Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wheatgrass juice issues/questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2010 06:40PM

Hi everyone, total newb here to all of this. I'm a carnivore trying to change his ways. Problem is eating fruits and veg has never been a pleaser for me because I was raised by wolves (not literally, but close enough) - I figured juicing/blending GOOD foods and drinking them would be my best bet. Lurked around, did my research and got a Blendtec total blender with the 4" blade... Tried grapes, apples, etc, etc.. fine.

As I continued to research and want more (and to be and feel better) I came upon "GREEN" juices, powders, ice cubes, etc.. I first bought an organic wheatgrass powder which is fine, can actually feel something when I drink it - but it's kind of gritty, not really disolving 100% it seems. Then I picked up Sun "A" Chlorella granules, Orac-Energy Greens and some wheat grass ice cubes..

I like the cubes, but they're EXPENSIVE as anything.. no grit, nice and smooth. The orac-energy greens I can feel something when I drink as well, I haven't worked up to the multi-pack of the sun "A" chlorella, so I can't say for sure with it.

FINALLY I found some REAL wheat grass in a store (what a hunt) - first attempt at juicing it, it just wrapped around the post beneath the blade of my blendtec and made a heck of a racket... I wrote them asking them how to juice it (wasn't sure if I could since it seems there are wheatgrass specific juicers) and they said do it with "enough" liquid. In addition to that, I cut the grass short to help it along. Kinda foamy but otherwise it seemed okay, not as smooth as what was produced using the cubes.

SO, I'm reaching out to those of you who have travelled the path before me in hopes I can come up with some power green / wheatgrass juice / something combo that will not only get me running like a top, but also (hopefully) not break the bank, the blender or the enjoyable experience of drinking something that actually isn't horrible tasting smiling smiley

I thank you kindly!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass juice issues/questions
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 06, 2010 12:02AM

OhThatNewb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone, total newb here to all of this.
You don't sound like a Newbie. I wonder who you are? I can eliminate all the women because no woman would play such a 'game'. I had one person in mind, but your Grammar is too good for him. I had someone else in mind, but you're too knowledgeable for him. Identify yourself to me in a PM. I promise I won't tell. LOL.
By the way, juicing Wheatgrass in a Blender, or Centrifugal, is a no-go. Single-augers are best, as you know.
Keep posting. It does add a little spice to this dreary Forum......WY

Date: March 06, 2010 03:02AM

No wonder this place isn't active enough to have a sufficient answer to my question/issue when you are so "welcoming" to newcomers..

Strange, I'd expect better - especially toward such a situation as mine from someone who calls themself "Wheatgrass Yogi".

This seemed like a higher conciousness community, but I guess I was reading the wrong posts by other people.

Sorry to disappoint you, sport. My name is Dennis, I live in New England, and I genuinely do NOT have the slightest clue about wheatgrass, or "single augers - as I know" - which is why I took the time to join this forum and present my situation.

So, you're not as smart as you think you are - probably smart enough to have helped me with my situation, but apparently too much of a jackass to allow yourself to do it. Thanks for the warm welcome spunky... it's people like you who keep people like me from learning and evolving. I appreciate it.

Date: March 06, 2010 03:47AM

OhThatNewb Wrote:
> Sorry to disappoint you, sport. My name is Dennis,
> I live in New England, and I genuinely do NOT have
> the slightest clue about wheatgrass, or "single
> augers - as I know" - which is why I took the time
> to join this forum and present my situation.
My apologies!! We get so many people here making their
'first post', I just assumed you were pulling-my-leg, as many have
done in the past....especially when you mentioned Sun "A" Chlorella.
I doubt if anyone here, at any of the Forums, know how valuable this
can be as a dietary supplement. How could you be a Newbie and know that?
And you didn't disappoint me. I wasn't sure how you would react, if
at all. How does it feel to talk to me the way you did?.....WY

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 06, 2010 04:17AM

Whoa, there. Deep breath. Again. Better? If not, count to ten.
Alright, can we just start over here?

Dennis/OhThatNewb, welcome to this site. We're glad to have you here. I don't know anything about your questions, but hope you'll continue to post.

WY, seems like an honest mistake, originally written with humour. Now, maybe you (or someone else) have (has) a suggestion for "some power green / wheatgrass juice / something combo that will not only get (OhThatNewb) running like a top, but also (hopefully) not break the bank, the blender or the enjoyable experience of drinking something that actually isn't horrible tasting" as he wrote?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: March 06, 2010 04:54AM

Trive Wrote:
> WY, seems like an honest mistake, originally
> written with humour. Now, maybe you (or someone
> else) have (has) a suggestion for "some power
> green / wheatgrass juice / something combo that
> will not only get (OhThatNewb) running like a top,
> but also (hopefully) not break the bank
Trive.....Thanks for stepping between us. Yes, I was trying to
be humorous, while paying OhThatNewb a compliment. It's easy for me
to 'Open Mouth-Insert Foot' which I do quite often.
I've seen your posts at many of the Forums. You have a good Heart....WY
P.S. Frozen Wheatgrass juice and Powders are practically worthless. There's
nothing like fresh-squeezed.

Date: March 06, 2010 11:36AM

Thanks for the welcome Thrive smiling smiley

Alrighty then - Yogi, it seems you're gonna be "the one" (waving). I'll try to steer this in a self-serving way based on the tidbits within your writings....

A: "juicing Wheatgrass in a Blender, or Centrifugal, is a no-go. Single-augers are best"

Though I've heard the term "wheatgrass juicer" used, I was hoping it wasn't an entirely specialty thing. Since I spent.. oh.. nearly 500 beans on this blendtec (before I struck the potential gold of wheatgrass) I was hoping to either make it make do - OR, find something ridiculously cheap, yet effective for the job to be done well. Though my (in water) attempt, cutting the grass very short wasn't perfect, I'd call it something, kind of - I liken it to opening a can with a rock.. Not ideal by ANY means, but the can is open (though destroyed). I drank "juice" (if you can call it that) but was hoping for a better experience for myself and the wheatgrass.

B: I doubt if anyone here, at any of the Forums, know how valuable this
can be as a dietary supplement.

I doubt if *I* know either... about 15 minutes in a health food store and I had that package and the Paradise Orac-Energy greens in hand, based on what the packages said and ingredients were. I have no info/knowledge beyond that. And as I mentioned, I'm still taking it in 1 pack shots (I think they mention working it up to 3) and I really haven't seen/felt/experienced anything in my body (or even in the bathroom) [sorry, but that is how I have noticed SOME of these things "working" in my body] yet.

C: Frozen Wheatgrass juice and Powders are practically worthless. There's
nothing like fresh-squeezed.

There must be a line of health one would cross to make that statement true - it SEEMS to me, that if a person (like me) is starting from such a body, abused from decades of abuse from every angle and STILL not into a clean/healthy diet - even the worthless has its benefit(s). I'm in my 40's, overweight, horrible diet since practically birth, etc, etc.. This body has been put through its paces in all the wrong ways.. I genuinely do feel something, an energy of sorts after drinking any of my concoctions that I put the powders or cubes into. I also notice I'm not as hungry, my bathroom usage has increased 2-4 fold depending on the day - and a couple/few other things.

That's where I am so far. And in this world, I genuinely AM a newb. It's amazing what a couple hours of googling, a few simple purchases and experimenting in the kitchen can provide in education... even if it's mis-education winking smiley

Date: March 06, 2010 06:06PM

OhThatNewb Wrote:
> Though I've heard the term "wheatgrass juicer"
> used, I was hoping it wasn't an entirely specialty
> thing.
What has worked best for me is to have a separate Juicer
for Wheatgrass, Carrots, and Celery-Cucumber.
For many years I used an inexpensive Manual juicer (Back-to-Basics) for Wheatgrass until I 'graduated' to an electric model.
I've seen some of the plastic wheatgrass juicers for around $50.

[www.grainmills.com.au]

>.......Since I spent.. oh.. nearly 500 beans on
> this blendtec (before I struck the potential gold
> of wheatgrass) Very well put. When I first read about
Wheatgrass Juice, I knew instantly it was for me.

> I doubt if *I* know either... about 15 minutes in
> a health food store and I had that package and the
> Paradise Orac-Energy greens in hand, based on what
> the packages said and ingredients were. I have no
> info/knowledge beyond that. And as I mentioned,
> I'm still taking it in 1 pack shots (I think they
> mention working it up to 3) and I really haven't
> seen/felt/experienced anything in my body (or even
> in the bathroom) yet. Sun "A" Chlorella is about
$1 per serving, but worth the effort. Two servings a day would be
a good start.

> ......it SEEMS to me, that if
> a person (like me) is starting from such a body,
> abused from decades of abuse from every angle and
> STILL not into a clean/healthy diet - even the
> worthless has its benefit(s).
Nothing will be truly effective until you do a good
detox cleanse.

> That's where I am so far. And in this world, I
> genuinely AM a newb.
Yes, I see that now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.....WY

Date: March 06, 2010 07:03PM

> What has worked best for me is to have a separate
> Juicer
> for Wheatgrass, Carrots, and Celery-Cucumber.
> For many years I used an inexpensive Manual juicer
> (Back-to-Basics) for Wheatgrass until I
> 'graduated' to an electric model.
> I've seen some of the plastic wheatgrass juicers
> for around $50.

That was my concern - wish I found wheatgrass before I got the blendtec.. live and learn.. nice to see an inexpensive way to juice wheatgrass though.

>Very well put. When I first read
> about
> Wheatgrass Juice, I knew instantly it was for me.

I really wish I liked vegetables more.. but as of now, I just don't.. wheatgrass juice truly seems to be my answer, potent, seems everyone raves about it and I can easily tolerate taking it in. Win/win (I hope) smiling smiley

>Sun "A" Chlorella is about
> $1 per serving, but worth the effort. Two servings
> a day would be a good start.

The first day I did a half pack, 2nd and 3rd days 1 pack a piece.. I think I'll do the 2 packs today.

> Nothing will be truly effective until you do a good
> detox cleanse.

Oh no.. lol.. I felt like I've been detoxing.. you mean.. uhh.. umm.. there's MORE?! smiling smiley

> That's where I am so far. And in this world, I
> > genuinely AM a newb.
> Yes, I see that now. Sorry for the
> misunderstanding.....WY

Me too.. I will lift my 2 pack glass of chlorella for the day in honor of this.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 06, 2010 08:24PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> OhThatNewb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi everyone, total newb here to all of this.
> You don't sound like a Newbie. I wonder who you
> are? I can eliminate all the women because no
> woman would play such a 'game'. I had one person
> in mind, but your Grammar is too good for him. I
> had someone else in mind, but you're too
> knowledgeable for him. Identify yourself to me in
> a PM. I promise I won't tell. LOL.
> By the way, juicing Wheatgrass in a Blender, or
> Centrifugal, is a no-go. Single-augers are best,
> as you know.
> Keep posting. It does add a little spice to this
> dreary Forum......WY

LOL- what--did someone wake up on the wrong side of the organic-covered futon this morning?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 06, 2010 08:26PM

Newbie:

I am a bore on this, but I concur with WY about single augurs, LIKE MY OMEGA 8006 (I should get a commission, don't ya think???)!!! I haven't tried it on wheatgrass, but parsley loves to get squozen dry by that machine! And I hear you about the frozen wheatgrass...I am sure I have tried the same company and it's like $14 for the package. It doesn't seem anywhere near as potent as fresh wheat grass.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 07, 2010 08:24AM

OK, I am a recovering meat addict, and I have read a bunch of Vitoria Boutenko stuff. I am a green smoothie convert. Basically i have lost 115 pounds since sept 10th. I am doing this by focusing on green smoothies, wehatgrass, and anything raw vegan. My muscles are bigger than ever. They respond well to working out. Anyway, wheatgrass is awesome yes, but not vital. all that same nutrition can be done in one or two green smoothies everyday, and that blendtec is PERFECT for just that. you can even put whole wheatgrass into your green smoothies even. you should look up some victoria boutenko recipes, they are crucial to your detoxing. I was a toxic waste dump last year. and man, the greens have saved me. I blend fruits, greens and water generally. then i use maybe like a tablespoon of flax oil in their or half an avocado. but mainly the key is to stick to fruit, greens(kale,spinach,wheatgrass,parsley,chard,cilantro,etc.) and water.
it is the ultimate human food, and it is what you are looking for. this is the path that is opening up for you my man. the secret to human nutrition. leaves, are what we don't eat enough of and what we need.
Also, you can make ghetto wheatgrass juice with your blender, but you just want to add a bit of water, and blend it hard, then pour through a paint strainer, or cheesecloth to filter the fiber out. like i said, its ghetto, but it works. All that same goodness is right there waiting for ya in kale. just use your blendtec to molecularize the nutrients, and enjoy! check out victoria boutenko. she studied chimps, whom we share 94 % of our dna sequences with. They eat like half greens for their diet. we don't. they have great wild health, we don't.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: March 08, 2010 03:49AM

Banana Who: squozen.. ROCKS! smiling smiley

Rawlion: Thanks for dropping that name, found an associated website with some smoothie recipes and other useful info - I appreciate it. What amazing results you have gotten, big respect!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables