Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blendtec Tamper
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 09, 2010 02:48AM

Those of you who own a Blendtec, might be interested
in this wood Tamper.....WY

[www.3blenders.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blendtec Tamper
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 10, 2010 11:24PM

I was wondering if you could just use some narrow object or simply use a silicon spatula (after taking off lid) if contents are jammed up. The need for a tamper seemed a bit unnecessary...

Date: March 10, 2010 11:47PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering if you could just use some narrow
> object or simply use a silicon spatula (after
> taking off lid) if contents are jammed up.
Yes, of course.
The need for a tamper seemed a bit unnecessary...
Tampers have a 'stop' so you can use them with the contents
spinning, simply by taking out the top plug. Your method would
require you to stop the blender, for safety. Plus, it doesn't
always work...WY

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 11, 2010 01:00AM

Yes, I realize that you'd have to stop it and open the thing, but that wouldn't bother me, especially since it's so powerful it's only on briefly.

Date: March 11, 2010 03:01AM

This 5 Blenders comparison test by Popular Mechanics
shows the $150 KitchenAid coming out on top. Blendtec and Vita-Mix
didn't do very well.....even with the 96-ounce carafe of Blendtec,
and the tamper of Vita-Mix.
I think the test points up the fact that a Tamper (or 'plunger' as
she calls it) is sometimes needed.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:46PM

That's an interesting video, WY. It made me curious to know more about that KitchenAid. My objection is that both tests they ran were of a particular type of blender abuse - the too-big object tests how well the blender can move a huge object within range of its blades. That's useful and interesting, but I would have liked to see some testing with some other difficult situations: blending without a liquid base, filling the carafe too full, using almost entirely frozen ingredients. If they ran a test to see how well these blenders could liquefy diced raw pumpkin or convert soaked almonds to yummy nut butter that would have been good.

Actually, the more I think about it, the too-big object test is possibly one of the least informative tests since chopping an apple or orange into four pieces is not something I mind doing.

I am intrigued by that Kitchenaid, though. Would like to know more. Not sold yet.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 12, 2010 04:25PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> This 5 Blenders comparison test by Popular
> Mechanics
> shows the $150 KitchenAid coming out on top.
> Blendtec and Vita-Mix
> didn't do very well.....even with the 96-ounce
> carafe of Blendtec,
> and the tamper of Vita-Mix.
> I think the test points up the fact that a Tamper
> (or 'plunger' as
> she calls it) is sometimes needed.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Thanks WY. I've watched that video a couple of times. It's interesting to be sure. Still, for the orange test, there was too little liquid to take advantage of the Blendtec & Vitamix's superior power. Even so, with the 96 oz for the Blendtec and tamper for the Vitamix, the operator acknowledged that the blended product in the Blendtec and Vitamix were superior to the Kitchenaid.

Regarding the apple test, it was rushed at the end and not transparent. They didn't tell you how much liquid was put into the blenders at the start and you were not able to see the actual blending begging the question of operator error. To get the full benefit of the more powerful blenders, there needs to be both sufficient liquid to blend properly and also proper operator skill use the correct setting. If someone is on a budget and wants to get a Kitchenaid, I have no argument. But as the PM operator acknowledged for the orange test, the Vitamix and Blendtec products were superior. I own a Blendtec with a 96 oz carafe. And to get the most out of my blender, I don't throw whole pieces of apple or orange into the blender to keep the orange skin and apple seed from contaminating my smoothie. Like most people, I cut and core fruit to reduce premature wear on the blender and reduce blending time.

Still, as I have said on other threads, the Blendtec should offer a tamper, and thanks to WY for the link.

Paul

Date: March 12, 2010 05:28PM

pborst Wrote:
> Still, as I have said on other threads, the
> Blendtec should offer a tamper, and thanks to WY
> for the link.
You're welcome. That wood Tamper will work with both
BlendTec's 64 and 96-ounce containers. I've seen it advertised
for as low as $5.95.....WY

Posted by: flash ()
Date: April 12, 2010 10:23PM

I should have patented my blendtec tamper. I had a barbeque mop that I was given when I ordered a bunch of such items. Going raw, I had no use for it, so I removed the mop part, drilled a hole in it and glued in a small dowel to prevent it from contacting the blades and used it until I pushed too hard one time and caused the rubber lid to compress enough for it to hit the blades.

flash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables