Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Breville Juice Fountain Plus JE95XL
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:21AM

Hello community, i'm a newb to the whole juicer lifestyle and bought this Breville Juice Fountain Plus JE95XL as my first time purchase

i want to live a raw food dietary lifestyle, mainly leafy greens and fruits and hopefully learn how to eat nuts (sprouting and the such)

i've never juiced before and tried to research but its hard for me to find out what information is new and what is old, so does anyone have any experience with this juicer is this a newer juicer? should i get another one as i want to juice wheatgrass as well?

thanks in advance and here's hoping i make it to the success boards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breville Juice Fountain Plus JE95XL
Date: March 12, 2010 03:36PM

Khance,

You purchased one of the best centrifugal juicers that you can buy. The JE95XL is rated 4.4 of 5 stars by 273 users at [best-juicer-ratings.com], which is above average.

While you can't do leafy greens or wheatgrass with this, you can do all sorts of fruits and vegetables which is 1000% better than most people's burgers and pizza. Centrifugal juicers are generally quicker to use and clean-up as compared to masticating or twin-gear juicers that can also handle the greens. So I wouldn't shell out any more $ at this time. Start with this and stick with it. Like exercise, many people give up on juicing after a month or two because it takes a little extra effort.

You're off to a great start with a very fine juicer.

Date: March 13, 2010 01:49PM

thanks a lot for the encouragement and the response, i must admit i'm a little apprehensive as i hear there is a problem with the fuse and unless your handy with sodering and the such it is a pain to correct because of poor customer service, however i think i'll give it to my kid brother because he's into healthy lifestyle choices.

I am leaning towards the omega 8006 i really want to juice leafy greens (raw kales, collads, spinach etc) and wheatgrass so thats what im leaning towards as of now, i know i have the discipline (i stopped eating red meat when i was 13 living in the inner city and public school lunches, stopped eating dairy about four years ago etc) so im sure i can stick to it, not out of force but out of a genuine want for a better lifestlye i've been turned off by the processed foods and watching Food INC was enough for me to say ENOUGH, so here i am, i'm not sure if i'll need a blender and a food processor but thanks for the response and thanks for reading all of this (im a long winded Gemini so my bad) Peace

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: March 13, 2010 03:15PM

Yes you CAN juice greens in the Breville - this is the one I have. All you have to do is juice the greens along with a dense(r) veggie, like celery or carrots at the same time. Works very well for me. I've had mine for almost two years now and have never had any issues with it.

Date: March 14, 2010 12:06AM

@Soraya

thanks for that tidbit of advice, one question, exactly what are denser veggies that i should use with leafy greens, and exactly how much, as for not having an issue in two years thts good to hear but do you use it at high speed becuz thats wht i hear causes the issue, thanks in advance

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: March 14, 2010 02:07PM

I make thick 'cigar rolls' of sorts, say, for example, with collard greens or romaine, with even softer (like spinach or baby greens) inside, with celery sticks or a (couple) carrot(s) in the middle. Trying to juice the greens alone, especially the softer ones, is just a joke & incredible waste of time! The only fruit that I juice are apples, and those I juice in combo as well with celery and carrots. I use the juicer on high speed the majority of the time - try juicing carrots (which I use as the base for almost all my green-veggie juices) on low...ha! - not pretty! ;}

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:18AM

I had the JE95XL juicer & after using it only a few times (spaced out over a time span of several months), it started having problems with leaving pieces of produce in the juice. Luckily I was able to return it. Now that I tried the Omega Vert that will be the only juicer I use in the future unless there's an improvement on that one or one similar.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: April 20, 2010 05:34PM

@gilmoreGirl

hey thanks for your response, i actually am about to order an Omega Vert, but everytime i read up on a juicer theres some naysayer (in this case Wheatgrass Yogi) who makes me reconsider, now whats this about too much pulp in the juice and that defeats the purpose of juicing, i hope that isn't true will wait for word back from you or anyone on the matter if all is good i will order it and give the Breville to my mother.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 20, 2010 06:34PM

Khance,

I'd encourage you to go Omega 8006 or Omega VRT. I like the VRT, Wheatgrass Yogi like the 8006 more. But point is, VRT has a 10 year warranty, the 8006 has a 15 year warranty. The Breville has a one year warranty. If you want to juice leafy greens, don't buy a centrifugal juicer as your only juicer. I just got my VRT and agree with Gilmore Girl and John Kohler of Discountjuicers.com that it is an incredible juicer. I did say it had a little more pulp than I'm used to if you speed juice it. But if you either just slow down the feed, use a nutmilk bag (I don't buy the claim that it increases oxidation as the color of my juice is the same, nor the convenience factor since it takes about 15 second to strain on average) or drink the pulp (it's an option), I'd say go for it. The 8006 will allow you to do a somewhat wider variety of activities than juicing if that's what you are after. Just remember that the VRT can make sorbets and nutbutters though that's not what it was designed to do. See John Kohler's videos at [www.youtube.com]. Best. fwiw, I have no buyers remorse for getting my VRT. It's now my go to juicer. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 20, 2010 08:11PM

I'm going to make one last pitch for the Omega 8004....it's the same juicer as the Omega 8006, but is in White rather than Chrome and Black. Plus, it lists for $259, whereas the 8006 lists for $299.
Order from John Kohler at DiscountJuicers.com, and use TENSPOT as the discount code and buy an 8004 for $249, or an 8006 for $289.
There.....now I can sleep tonight....WY
P.S. I've devoted my Life to Juicing and Juicers. I've spent literally thousands of dollars over the years testing different juicers. I prefer the Omega 8004 (8006) over the Omega VRT330....especially if you're going to juice on a regular basis.

Date: April 21, 2010 07:07PM

Khance,

For the record, I deeply respect and value Wheatgrass Yogi's opinion very much on all juicer and blender purchases. He has been and continues to provide tremendous value added in helping to understand tradeoffs between juicers. Notwithstanding his preference for the 8006 or mine for the VRT, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I will stipulate in his favor that he has had the benefit of looking at both the 8006 or 8004 and VRT. I haven't. I've compared what I own which includes a VRT, a Greenpower Kempo twingear juicer and my Omega Centrifugal juicer. And while I'm afraid, there is no room for a 4th juicer in this house (most people think I'm nuts for having 3), if there were, it would probably be the 8006 or 8004. Based on John Kohler's input [www.youtube.com], these are his top two juicers. There are tradeoffs with going for one versus or another. I'd say listen to John and to Wheatgrass Yogi and see what your needs are. The next move is yours! winking smiley

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 07:08PM by pborst.

Date: April 21, 2010 07:16PM

To Khance,

Apologies for the inoperative link in the post above WY's. Try this one [www.youtube.com]. Best

Paul

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: April 21, 2010 07:46PM

To paul. You didn't mention the price difference between the Breville and the Omega. Shouldn't that count?

Date: April 21, 2010 08:11PM

I've seen Breville's online for $150 about half of the new price of an Omega VRT. But one year warranty vs. 10 plus the diversity of what you can juice with a masticating juicer (8006 or VRT). Apples and Oranges (maybe that's not a good metaphor since all of the juicers in question can juice them).

Date: April 21, 2010 08:40PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....Based on John Kohler's input
> [www.youtube.com]
> duajE, these are his top two juicers. There are
> tradeoffs with going for one versus or another.
After viewing John Kohler's video on the Omega VRT330 vs
the Omega 8004, I'll have to back down from my strong opinion in
favor of the 8004. I've used a horizontal single-auger for many years,
beginning with the Samson 6 in 1, then the Omega 8002, then the Omega
8003, and finally the 8004. Omega has a track record for upgrading their
horizontal auger juicers. The Omega VRT330 is brand new, and has several
flaws (IMHO). Plus, the 8004 is so easy to clean compared to the VRT.
...My apologies to anyone who owns and loves the VRT....WY

Date: April 22, 2010 12:18AM

No apologizes necessary WY. Having not even looked an 8006, I don't feel I'm in a position to compare them. But having a Greenpower Kempo, I don't think I need an 8006. If I bought the 8006, I'd sell the Greenpower Kempo.

In any case, I don't understand your last post, you have to back down from your strong opinion in favor of an 8004 because an 8004 has less flaws than a VRT and is easier to clean? That doesn't make any sense. Presumably that should make a stronger opinion for the 8004, should it not?

Paul

Date: April 22, 2010 12:29AM

To follow up on my earlier post, per John Kohler, there are trade offs between the VRT and 8006.

8006 is less expensive, does a wider range of functions besides juicing, easier to clean, better at straight greens? Longest warranty in the business, 15 years, 5 years longer than VRT

VRT has faster juicing time, self-feeding and self-cleaning functions, better at fruits and combination juices, auger is better shaped to take larger chunks of hard produce, e.g. carrots. Long warranty, though not as long as 8006.

In the end, both are good, no doubt. Best.

Date: April 22, 2010 01:56AM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the end, both are good, no doubt. Best.
I think you covered all the bases.....good reporting.
The problems I had with the Omega VRT330 were basically unfamiliarity with
a new juicer. I had trouble putting it together and taking it apart.
Then there was that terrible 'squeak'. That immediately turned me against
it. Hopefully that disappears with time. Plus, the large screen area, and
many nooks and crannies make it difficult to clean. Also, there was a rubber
plug that I never did figure out its purpose.
But, if I heard it right, John Kohler prefers the VRT over the 8004. So I
can't argue too much.....WY

Date: April 27, 2010 09:50PM

thanks to all for the added input WY and Pborst (especially) i am under the impression that either way i will not have buyers remorse and so i feel better, i will indeed give the breville (unopened by the way) to my mother as for her it would be a novelty to her kitchen, my lil brother will probably use it more

So it comes down to me i guess huh, well for any last input from anyone i'm going to try to live a Raw Foods lifestyle, no meat, and i want to eat plenty of greens leafy greens (moreso than fruits though i do want fruits)

im not familiar with certain terms i see used alot on this board some of which inclue:

nutmilk bag (i assume this is some type of strainer but i've heard ppl say oxidation and others say no cuz the color doesnt change)

sorbets (a type of yogurt or cream? made by juicers? blenders?)

i don't consume dairy so i believe that about covers my wants/needs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables