Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

vitamix? Blendtec? Trying to figure out which one to buy.
Posted by: serenad ()
Date: February 01, 2010 05:25PM

I have heard many good things about the vitamix but when doing my research I also found a lot of good thing son the blendtec. Anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vitamix? Blendtec? Trying to figure out which one to buy.
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 01, 2010 11:21PM

First, there is a lot of subjectiveness and personal preference in the decision. And it would be optimal if you could look and blend in both machines before making a decision. But you may not have that option. I think first of all you are right to narrow the decision between them. The popular mechanics video was neither transparent (i.e. operator error) or convincing. But to get down to brass tax as it were, there is something of a general consensus on some of the tradeoffs between them and hearsay on the rest. I will try to provide both with the following disclaimer: I bought the Blendtec HP3A with a 96 ounce carafe for $365 which I regarded as a steal then and still do and don't regret my decision. But though I bought Blendtec, does not mean that Vitamix might not be the better choice for you!! Here are some things in favor of a Blendtec HP3a and a Vitamix 5200 (roughly comparable models) or disads.

In favor of the Vitamix.

- warranty Vitamix 7 years, Blendtec 1 year (coupling blade lifetime)
- variable speed control Blendtec's is pre-programmed note: this if more of a perference than an ad/disad
- tamper (i.e. push down device), Blendtec doesn't provide one claiming they don't need it. they're wrong. I own and still defend Blendtec but a tamper would have been helpful.
- height, this is usually a negative for Vitamix vis-a-vis more difficult to store under the counter, but many Vitamix owners will tell you this is not a problem either because it store neatly or it's use and is gently stored away. The advantage of height I mentioned is less spillage. The Blendtec 96 ounce carafe while versatile and easy to clean can make a mess when the contents overflow the top. Vitamix is taller and has a more secure lid.

In Blendtec's favor

- shear power. 3 horse power vs. 2
- greater capacity, bought a 96 ounce carafe Blendtec HP3A. 96 ounce vs. 64 for any Vitamix for residential use. It's 1/3 more
- value. Paid $365 from 2live.com for a Blendtec HP3A with a 96 ounce carafe. Over $80 less than any comparable usually less Vitamix. Had to go to a used refurbished Vitamix to get close. Wasn't worth it.
- ease of cleaning, the Blendtech 96 ounce carafe is miles ahead of the Vitamix in terms of cleaning. The blade is 2 prong vs. 4. the carafe is square vs. round and narrower. The Blendtec is easier to clean.

so, which one to buy? Recommend if you can look at both at a "meet up" at meetup.com. Think about the factors and make your move. No question either way you go, you will have a great blender! But make no mistake, they are very different! Best!

Paul

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 02, 2010 12:10PM

I have been considering each of these for several months & have gone back & forth on both of them. I lean more towards the V-Mix simply because of the microprocessor "brain" in the Blendtec;

I am not at all sold on the idea of a computer controlled blender. When the computer chip fails & I am sitting there with a $300 + out of warranty useless paperweight, then what?

Sometimes the old ways are better...not really bashing the Blendtec, just pointing out something that I am personally concerned with, and an issue that I will factor into my decision.

As an aside, I am also considering the Waring models, the ones that are similar to the V-Mix in design. They are a bit cheaper, I don't know how they will hold up in the long run.

Still on the fence, need to do more research...

Date: February 02, 2010 06:11PM

Thanks so much! I have been trying to do my own research but of course this is not very easy. Working full time and going to school so not as much time for research. Thanks so much for the information! I do belong to 2 meetup groups but the one closest to me always has meetups which are above my price range. I will keep an eye out. Trying to hold off on just buying before I really know which one I want. :-)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 02, 2010 09:09PM

I am new to this and after doing the research decided to go with the Vita-Mix 5200.
I ordered Monday around noon direct from VM and was told 7-10 days for delivery, I woke up the next morning to a shipment confirmation and am now expecting it any minute. (I'm one state over from OH so that helps).
Everything else being equal, the 7 year warranty was huge for me. The way I look at it I will have a guaranteed use of a great blender for about $5.36 a month.

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: February 02, 2010 09:47PM

You will not be disappointed, the vitamix is truly amazing!!! have fun smiling smiley

Date: February 03, 2010 11:38PM

We have decided to go with the vitamix as well. Now time to try to find a good deal on one! anyone know of the best place to get it?

Date: February 10, 2010 04:16AM

If you want the Vitamix 4500, I'd suggest Discountjuicers.com That's John Kohler's site, the founder of this forum. It would be $399 & free shipping. If you want the 5200 (adds variable speed control vs. 4500 which just has high/low plus 7 years on the warranty vs 5 for the 4500), I'd suggest 2-life.com. I don't think John sells the 5200, just the 4500. But I could be mistaken. If it makes a difference, the 5200 also comes in red, black or white. 4500 just black or white. Refurbished Vitamixes have been reported for as low as $280. Don't have a site though. Might try Craigslist.org.

Paul

Date: February 12, 2010 01:02AM

Thanks so much for the information!

Posted by: PrescottAZ ()
Date: February 13, 2010 07:09AM

I bought the VitaPrep3 and I am very happy with it. I use it almost everyday. I am glad I bought it.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: February 27, 2010 10:54PM

I owned a blendtec i bought and i loved it. I now own a vitamix 5200, and I love it also.
I feel there are a couple main points you should think about.
Are you the type of person that likes digital buttons and auto functions??
the blendtex is awesome in the fact that it is digital and each button has not only different speeds, but the blender actually has different sequences of speeds. Like on the smoothie function it starts slow and builds up speed, then it drops back down because it helps it mix, etc.
I have heard people dislike the blendtec due to it being digital, for other folks that is WHY love it.
I am an analog type of person, so i fell for the vitamix. Now before i owned the vitamix i was curious about blendtec's claims that it is more powerful than the vitamix. IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
i know this from experience. I sold my blendtec to a friend, as i felt it redundant to own two. I MISS MY BLENDTEC SO BAD ! ! ! !
that bad boy was SOOOO powerful, not that the vitamix isn't, but i can clearly tell how much longer it takes my vitamix to grind each and every blackberry seed in a smoothie or pie filling. Blackberry seeds,raspberry seeds are the true test in my opinion. In the blendtec they were gone quicker.
Okay, another MAJOR point is the fact that the vitamix comes with the beautiful tamper rod. If only Blendtec would give in and hide their ego, and have a dang tamper. They would RULE the industry. But as it is, vitamix has a tamper, blendtec claims you don't need one, and believe me, i feel them. As their blenders are so powerful is does reduce the need for the tamper, though it does not remove the need for the tamper.
I rarely use the tamper, but keep in mind i am a smoothie master, and Mainly use my blender for green smoothies. Now if you are the type of person who is going to use the blender for food a lot also, like hummus, almond butter, pie, etc, then i highly reccomend a vitamix. Because i promise you will long for a tamper which is vital with some stuff to make it at all.
Imagine trying to put 5 frozen SOLID bananas into a blender with no liquid, and turn it into sorbet. Yep, as you can imagine i wouldn't even attempt it in the blendtec. well, I would, but i'd use a wooden spoon or something and end up with wood in my sorbet.

Are you an analog or digital person???
will you use/love the tamper???
do you really NEED that extra 1/2 horsepower???
7 year warranty vs 3 year warranty ????
350 bucks or 500 bucks???????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 10:59PM by RAWLION.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 27, 2010 11:23PM

RAWLION....Very nice report!!
I own a Vita-Prep 3 (by Vita-Mix) and never need the Tamper for
my Green Smoothies. The secret, of course, is to use enough
water; but not too much.
Yes, those bananas in any blender would need a Tamper....maybe
a Blendtec with the 96-ounce Carafe, and 4 inch Blade, could
handle it.
I bought a Blentec once, and didn't like the digital buttons.
Give me the manual dial of the Vita-Mix anytime.....WY

Date: February 28, 2010 07:15PM

Have you looked at this video?
Blendtec Blender Vs. Vitamix Blender, episode #316

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 01, 2010 12:56AM

3po Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you looked at this video?
> Blendtec Blender Vs. Vitamix Blender, episode
> #316
Yes....that's the big carafe I was talking about. I think
anything would blend in it....without adding water, or using
a Tamper.....WY
P.S. I don't know what she sees in him.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 01, 2010 05:33PM

I am hopefully very soon making this purchase. (finally) On the tamper; I really don't know if it is all that necessary. I see people using them in the videos, and also rocking the blenders around on their bases, which should be unnecessary.

Right now I have an old 700 watt Braun. It has a triangular shaped carafe, I believe it is close to 50 oz. I have been doing a lot of smoothie making over the past few months & have found that with an adequate water amount in the carafe

it works just fine at blending everything without rocking it or using a tamper. What I do is pulse it a few times when I first start the blending & that gets everything drawn down into the blade & from there it is all liquid.

Having said all that, I am still not sure which unit I will be purchasing, but it will be a "simpler" model to be sure. In other words, not one that has a "brain". I don't like kitchen appliances that are smarter than me! grinning smiley

Posted by: Maritza ()
Date: March 07, 2010 11:16PM

Hi Paul,
your response was very thorough... and I would love either one but can't afford the $450 price tag. I wanted to ask you... what about the Vitamix Turboblend 4500 Counter Top Blender. I guess its an older model. I found it for $337. Is that still good to get? and is that a good price for older model?
I am a new aspiring raw foodist. Just so you know. smiling smiley I know nothing. smiling smiley))

Date: March 08, 2010 03:05AM

Maritza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Paul,
> your response was very thorough... and I would
> love either one but can't afford the $450 price
> tag. I wanted to ask you... what about the
> Vitamix Turboblend 4500 Counter Top Blender. I
> guess its an older model. I found it for $337.
> Is that still good to get? and is that a good
> price for older model?
> I am a new aspiring raw foodist. Just so you
> know. smiling smiley I know nothing. smiling smiley))

Martiza,

Caveat. I don't own Vitamix and so can't speak to performance of the 4500 vs. 5200 first hand. A 4500 in theory should perform as well, the main difference being the absence of variable speed control and a 5 year warranty vs. 7 years. $337 for a new 4500 sounds like a good deal if it is a new model and the carafe is BPA free (BPA is a toxic chemical additive used until recently in plastic bottles, you want a BPA free carafe or don't buy it at any price!). As I mentioned above Discountjuicers has them for $399. So make yours is new and BPA free and then as long as you understand the tradeoffs, I'd say go for it. For me personally, if I were buying a Vitamix, I agree with Wheatgrass Yogi on the other thread, I'd save the extra $100 and pop for the 5200. Having variable speed control is a huge advantage. But if it really isn't in your budget, than yes to a 4500 over other blender brands (beside Vita Mix or Blendtec).

Edited: with coupon, 2-life.com is selling the 4500, new, for $325. If you decide to purchase there, again, call and make sure the carafe is BPA-free before you buy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 03:11AM by pborst.

Date: March 08, 2010 10:40AM

thanks so much Paul. I totally see what you are saying. I think I am going to have to find the extra $100 bucks... and actually... I want the Blendtec anyway. I only was considering the Vitamix because the cheaper older model. LOL
damn it! I can't believe I want to spend $450 on a blender!! my husband is going to think I am nuts!! HA!!
thanks again!

Date: March 08, 2010 03:41PM

Can't go wrong with a Blendtec. Get the 3 quart carafe (96 oz) if you can. And again BPA free. Good luck.

Date: March 09, 2010 12:17PM

I did it! I got the Blendtec today! and its my birthday so I figured... why not?!!! can't wait till it arrives!

Date: March 30, 2010 12:47PM

Have only had the Vitamix. My mother bought me one when I was in my 20's. I am now going on 65 and have had that very same blender for all this time. I am sending it back for a trade in this month. She bought me another one. She is 92.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables