's guru and did not want anyone to overly scrutinize what he did or how he lived but was very willing to charge people money for his services. He also draws attention to himself by doing interviews for magazines or specials then states he doesn't want attention. No doubt the man appears to be in great shape. I give him great credit for his physical conditioning but I doubt the validity of his claims.
for living on liquids alone ... been quite a few people to do that. There was a man who had been injured during WWI. Abdominal would that required much of his gut to be removed. He lived on tea and cream for something like 60 years. Been many others but I do not know if they had optimum health from that. Many people survive without doing what would be optimal for health.
I personally love juicing and like it as a mainstay of my diet. I also love a great big salad or eating a crunchy apple. Don't tink I would want to live the rest of my live without biting ito a fresh pear. That's just me ... maybe just or this part of my lifeline too. Whow knows what tomorrow will bring.

Date: January 06, 2010 05:50PM

gorillawar Wrote:
> ....... Don't think I would want
> to live the rest of my live without biting into a
> fresh pear. That's just me ... maybe just or this
> part of my lifeline too. Who knows what tomorrow
> will bring.
That's right....it's our own personal Evolution that God
(still small voice) has allowed us to glimpse. The ball is now in
our Court. We have been given a great responsibility. Grab that ball
and dribble it. Mine is saying "Juice, Juice, Juice". What is yours
saying?...Garlic and Onions?......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2010 06:35PM

Grab a copy of the China Study if you havn't already. It has some really convincing evidence that fiber is extremely important. I agree that there is a time and place for juicing, even exclusively as in a feast, but we need fiber to bind toxins for removal.

Date: January 07, 2010 07:56PM

jamesdbll Wrote:
> .....but we need fiber to bind toxins for removal.
But my 'voice' says "Juice, Juice, Juice".....WY

"Tell me I can't do something, and watch me do it"....Marianne Williamson

Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 08, 2010 03:59PM

jamesdbll Wrote:
> Grab a copy of the China Study if you havn't
> already. It has some really convincing evidence
> that fiber is extremely important. I agree that
> there is a time and place for juicing, even
> exclusively as in a feast, but we need fiber to
> bind toxins for removal.

I'm not an expert on these issues, but my understanding has been that soluble fiber has the function of binding and removing all kinds of fatty acids molecule-by-molecule, while the insoluble fiber functions more like a broom, sweeping out the refuse in a less careful way.

Juice will not have any measurable amount of insoluble fiber, but it should be chock-full of the soluble fiber.

Conventional wisdom prescribes ample amounts of both types of fiber. A liquid diet would result in a lot less residue that needs pushing through the system, and so less need for insoluble fiber. It's a leap to say that a liquid diet is so clean that the insoluble fiber becomes completely unnecessary, and I don't know the answer.

It might be a good idea, after several months of a liquid diet to schedule a colon hydrotherapy session. It might help determine whether there is any slow build-up of wastes that the soluble fiber is unable to deal with. Even if there are, it wouldn't necessarily follow that a liquidarian diet is to be avoided, but it would be good to know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables