Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Yam Juice
Posted by: ShineSeek ()
Date: January 28, 2010 01:52AM

Everyone-

My colon hydrotherapist suggested this and I just tried it today.

Peel the skin off of yams and put them through your Champion juicer.

The juice is sooo subtle sweet yummy.

You'll love it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yam Juice
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 31, 2010 12:16PM

I've been reading that some 'true yams' are sweeter than sweet potatoes and can be eaten raw. In Japan they have a raw true yam dish. This article says it's mainly the bitter varieties that may have toxins--

Nutrition for Yams
Some varieties of Yams, namely the bitter ones, can be toxic if eaten raw.
[www.practicallyedible.com]

Sweet potatoes are called yams where I live. I juice lots of sweet potato when it's in season.

Date: February 01, 2010 12:05PM

ShineSeek,
You might have missed the recent discussion on whether 'true' yams were alright to eat raw... anyway I picked up a true yam, labeled yellow yam grown in Jamaica, and tried a bite and found it can be eaten raw as a salad vegetable according to the FAO --

Yellow Yam-- (Dioscorea cayenensis)

[www.jamaica-gleaner.com]

"BRIEF DESCRIPTION A vine with a 10-12 m long, cylindrical, spiny stem and broad leaves. The tuber flesh is usually yellow. USES The tubers are baked, boiled, roasted, fried, or used raw as a salad vegetable. ... COMMON NAMES Yellow yam, Guinea yam, Yellow Guinea yam, Twelve months yam, Igname guineo, Igname jaune, Igname pays negre, Hame amarillo, Name Guinea, Affun yam, Attoto yam, Cara de para, Congo amarillo, Mapuey morado, Name negro, Affoo, Affou, Cut-and-come-again yam, Yam a tout tan."

[ecocrop.fao.org]

They have a crunch to them like water chestnuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 12:19PM by loeve.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 11, 2010 06:57PM

throw in some cinnamon and nutmeg!!
Pumpkin pie juice!!!!
YUM!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 12, 2010 12:48AM

rawnr:

Great idea! I'm gonna try it tomorrow! smiling smiley

Posted by: cy ()
Date: February 13, 2010 02:44AM

i use raw yam for my sinus.it is amazing.just blend it and put it on your face,the yam will take everything from your bad sinus.you can use it on molls too,anything.the root of the yam sucks everything.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 13, 2010 05:10PM

Help me out here. I bought something called yams which looked on the outside like sweet potato but inside were light coloured, a light yellow. As soon as I cut them open they began to turn black. Has anyone else noticed this? They were firm & fresh.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 13, 2010 10:00PM

I was under the impression that yams are a different species, even though their taste and appearance is similar to sweet potatoes. I am wondering if the latter should even be juiced. I know that wild yams (at least the extract) are used for women's' hormonal issues, but...If anyone knows about the differences/similarities, please post!

Date: February 14, 2010 01:08PM

> Help me out here. I bought something called yams
> which looked on the outside like sweet potato but
> inside were light coloured, a light yellow. As
> soon as I cut them open they began to turn black.
> Has anyone else noticed this? They were firm &
> fresh.

There are so many similar looking root veggies, it's hard to say. A true yam I bought recently came with a black cut end. It was a section of yam root. When cut and stored it would soon turn black again.

If bought in the US and labeled just 'Yam' it should be a true yam. Sweet potatoes labeled 'Yam' in the US should also carry the label 'Sweet Potato'. It's an odd US thing.

The variety of true yam I bought is edible raw and is crunchy like water chestnut. It can be juiced but is not sweet at all. The juice is slick, like something that would feel nice to slather on your skin like cy mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 01:13PM by loeve.

Date: February 14, 2010 05:19PM

Thank you for all your info, loeve.

Date: February 23, 2010 02:03AM

Horsea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Help me out here. I bought something called yams
> which looked on the outside like sweet potato but
> inside were light coloured, a light yellow. As
> soon as I cut them open they began to turn black.
> Has anyone else noticed this? They were firm &
> fresh.

Do you mean like the common yellow variety of sweet potato pictured below next to the orange? How was it?

Date: February 24, 2010 05:24PM

Oh, no. It was, I am pretty sure, a true yam. Dioscorea species, to the best of my knowledge. A nice light yellow interior. Definitely not the standard sweet potato that you posted.

I don't understand why it was so very quick to start oxidizing when I sliced it open. I've never seen this happen before with a true yam. In any event, I did cook and eat it as I am only 50% raw in my diet + I have family who would never eat a raw tuber!

Hope you or someone can help me out. I would like to be able to shred and eat this food RAW but if it's going to start going black the moment I slice it open, well I don't know if that's a good idea.

Date: February 25, 2010 12:43PM

Well, I know with potatoes you can quarter them for planting as long as you allow them to heal their cut edges. I juiced a true Jamaican yam and didn't notice any oxidizing, though a stored section quickly turned black but only on the cut area and just a thin layer. I cooked some too.

Date: February 25, 2010 03:55PM

Thanks for telling me this, loeve. Hey, do you garden? I do! I don't cut my potatoes, though. I plant them whole and the bigger the seed the better!

Date: February 26, 2010 12:46PM

"Hey, do you garden?"

I do, Horsea. I plant the whole potato too but this year might halve some of the larger of my purple variety to make more plants from last falls harvest. They are easy and fun to grow. I'm a good forager too and have a centrifugal juicer that will grind up and juice just about anything, though it's not heavy duty and complains quite a bit.

Date: February 26, 2010 05:14PM

Loeve, what sorts of things do you forage? Me, I find myself eating the weeds whilst weeding the garden. We have nettles coming up in the garden, also, but needless to say, they are cooked first!

What part of the world do you live in? I guess I should be yakking about gardening in another part of the forum!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 26, 2010 06:43PM

"I yam what I yam" Exodus 3:14. Biblical support for yam juice.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 26, 2010 07:17PM

pborst Wrote:
> "I yam what I yam" Exodus 3:14. Biblical support
> for yam juice.
Yam Juice has become a hot topic here.
How about Robin Williams as "Popeye".

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 28, 2010 01:33PM

"How about Robin Williams as "Popeye"

I seem to remember Popeye saying "I am what I am", and Robin Williams certainly captured the character in the movie which I saw years ago. Hm, never associated it with Exodus 3:14 "I am 'that' I am", that's deep! The cartoon Popeye always seemed to have a can of spinach around and could open one no hands and blindfolded, ha-ha, good times watching toons saturday mornings growing up.

Horsea, I'm in the northeast, US, and forage for berries, dandelions, seaweed and seawater for making sea salt. How about you?

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: February 28, 2010 02:21PM

anytime you cut a fruit or veggie and you want to prevent oxidation, aka discoloration, like with potatoes, or apples for instance, simply toss them immediately in something containing a high level of anti-oxidants. Citrus fruits work well as they also make foods taste good. My mom would always toss fruit in orange juice for instance. Lemon juice works well too.

Date: March 01, 2010 10:50PM

Yes, I use lemon juice to prevent oxidation, but the yam turns black the moment I slice thru it. I am not exaggerating.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: April 13, 2010 04:28PM

Horsea Wrote:
> Yes, I use lemon juice to prevent oxidation, but
> the yam turns black the moment I slice thru it. I
> am not exaggerating.

I suggest you try a different knife. There may be a chemical reaction with the makeup of the metal.

flash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables