Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicer recommendation
Posted by: bpbhoo ()
Date: August 18, 2006 06:24AM

I have been researching for days on the right juicer to buy and I am still unsure. I hope someone can help me. I currently have the Acme 5001 centrifugal but would like to switch to one that would yield higher quality juice and is quieter. I am contemplating either a dual stage single auger or a twin gear. Here is my info:

Am currently juicing carrots, other hard veggies and hard fruits. Would like to juice leafy greens. Someone suggested the Omega 8003 but I read somewhere that single augers don't juice carrots efficiently. However, the Omega 8003 is a dual stage single auger..would that make a difference when juicing carrots?

My current juicer stains and I don't want to use chemicals to clean it. Would love one that is stainless steel where there is contact with the produce.

If I do have to go with a non-stainless steel juicer, I noticed there are different "plastic" juicers - nylon, melamine, polycarbonate. Which of these materials are the most stain resistant and stable?

Thank you!

Sha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicer recommendation
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2006 08:11AM

With the introduction of high speed blenders such as vatamix and total blender, juicing is not that important, you should think about getting a blender and try green smoothies. Here is a juicer comparison page [www.discountjuicers.com]

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 18, 2006 04:39PM

I'm a Champion juicer fan, many say it's out dated, but I still have a long way to go before I out grow mine. As well as juicing, you can also make nut butters and banana icecream with it.

It's made of food grade Nylon, but the inside part of the juicer has a stainless steel insert, so the food on plastic surface area is well reduced.

It's also fairly easy to clean compared to the centrofuge juicers I've used. Only one small plate to clean food particals out of, the reset can be cleaned by rinsing (unless you've made nut butter, in which case you need to use soap to get the oils off).

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: August 18, 2006 08:54PM

You know, when I was first told to juice by my mom's naturopath (my mom has breast cancer) my first thoughts were "wouldn't it be better to blend than juice because of the fibre elimination in juicing?". So what is the current mode of thinking? A combo of both? If blending veggies, can one's body handle all that fibre? What is so great about a Vitamix?

Tx!

Sha

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 18, 2006 10:02PM

Heheh, some people here will tell you that juicing will kill you in a couple of days (ok, i didn't hear that) and causes rapid aging and is really bad for your health. Personally I think that is complete poppy-@#$%& (BS).

My perference is for combining juicing and blending. Juice some fruit, add the juicing to some bananas, flax seeds, papaya, mango, some greens in a blender and make a nice smoothy. My experiments with just blending didn't work out well - too much fiber I think.

Ian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2006 01:32AM

I too like to combine juicing and blending they work so well together. Blending alone does not work for me.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 20, 2006 01:45AM

I'm a breville, omega and greenstar fan. Depending on your needs the Breville Juicer Plus may be what you need. Bed, Bath and Beyond has it for about $149 but if you use a 20% off coupon it comes out to aroud $119. This is a great first juicer to own and you will use it for years to come regardless of when you decide to upgrade. Juicing has never been so much fun with cleanup being a snap.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: August 20, 2006 06:39AM

Thank you all for your feedback. It's been very helpful. I will combine juicing and blending.

Sha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables