Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do I have to order Vita-Mix directly from supplier and have it shipped?
Posted by: ShineSeek ()
Date: January 15, 2010 04:51AM

Hi everyone, I'm about to stock up on raw prep equipment, the good stuff. I'm investing in a Vita-Mix blender and a Champion juicer. What I'm wondering is this: can I find a store retailer in my area??? Or must I order them from the company website and have them shipped???

Thanks so much,
ShineSeek*~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do I have to order Vita-Mix directly from supplier and have it shipped?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 15, 2010 02:59PM

Both the Vitamix and Champion juicer are specialty items, so you can sometimes find them in stores, but they aren't always easy to find. I think my aunt bought her Vitamix at Costco in St Louis, but I don't know whether it's an item they regularly carry.

In addition to regular kitchen stores, you could try calling restaurant equipment supply stores in your area. Restaurant owners are more likely to make the investment in an industrial strength blender.

Many places may be willing to special-order equipment for you too, but I don't know if you would find that any better than buying online yourself.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: January 15, 2010 04:17PM

They have demos at various stores where you can buy it. Though often they still ship it to you. You can get better deals on-line anyhow. Back when I bought it, I didn't know about other options and paid much more at a demo.

Example:
[secure.vitamix.com]

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 15, 2010 04:38PM

I just wanted to see what Vita-Mix Corp. would charge, so I put in a dummy order.
It was $449 for the base model, $25 Shipping, and $33 Tax, bringing the total to $507.....WY

Date: January 15, 2010 06:45PM

Thank you so much for the info!!! I really appreciate it. It's definately more convienent for me to order online, I was just concerned about the Shipping and Handling- $25 isn't too outrageous.

So a Vita-Mix and a Champion are on my list. Do you think I still need a food processor if I have a Vita-Mix???

Thanks so much

ShineSeek~*

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 15, 2010 07:06PM

the food processor does lots of other jobs really well that you wouldnt do in a vitamix (such as ) chopping or shredding mass quantities of material for salads

if that is not something you would do or dont mind hand chopping then i wouldnt worry about the Processor till later smiling smiley

Personally i find mine invaluable, but good ones with lots of attatchment options arent terribly cheap , much like the rest of our equipment smiling smiley

but hey at least you know you wont have to replace an expensive stove anytime soon down the road smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 15, 2010 07:39PM

I consider my food processor to be an important part of my raw kitchen, even beside my high speed blender. The high speed blender is capable of some very impressive feats, but it's not as well suited to chopping and mixing in low-liquid situations as the blender.

Here's one of my favorite food processor recipes. This is my best standby for bringing a dish to events with non-raw non-vegetarians. It goes over well with raw vegans and people who think fruit and veggies are bleah.

=================================================================

Chocolate-Banana Pie

Crust:
1 3/4 c. almonds
3/4 c. fresh or dry dates - dry dates should be soaked at least an hour

Filling:
3-4 bananas
4 small or 3 large avocados
1 t vanilla
3/4 c. raw cocoa powder
1/4 c. raw carob powder
sprinkle of salt

Crust:
If you have time to soak the almonds, be sure allow time for them to drip dry, or else towel dry them. Too much water can keep the crust from sticking together.

With the S blade in place, process a handful of the almonds into powder. Transfer the powder to the bottom of your non-metal pie plate. Later, this powder will help the crust not to stick. Add the rest of the almonds to the food processor, and blend into a coarse meal. Add the dates, removing pits if necessary. Continue to process until the dates are well blended. The dates and almonds should naturally form a dough. Remove the dough, and spread it into your pie plate, pressing it into a pie shell.

Filling:
Slice the bananas directly into the pie shell.

Add all other filling ingredients to the food processor (still with the S blade), and blend into a smooth mousse. Pour the mousse over the banana slices, smoothing and spreading it with a rubber spatula.

If time allows, put the pie UNCOVERED into the fridge for several hours or overnight. This will encourage the surface of the mousse to set a bit.

=============================================================

This recipe is adapted from the original in The Raw Food Gourmet by Gabrielle Chavez. The original recipe called for equal amounts cocoa and carob, but I found that many people found the carob flavor too intrusive at that ratio. At the current ratio, it is more subtle, but adds a nice earthiness to the mousse.

Date: January 15, 2010 11:49PM

Thank you Frances and Jgunn!! Everyone has been so helpful on filling me in about equipment. I would rather get the good ones and have them last then cut corners. I'm finally in a place where I can invest on a nice blender, dehydrator, food processor, and champion. Soooo exciting!

-ShineSeek*~

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: January 16, 2010 09:13PM

Shop around online and you will find Vitamix retailers with free shipping. That's what I did. You don't have to buy directly from the manufacturer to have the same warranties, etc.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2010 08:35PM

What about the Health Master? I heard that was a knock off for the Vitamix but works about as good, is that true? I have a cheapie blender. I do have a Breville Juicer and I LOVE it but I think I really could use a good blender, etc. I am very new to this raw foods thing.

Date: January 17, 2010 09:05PM

plainlydressed- thanks for the info, you saved me some $$. [vegweb.com]

Date: January 18, 2010 12:18AM

behler23 - I was also curious about the Healthmaster and got some really BAD reviews on the product and a bad warranty too, I think. Do a search on this forum about the Healthmaster to find the threads. I think I started one myself awhile back to ask about the product and was immediately convinced against it.

ShineSeek - I'm so glad to help. Keep us posted when you get the blender. Mine is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, I think, and I'm SO EXCITED !!! Can't wait to try this "magical" machine for the first time. smiling smiley

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: January 19, 2010 01:46AM

YAY!!! I will probably be ordering mine by this weekend. (Waiting on some $$$ to come through)

Lets keep in touch!

~*ShineSeek

Date: January 20, 2010 05:26AM

Rebecca,
I purchased a Vitamix Vita-Prep 3 Blender (listed under their commercial products)in January 08 after exhausting research and forum hopping. I chose the Vita-Prep 3 because it has a 3hp motor and is a commercial grade product. It comes with only a 3 year warranty because of that, but I will never put it through the stress that a real kitchen would. While perfectly suitable for the home blending needs of a Raw foodist or smoothie nut, the (domestic line) 5200 series have smaller 2hp motors...plus I always over do everything. You can purchase the 5200's direct on payments or if you have a Costco near by they sometimes are for sale at live demo setups. I paid 460.00 delivered (in 1/08) from a commercial equipment vendor on ebay (they are still there:Item number:200425134616 @ 479.00 delivered). I have blended everything you can imagine in this blender and it keeps rockin', it has NEVER balked at anything!
I have refined my favorite recipe and drink this all the time (mostly every day)pardon the shortened url to my google doc here: [bit.ly]

I have an older Omega 4000 Juicer and never use it as my opinion of juicing has changed over the past 5 years. If I bought another one I would probably get the Greenstar for wheatgrass. I think once you have a vitamix, you will curtail your juicing, I know I did
Be Well,
Vince

Date: January 21, 2010 04:31PM

I think that just about every rawfood site has a link to order on the site, so they would get a commission and maybe freee ship.

Date: January 22, 2010 06:04PM

ShineSeek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YAY!!! I will probably be ordering mine by this
> weekend. (Waiting on some $$$ to come through)
>
> Lets keep in touch!
>
> ~*ShineSeek

Mine came Tuesday night and I've only had time to make 2 Green smoothies with it twice for work, but so far it's AMAZING !!!!!!!! First of all, the POWER scared me to death, and it's HUGE !!! It has the 64oz blender carafe and it's................. H U G E !!!! A big learning curve with it and definitely helpful to watch the DVD that comes with the package.

I used to have to make 2 separate batches for 2 qts of green smoothies for my work day, but I was able to make 2 whole qts with some to spare for hubby yesterday morning and they are SMOOOOOOOOTH !!!!!!!! HORRAY !!!!! I'm so excited!!!

I'm anxious to experiment with it to make cooked vegan food like soups and sauces for some of my vegan (not raw) family coming to visit next weekend. What a time-saver to whip-up a soup or a gravy sauce. My mom sent me a good recipe for a vegan Alfredo Sauce to use with steamed broccoli and pasta, so I might play around with that to feed my company next weekend.

I'm SO EXCITED and already love this thing!!! Keep me posted when you get your's!!! Oh, and the cookbook is also really cool! It has a whole "RAW" section!!!!! smiling smiley

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: January 23, 2010 04:08PM

It is good to order the blender directly from the supplier. I'm an affiliate for them - if you use my affiliate number 06-004793 you will get free shipping.

Check out my websites "Basics and Essentials" page for more information about products. The best sources will yield the best result for you, and this truly is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Basics and Essentials for Healthy Living
[www.worldredress.com]

Best of health to all!
Cat Erickson

Date: February 04, 2010 04:39PM

Hi everyone.. I'm new here, lurked for a long long time a long time ago.. I'm back..

I'm on a budget, has anyone bought the vitamax on a payment plan from anywhere?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 04, 2010 05:51PM

vitamix on their site has a 3 payment plan and you get the machine right away [www.vitamix.com]

Make your first payment and receive your Vitamix machine right away upon credit approval.

Last two payments are automatically charged
to your credit card 30 and 60 days later!

•IT'S EASY!
•IT'S CONVENIENT!
•IT'S HASSLE FREE!

7 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL NEW MACHINES

Yes! I want to make 3 easy payments on my credit card for my Vitamix® machine
Click here for a Payment Form!

PLEASE CALL 1-800-848-2649 Press 1
TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR 3-PAYMENT PLAN

M-F 8am - 10pm, Sat 9am - 8pm, Sun 12pm - 5pm (EST).

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables